• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are Singapore VCDs Bootleg?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
While reading the Anime On DVD website, I came across a link to a Singapore website and found VCDs of some anime. While I know that Hong Kong DVDs are boots, is the same true for Singapore?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
DoubleWide wrote:
While I know that Hong Kong DVDs are boots, is the same true for Singapore?

No and yes. The bootlegging industry in Hong Kong is actually going down due to fansubs. I don't have any hard evidence to support this statement, but none of my Hong Kong friends buy boots; they either buy the legally licensed products (such as this fabulously designed Tenjho Tenge boxset), import directly from Japan, or download fansubs.

As for Singapore: as far as I know, there's only one legal anime licensor. For more info about Singaporean bootlegs, see this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. Guess I'll need to save up for a multi-region DVD player and buy my uncut One Piece elsewhere. Wink
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
yea, im pretty sure that all VCDs are bootlegged. Also, if your're buying for collection and not just to watch the show, then it's probably good to get the real thing. bootlegged stuff are of very poor quality.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I have heard of VCD that were legal was in this press release. here Although it deals with legal DVDs being dealt with Singapore it also notes that this company originally released legal VCD. I don't know what the final results were but it might be something to look into if you are interested. I mean if I lived in Singapore I would definetly get that monster DVD, considering it suppose to have English subs. Anyways best of luck to you, constant war of attempting to find legal dvd/vcd is such a challenge.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
yea, im pretty sure that all VCDs are bootlegged.

Read this, Stupidman. Cool
(Note that I was not insulting you)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
It depends on where you buy them.

If you buy them in a store, then they're more likely (maybe a 50% chance) to be legitimate.

If you buy them from a seller on the street, or from a table in the mall, or some such, as in, a non-permanent type thing, then the chances are (maybe 90% chance) that you're getting a bootleg.
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I followed a link on the Anime On DVD website which led me to the Popluar website, one which is a Singapore site with goods from there.

The last I read was that Australia was delaying its release of Uncut One Piece. Crying or Very sad Oh, well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1