• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime; from TV to Film

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hello fellow anime fans and welcome to my new topic. on today’s discussion i would like to talk about adaptations from TV series to film.

Anime TV series are sometimes so popular that after the series is complete they decide to make a film. Sometimes this doesn’t all make a lot of sense epically if something tragic had happened during the final episodes of the series example of this would be in cowboy bebop spoiler[the death of Spike Spiegel]. Now they explain that the film was to fit in between episode 23,24 (i think). But what i want to know is this a bad or a good thing.

some may see the movie as ruining a great series that should be left alone and untouched, others believe its better to make and movie and maybe even a second series. i want to know what you guys out there think.

so finally anime adaptations from tv series to film,
a good or bad thing???

(please give examples also)

cheers Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I think it all depends on the story of the movie. If it holds its own as a film and work for an audience that hasn't seen the series, then yeah it's good.

Your example of Cowboy Bebop, in my opinion, is one that works as a stand-alone. I'm not so sure about movies that propel the series' story further (i.e. Full Metal Alchemist, which I haven't seen yet)--unless, of course, it could be understood by people who haven't seen the series.

An (non-anime) example is Serenity. I thought that was a great movie; and apparently, the people who watched the series felt it connected wonderfully as well (I haven't seen the series, but want to now).

I think it's a good way to get people intrigued by the story enough where they're like, "Awesome movie! Oh, there's a series that is before it? I should check it out!"

So, short answer: yes, as long as it is a good film.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
Anime TV series are sometimes so popular that after the series is complete they decide to make a film. Sometimes this doesn’t all make a lot of sense epically if something tragic had happened during the final episodes of the series example of this would be in cowboy bebop spoiler[the death of Spike Spiegel].

Something that's always confused me about this. Maybe I have my information wrong but I don't recall Cowboy Bebop being that popular in Japan. I know it was popular though for a bit. I know for a fact it's not popular at all in Japan right now. It certainly wasn't anything groundbreaking to the Japanese or I'm sure it would have left some kind of mark, which it hasn't. I'm wondering how it ever got a movie. Possibly it was made to be marketed at Americans?
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
that’s a good point, i personally feel that the movie was at most times Americanised, the series is an easy series to watch but a masterpiece none the less. However i could be said that it is the kinda series that gets people interested into Anime, so therefore isn’t as hardcore i suppose which could be giving it this American feel. and also the tittles of each session normally an American song or album title.

the film for me felt really Americanised to me was more about terrorists than relating to the episodes. i am a British citizen don’t really care to much if the film was trying to put across a secret message about terrorism as long as it is enjoyable to watch. another thing is the studio that made the movie was Colombia again an American film studio this could have had some effect on the film.

i hope i made some sense but thank you for your comment Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
i hope i made some sense

Yeah I'm understanding ya, but I disagree. I don't see terrorism as being an "American issue," but a world issue--you can't deny that it happens all over the planet. You could be right that the Cowboy Bebop movie focused on the issue of terrorism rather than tell the story (which is bad for any movie to do, although all stories have a message). I don't recall it doing that, but some people pick it up more than others and I haven't seen the movie in a while.

Furthermore, I do recall there being a few terrorist issues addressed in the series: Space Warriors in ep. 4 and Teddy Bomber in ep. 22. Most of the episodes of the series didn't have much of a connection, but rather their own story to tell for each half hour--given exceptions are the episodes connected to give the characters a developing story for themselves.

I think the whole series was made with a world-wide audience in mind--it just so happens that the creators were influenced the most by America (The US did occupy their country after WWII). Also, Colombia may have distributed the movie in America, but I doubt they made it.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
yea i see what you mean but the general feel of the movie to me was american and the fact that it was produed and marketed by an american studio americas 3rd highest ranking studio after disney and warner brothers. may have had some sort of imfluence. it just the movie feels different to the series. i was drawn better and more clear and clean cut. but i think that it might have been the fact it was trying to stand alone as a movie that made me think in this way. because we see all the characters being introduced more blantely and the story line that doesnt realte to any of the characters personaly. except for the fact that vincent fought on the war on titan and so did vicious. i guess i was just being deluded about the whole terrorism thing.

anyway i want to hear other examples of tv series to film and what you guys think of them so please give us a shout.

thanks jousha for you comments
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw that movie and personally I didn't like it. All flash and no life really. It's allegedly based on some manga but maybe its just a really loose adaptation. If anyone has read the manga/seen the anime and also seen the book do you think that they should have messed witht the anime/manga or left it the same cause I'm sure that the manga/anime has to better than the adaptation.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
yea the anime is much better and i read a few of the comics but i dont really like them. i like the film on its own but when compared to the series is seems less good.

thanks for your comments so far! Very Happy
Urb'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
My Current dilemma is currently, do i watch Macross Plus, or Macross Plus : Movie first.. i guess this comes under this heading seeing as the Movie came after the series, but at the same time tells the similar story as series, just redited with new content and bits taken out..

Cowboy Bebop movie was just like any other episode just a better episode storyline, because i watched it in between the recommended episodes, though i had this opportunity, i guess if you watched it at the time, you may have a different persepective on it..

If the series is openended, then a movie is normally welcomed, people naturally prefer closure as to move on..

as used in the above example, Serenity is the perfect example, im sure the series could have continued for a full 24 series, but i think that film was perfect ending as long as it was just that and not just a cash in to a sucessful series. i think thats the main point, is the movie used to tell a story and hold its own, then good. if its a blatant cash in, and theres no continuation of any storyline/arc then it is never as successful (ie the new rocky/rambo films)

anime adaptions to film is a good thing, like films are derived from novels/books people like to view the original source if its avaliable..
though I dont know many anime films that have gone this way, (and being Aeon Flux is not technically anime but american)
i just say Jurassic Park made me buy the book, and if its a sucessful adaption from anime into film.. all the better
just look at comic book -> film, it highlights an area people are naieve about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1