• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has an anime ever changed your life?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever watched an anime that touched you or inspired or made you think, so much that it changed your life?

Maybe it made you do things you wouldnt have done if it hadent been for it? maybe it changed your personality or learned you something important?

Does anime mean a lot to people here or is it just mere entertainment like regular movies and TV series?
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime is mostly entertainment to me, but when I watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time, It showed a different perspective of WW2 that I hadn't seen before. In school, they spin it like we were the only country that ever experienced loss (that and the Jewish population.) They never really mentined the loss of life that the Jappanise had suffered, except for the A-bomb. So, it was refreshing to see a differt perspective on a major world event.

That, and I was crying my eyes out at the end.
Deaths_fallen_angel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Well for me it did I think one of the most inspiring animes that I have ever seen was Inuyasha. I say this because it is so touching on how the story unfolds and i like how it brings out the emotions within you. When I saw the second Inuyasha Movie I cried Anime cry . Well I just wanted to put my thoughts in.
Inuyasha also made me feel like there is someone out in the world that is wating for you. And I hope I find someone just like Inuyasha Embarassed . Kind,Sweet,Funny,Romantic, and also TELLS THE TRUTH. Inuyasha also made me pick up my drawing again and I want to show you all it. In the drawing Inuyasha is holding Kagome and they are under a cherry blossom tree and he is holding her Oh I just love how it came out! But anyway I can't wait till the new episodes come out because I am going to die if I don't see them soon.

Deaths_fallen_angel

Last edited by Deaths_fallen_angel on Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, recently the Kimaguri Orange Road movie inspired me to get off my ass and start dating. My new years resolution is get up the courage to ask this girl from work I like out. One of the best films I've seen a long time too. Embarassed
Prosercunus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Jgobats81886 wrote:
Anime is mostly entertainment to me, but when I watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time, It showed a different perspective of WW2 that I hadn't seen before. In school, they spin it like we were the only country that ever experienced loss (that and the Jewish population.) They never really mentined the loss of life that the Jappanise had suffered, except for the A-bomb. So, it was refreshing to see a differt perspective on a major world event.

That, and I was crying my eyes out at the end.

Really? I own that movie and I thought it expressed more the ignorance of past Japanese culture. An example would be spoiler[when he is laying in the train station and people could careless about him and call him trash basically.]

I never really thought that movie really put any negativity toward America besides possibly showing the hell of war.

Edit: I guess one negative thing toward America could maybe be the fact we cared ALOOOOT less about Civillian casulties then nowadays... but then again the Japanese didn't either, Google Nanjing Massacre. Anyhow to stay on topic I wouldnt really say any anime has really changed my life but gave me a perspective on some stuff to an extent.
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Watching Beck made me quit playing video/online games and start thinking seriously about my life (which was like a 4-year plague in my life). It also made me obsessed with the guitar...I'm sure this happens to a lot of people who watch it.
Edensin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist made me start studying alchemy...but that didn't last too long
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
Super GALS! made me start thinking about my life and how i should enjoy it and that i have to try hard when i have a crush on somebody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lapsus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
I cant really think of a drastic change an Anime made in me or my life, but id doesnt mean Anime hasn't changed me...

I am sure that a good Anime just shakes you a bit, then you just walk around for a week like under some sort of a drug.. and then it suddenly stops, and you feel nothing and empty and like crying.. BUT!

A chasm in ones soul is made and the influence of an anime has layed its seed into ones heart..

I want to say, that even there is no immediate change, Everything we watch and hear makes us a bit better and experienced.

I, for example, understood, that there IS someone out there whom you live for and that there is someone who lives for you.. happy are those who have met the person Confused
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
No, I can't say that any anime has changed my life. For me, it's simply my preferred form of video entertainment. But it's not a way of life. If I couldn't watch any more anime, I'd certainly miss it but it wouldn't be the end of life. (^_*)
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, recently the Kimaguri Orange Road movie inspired me to get off my ass and start dating. My new years resolution is get up the courage to ask this girl from work I like out. One of the best films I've seen a long time too. Embarassed

Never seen KOR, but I'll wish you good luck with your coworker. If things go poorly, are you strong enough to still work around her if she declines your advances and tells everyone else? I'm not saying you shouldn't ask her, but I've seen plenty of people at my job who've been turned down after they made their feelings known. Invariably those feelings are made public to everyone in the area and sometimes that proves difficult for some people to deal with at that point. So, just be aware of the potential consequences beforehand and you'll be fine.

Prosercunus wrote:
Edit: I guess one negative thing toward America could maybe be the fact we cared ALOOOOT less about Civillian casulties then nowadays...

Tell that to 30,000 Iraqis.

Edensin wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist made me start studying alchemy...but that didn't last too long

Priceless! Thanks for the laugh.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this on another thread. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, it made me rethink the way I had been living my life. It was a harsh reminder of reality to me. I kind of wish I never saw it.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I mentioned this on another thread. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, it made me rethink the way I had been living my life. It was a harsh reminder of reality to me. I kind of wish I never saw it.

You shouldn't take it so seriously. There are already hundreds of "examples" out there screaming "Live this way and you'll be a happy man" to make it unnecessairy to percieve the same from an anime series.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
hikaru no go inspired me to learn how to join my school's go club and learn how to play! i never knew that such a dull looking game is actually fun! (i severly suck at it however)

Anime has made me more open minded, with all the issues going around in anime, it has made me think more about other people's perpectives and wanting to understand people.

Anime has also changed me life as in it's much earlier for me to make friends, because when i was in elementary school, i was too influenced by other people's likes that i never found something to sincerely like myself (like in kindergarten i said magenta was my favorite color because my friend said that.. but now i know i hate magenta).
it has caused me to be more independant in what i like and gave me more courage to be an individual. and i can find friends easily in new surrounding by meeting people with the same interests.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Watching a lot of anime has got me even more interested in learning the Japanese Langauge. I've always been interested in it and self-taught myself for a while a few years ago, but gave up. I had only watched anime on CN at that point as well...Last year i met a friend who was into anime and he got me back into it. I've been learning Japanese little by little as a result.

Watching Full Metal Alchemist has just...totally made me think....i don't even know how it changed my life but whoa...it has.

Anime has totally become the central focus of my life...which i don't know if it's a bad thing or not. I SHOULD be doing other things...like studying (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!) Yea but seriously. Oh well...i'll put it off some more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1