• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digimon Savers; an Old Anime Returns (mild spoilers)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I have just finished watching the first episode of Digimon Savers, the fifth season of the Digimon anime franchise, and I must say that I am very impressed. This new series has great potential, so I shall follow it for a while and see how it turns out. I am nineteen years old, old enough to have watched the original first season when it first aired on American television, and I am relishing this feeling of nostalgia. I will not write a full summary of the episode here, for that would take to long, but I shall write a brief review.

Pros (what was good about the first episode):

1. after years of lying dormant and losing popularity, the Digimon franchise has returned and is going to reclaim its glory!

2. the animation is, in my opinion, crisp and smooth, with excellent attention to detail. No dull colors or lackluster shades.

3. The two main characters, Masaru Daimon and Yoshino Fujieta, so far seem to be interesting people with lots of room for character development. They are not flat or narrow.

4. Greymon looks AWESOME! The animators have redisgned him; he looks so much fiercer and cooler than he did in season one.

Cons (what was, unfortunately, not good about the first episode):

1. the people at D.A.T.S. (Digital Accident Tactics Squad) were a bit too quick to take Masaru into their confidence.

2. Agumon's head was slightly too large in comparison to his body, which was not the case in the first two seasons (a very minor complaint, but it still detracted from the visual appeal).

3. the show started off a bit too quickly; more time should have been spent on character development than on action.

Speculations (my own guesses of what will happen in future episodes):

1. Masaru's father, who, according to Yoshino, disappeared ten years ago, will return in a complicated plot twist and play a major role in the series much later.

2. a romance will develop between Masaru and Yoshino.

3. a new form of evolution will be introduced, as has happened in each season following the first.

Other Commets:

1. did anyone notice how the digivices resemble Ipods?

2. When Cockatrimon used its special attack, its feathers glowed in a manner similar to Godzilla's spikes glowing when he uses his atomic breath.

3. I am hoping thay this series stays strong, the way that seasons one and two did, and does not lose its steam after the first dozen or so episodes, as seasons three and four did.

4. I am hoping thay 4Kids does not obtain the license to this series; they would ruin it as they have done with One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!

5. The title of this thread is a parody of the English title of episode 19 of season two ("An Old Enemy Returns"). Anime smile

So, what are everyone else's thoughts on the first episode of this new series?
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
yeah i have seen the first eps to really good i love the new animation except all the digimon look huge compared to the other season and geogreymon looks awsome, and Masaru's father and grandfather the guy who gave him his digivice ic will play an importent part of the series and the reason DATS wants him and wont hesitate to get him is because he has a digisoul and so far only 3 people have them Masaru,Tohma,Yoshino and they do have a new evolution hear is there evolution line

Agumon -> Geo Greymon -> Rise Greymon -> Shine Greymon
Gaomon -> Gaogamon -> Mach Gaogamon -> Mirage Gaogamon
Lalamon -> Sunflowmon -> Lilamon (from lilac) -> Rosemon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Allow me to comment on your comments:

DemonDragonJ wrote:

Pros (what was good about the first episode):

1. after years of lying dormant and losing popularity, the Digimon franchise has returned and is going to reclaim its glory!

Well let's hope so anyway. Still even if it was bad I'd probably find a way to enjoy it. Just keep in mind that even though there was a long wait before the 5th season, in Japan the franchise managed to stay alive through manga, movies and other such things. We had the occasional video game and that's about it.

Quote:
2. the animation is, in my opinion, crisp and smooth, with excellent attention to detail. No dull colors or lackluster shades.

Then animation is a nice, fresh change for the franchise. After for seasons of "cartoony" animation it's nice to see the show "evolve" into something with a bit more realism to it.

Quote:
3. The two main characters, Masaru Daimon and Yoshino Fujieta, so far seem to be interesting people with lots of room for character development. They are not flat or narrow.

Indeed they do, especially with the kids in this series being teenagers that will have to come to terms with some more adult-like issues. Plus I think there's going to be even more of a focus on humans in this series since it seems that for the time being the story takes place in the real world.

Quote:
4. Greymon looks AWESOME! The animators have redisgned him; he looks so much fiercer and cooler than he did in season one.

yeah, I'm pretty happy with the new take on Greymon, nice of them to give us a little preview of his other forms in the openning animation. Can't wait to see Gaomon in action. Not too thrilled by the concept of digimon food, that's a little too "virtual pet" for me.

Quote:
Cons (what was, unfortunately, not good about the first episode):

1. the people at D.A.T.S. (Digital Accident Tactics Squad) were a bit too quick to take Masaru into their confidence.

If the original synopsis of the series is true, then that probably has something to do with the fisherman than gave him his Digivice.

Quote:
2. Agumon's head was slightly too large in comparison to his body, which was not the case in the first two seasons (a very minor complaint, but it still detracted from the visual appeal).

At first I thought the same thing, then I remembered the first movie and the HUGE Agumon that was featured there. By that comparison this one is about medium sized and the one from the first two seasons was small. I think his overall size just made his head look big.

Quote:
3. the show started off a bit too quickly; more time should have been spent on character development than on action.

I'll admit I was a little surprised that it didn't start with Masaru, but rather with Yoshino. Still, it worked better in the end when we found it wasn't Agumon who took out all of those guys.

Quote:
Speculations (my own guesses of what will happen in future episodes):

1. Masaru's father, who, according to Yoshino, disappeared ten years ago, will return in a complicated plot twist and play a major role in the series much later.

Probably sooner than you think, read my response to your first con and see if you can make the same connection I did.

Quote:
2. a romance will develop between Masaru and Yoshino.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Masaru is 14 and Yoshino is 18, there's quite a gap there. Besides, I'm thinking Masaru is going to be too busy with his rival Tohma to have a romantic relationship.

Quote:
3. a new form of evolution will be introduced, as has happened in each season following the first.

Didn't they all ready do that with the Digisouls? Their evolutions all the way up through Ultimate (according to the Digimon iC) look to be pretty standard evolutions, though. I really don't expect them to go too far over the top when it comes to making the Digimon digivolve to higher levels. I've heard something mentioned about cards, but I think people are confusing the toy for the show.

Quote:
Other Commets:

1. did anyone notice how the digivices resemble Ipods?

Yep, but instead of an iPod, it's an iC (C for charge as in "Digisoul Charge")

Quote:
2. When Cockatrimon used its special attack, its feathers glowed in a manner similar to Godzilla's spikes glowing when he uses his atomic breath.

Did you also notice that GeoGreymon has this special effect added to his voice giving him a very Godzilla sounding reverberation? I love that!

Quote:
3. I am hoping thay this series stays strong, the way that seasons one and two did, and does not lose its steam after the first dozen or so episodes, as seasons three and four did.

Well, I can't agree with you here. Season one and two did stay strong, but I felt the same way about season 3 which had, IMO, the strongest, and darkest, ending of all seasons. Season 4 I rather enjoyed as well the plot twist with Kouichi spoiler[going from evil to good and then turning out to not have a physical form because he's dead] was a much overlooked highpoint for the series.

Quote:
4. I am hoping thay 4Kids does not obtain the license to this series; they would ruin it as they have done with One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!

Well, Yugioh isn't worth saving IMO, but that's for another topic all together. Digimon traditionally is light on edits, so it's hard to say that this season would be treated any differently by whatever network does get it. Personally I think Disney still has the rights and will be working on getting this one as well. Cartoon Network could do well with it, but I'm so tired of them shuffling their schedule every other week that I'm starting to have trouble keeping interest in them. I could easily see 4Kids going for this as a way to get out of their rut, I doubt they'd treat it any differently than Saban did which was just as heavy handed when it came to edits, but took a better approach when it came to Digimon.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute...I am confused here. How do you two (Hikaru393 and Emerje) know so much about the series when it has only just begun?

And could you, Emerje, spoil the final episode of season three for me, as that is the only episode of that season that I have not seen?

Thank you for your feedback.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:
Wait a minute...I am confused here. How do you two (Hikaru393 and Emerje) know so much about the series when it has only just begun?

And could you, Emerje, spoil the final episode of season three for me, as that is the only episode of that season that I have not seen?

i'v seen the first eps subd dont know if you have seen it raw or subd and since digimon is my 2nd fav anime series and i have seen evry eps that has aird raw and dub of digimon i look at any new news i can find and i have read the v-jump savers info and have the digivice ic and that gave me the evolution info

season 3 ending spoiler[takato and guilimon get a new evolution galentmon crimson mode and they kill the d-reaper and then the kids find out there digimon have to leave so they all start crying watching there digimon leave into the portal but at the last sec takato finds a portal to the digital world]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
DemonDragonJ wrote:

i'v seen the first eps subd don't know if you have seen it raw or subd and since digimon is my 2nd favorite anime series and i have seen evry eps that has aird raw and dub of digimon i look at any new news i can find and i have read the v-jump savers info and have the digivice ic and that gave me the evolution info

season 3 ending spoiler[takato and guilimon get a new evolution galentmon crimson mode and they kill the d-reaper and then the kids find out there digimon have to leave so they all start crying watching there digimon leave into the portal but at the last sec takato finds a portal to the digital world]

Okay, now I understand; so there is a manga of this season? Now it all makes sense.

And thank you for the ending of season three. That is indeed quite a sad ending.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:
DemonDragonJ wrote:

i'v seen the first eps subd don't know if you have seen it raw or subd and since digimon is my 2nd favorite anime series and i have seen evry eps that has aird raw and dub of digimon i look at any new news i can find and i have read the v-jump savers info and have the digivice ic and that gave me the evolution info

Okay, now I understand; so there is a manga of this season? Now it all makes sense.

And thank you for the ending of season three. That is indeed quite a sad ending.
no there is no manga for the seson i meant that they gave news in v-jump like picters plot,other stuff the newst manga is digimon next.
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
no there is no manga for the seson i meant that they gave news in v-jump like picters plot,other stuff the newst manga is digimon next.

Oh, I am sorry. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Now I understand.
BlackWarGreymon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
How do i watch episode 1 of digimon savers, can someone please tell me, I've been waiting for this for ages, i have to watch it, no time to waste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1