• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slice of Life Error Report

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's my understanding that Slice of Life titles are very select unlike the other genres. The stories can be set in worlds that are unique (Aria's on a terraformed Mars, and YKK is in a post-apocalyptic Japan with Alpha being a robot), but the characters have to be normal characters for that world. And the events have to be based in realism, too. It seems that any story that may not have an overeaching storyline, has a little charm, is paced, or that has some "lessons of life" is being marked. I'm surprised Mushishi hasn't been marked yet.

It's not about the normal day events of our humble main character who has sixteen girls chasing him from dawn to dusk while none of his friends have any luck with women. It's not about a main character's daily life even though they know the secret of someone in their class (be it a curse, aliens, maho shoujo, etc). It's about ordinary. Ordinary in their world compared to the average person of their world.

No
School Rumble (TV)
School Rumble (manga)
Green Green (TV) (it's not shoujo either)
Green Green Thirteen: Erolutions (OAV)
Haré+Guu (TV)
Mindgame (movie)
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki (OAV)
The Legend of Black Heaven (TV)
Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy (TV)
Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy Summer Special
Gokujo Seitokai (TV)
Oruchuban Ebichu (TV)
Please Teacher! (TV)
Fruits Basket (TV)
Fruits Basket (manga)
Bottle Fairy (TV)
Figure 17 (TV)
Eternal Family (TV)
Golden Boy (OAV)
Ultra Maniac (TV)
Ultra Maniac (OAV)
Ultra Maniac (manga)

Borderline (I don't consider them as such, but just for discussion)
Air (TV)
Kanon (TV)
Zettai Shonen (TV)
Ping Pong Club (TV)
The Wings of Honneamise (movie)

Also, I don't believe any harem title falls into this category either. Including...
Sister Princess (TV)
Sister Princess: Re Pure (TV)
Love Hina
Ai Yori Aoshi (TV)
Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ (TV)
Ai Yori Aoshi: True Blue Love (manga)
...but I haven't seen them to be sure.

Anyway, have at it if you disagree. I'll provide more detail for each title, if necessary.
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I think Figure 17 would fit better as borderline. If you don't count the battles with the aliens it's pretty much slice of life character drama. The battles break the normal pace but the show is mainly an exploration of a life where you suddenly end up with a twin.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I beg to differ in the case of Sugar and Bottle Fairy. Never mind the fact that the main characters have magical powers. A considerable number of episodes focus heavily on everyday life.

And while we're at it, marking Planetes as "Slice of Life" is very questionable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't think an anime has to based 100% on reality to be considered slice of life. If "Figure 17" isn't slice of life then what is it? It's more about the day to day life of Tsubasa and Hikaru than anything else. I think slice of life is just that, a story about their lives, be it in the future or the past or in a world with aliens or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I don't think an anime has to based 100% on reality to be considered slice of life. If "Figure 17" isn't slice of life then what is it? It's more about the day to day life of Tsubasa and Hikaru than anything else.

That's not the problem, though. Tsubasa is the only human who knows there are aliens, Tsubasa is the only human who fights the Maguar, Tsubasa is the only human who knows of the peril the earth is in. Tsubasa's life IS different from an ordinary child of THAT world. She has a secret double life, etc. So, in essence, her life is in many ways not normal at all.

Quote:
I think slice of life is just that, a story about their lives, be it in the future or the past or in a world with aliens or whatever.

So then, based on that, is everything slice of life? Because every story fits under that definition. Wink

A slice of life title is not dependent on the world, but the characters. The characters should be normal, with no "secret double-life hidden from their friends (except the closest one)" For good slice of life titles check out things like Piano, Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I personally think Haibane Renmei and NeiA_7 fit into this category (though to a lesser degree). None of those worlds are normal (well, Piano's is), but the characters aren't out of place or special (other than being the main character(s) in a story).

areaseven wrote:
I beg to differ in the case of Sugar and Bottle Fairy. Never mind the fact that the main characters have magical powers. A considerable number of episodes focus heavily on everyday life.

For the encyclopedia, I guess it's okay, since,

Quote:
An anime is largely defined by its genres. For this reason, having a few elements of a genre does not necessarilly mean that genre defines the anime. {...} Please only include genres that define the anime.

...and I can't argue that Figure 17 and Sugar are heavily influenced by slice of life elements. So extending the umbrella to cover these titles is okay by me. I still don't consider them slice of life, though.

------
****POSSIBLE SPOILERS****

I see a lot of titles have had slice of life removed already, for that, thank you. A lot haven't, I'm going to assume that's because there wasn't enough evidence to change it since, for those, nobody posted or commented in this thread.

So:
Green Green (TV)
About two lovers, fated to be apart (or something). Well, he is put in normal time, she is put a 1000 years in the future. She time-travels back, makes him remember, and then well, they realize the reality of the situation and part (something totally unique to a harem title Razz). But, basically like all harem titles, the main character has a bunch of girls fawning over him while his poor friends can't get none. It's also way too contrived, like all harem.

Green Green Thirteen: Erolutions (OAV)
Erolutions maybe close enough because it doesn't deal with the fantastic elements as much, but since it's part of the same story I don't count it.

Gokujo Seitokai (TV)
Story about schoolgirls who control a school (and various companies behind the scenes (where their budget comes from)). Their dorm has a self-destruct device, there are secret high-speed tunnels, ninjas...have I mentioned Puu-chan? The "cursed" puppet that has a mind of it's own as long as it's on a hand...any hand. And, there are "powers" or something. I haven't seen all of it yet.

Air and Kanon should have been moved up to NO, but I forgot to do it. Those stories have a lot of supernatural influence on them.

Ping Pong's way too over the top with it's antics.

Zettai Shonen's events and those that happen to the main characters are out of the ordinary. The story is slowly paced with a good deal of thinking being necessary, but the story is based on paranormal events.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1