• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Saiyuki Reload

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Finally got my last DVD of Reload, Suncoast was slow getting it in.

Speaking of slow, is it just me or did this section of Saiyuki seem to drag. I guess what is bothering me is that 2 DVDs where spent on the "God" story arc and that they didn't seem to get any closer to the West. Not to mention any great fights with Kou and his team.

Does anyone know if the pace of Gunlock is faster? I have enjoyed this so far (not to mention the time and money invested) and I would like some sort of satisfactory conclusion.

BTW I've been coming to this conclusion for a while now via both anime and manga and I am shocked, just SHOCKED Exclamation that that sick, twisted freak Ni Jenyi is/was spoiler[a Sanzo Priest!] That's just WRONG! spoiler[Who the heck gave him a scroll?]
Minekura Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Dunno what is your definition of drag, but Gunlock is almost the same as Reload. Just more stories of demon encounters. And it does not seem that they are getting any closer to the West.

Hope this was helpful. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Minekura Fan wrote:
Dunno what is your definition of drag, but Gunlock is almost the same as Reload. Just more stories of demon encounters. And it does not seem that they are getting any closer to the West.

Hope this was helpful. Wink

My definition of drag would be that they wouldn't/shouldn't spend 6-7 episodes in one spot like they did in the "God" story arc. That should have been 3 eps. at the most. It just seemed too long to me. This was the first time that I remember that the story spent so much time on one character. Usually, Sanzo and team meet bad guy, Sanzo and Co. get kicked around a little, then S. & Co. get pissed and destroy everything. So that's why the last part of Reload seemed to drag for me.

The first part certainly didn't drag.

Still looking forward to Gunlock though.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
Homura took up a while season. (...okay, other stuff happened in-between, but he was around for a long, long time.)

The "God" arc was pretty long in the manga, too, so I can see why they spent more time on it.

As for Ni? You find out in the RELOAD manga where/how spoiler[he gets his scroll]. Volume three, I believe.
Minekura Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
In that case, for Gunlock, they spent around the same number of episodes on the Hazel/Gato story at the end of the series. Like they did for the "Kamisama" in Reload. I think it's a standard thing.

A bit of exaggeration on that Hazel/Gato story though. But still worth watching if you are a Saiyuki fan.

Enjoy!!!!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I haven't seen the end of the series, there are somethings that I'm hoping for.

1) Kou is able to save his mother. Even though she's frozen in that piller, she's (and anyone else for that matter) is better than Lirin-chan's mother.

2) Goku is able to give his name to Prince Nataku. He wasn't able to do that 500 years ago. That's another part of the story that I hope is fleshed out a bit more. I don't care if it's in the manga or the anime. I'd just like to see it.

3) Last but not least, Sanzo and Co. are able to take care of the "problem" and that sleeze Ni Jenyi gets his!

Guess I'll just have to wait, watch and see!
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

1) Kou is able to save his mother. Even though she's frozen in that piller, she's (and anyone else for that matter) is better than Lirin-chan's mother.

2) Goku is able to give his name to Prince Nataku. He wasn't able to do that 500 years ago. That's another part of the story that I hope is fleshed out a bit more. I don't care if it's in the manga or the anime. I'd just like to see it.

3) Last but not least, Sanzo and Co. are able to take care of the "problem" and that sleeze Ni Jenyi gets his!

2.) The Gaiden manga's still running, but I think it's drawing to a close. I'd love to see that, too, though. I'm curious to see how Nataku will play into things (or, I suppose, if he does) when they finally get to their destination.
I don't think Gunlock covers any of Gaiden, so... And Hazel and Gato have nothing at all to do with Nataku. Now, with spoiler[Nii/Ukoku] on the other hand... Wink But I think that bit of the manga came out after Gunlock was made, so I doubt the anime covers that.

3.) Again, not sure about the anime, but with current events in the manga, I'm totally with you on that. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

2.) The Gaiden manga's still running, but I think it's drawing to a close. I'd love to see that, too, though. I'm curious to see how Nataku will play into things (or, I suppose, if he does) when they finally get to their destination.
I don't think Gunlock covers any of Gaiden, so... And Hazel and Gato have nothing at all to do with Nataku. Now, with spoiler[Nii/Ukoku] on the other hand... Wink But I think that bit of the manga came out after Gunlock was made, so I doubt the anime covers that.

3.) Again, not sure about the anime, but with current events in the manga, I'm totally with you on that. Wink

So, in other words, even after the anime ends, keep reading the manga and I should be satisfied with both types of endings!

Thanks!

Just checked the Encyclopedia. I hope that Saiyuki Gaiden will be released here. Looks like some of my questions, even though it's a prequel, might be answered there. Why wasn't that released before or just after the Saiyuki anime/manga were released here? Oh, well. Manga/anime compainies have done dumber things.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Just checked the Encyclopedia. I hope that Saiyuki Gaiden will be released here. Looks like some of my questions, even though it's a prequel, might be answered there. Why wasn't that released before or just after the Saiyuki anime/manga were released here? Oh, well. Manga/anime compainies have done dumber things.

I'd guess that it's because up until last month, there was only one collected volume. Gaiden was on hiatus for a while. I'd assume Tokyopop will announce it eventually, but you never know. ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1