• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Warning: Thread contains extreme cuteness<3]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
As we all know the Japanese are masters of Cuteness (as well as martal arts, explotions, animation, education, cell phones, giant robots, and many other things). Anyway, what I wanna know is what is the cutest thing you have seen in an anime.

As for me the cutest thing I have seen would have to be the opening theme for Nurse Witch Komugi. From Halko's absolutely adorable voice to the little red hearts that thump to the beat of Ai no Medicine, everything just screams moe!<3 Oh, my heart skips a beat everytime I see Komugi and her puni puni cheeks<3. Well, that's all for me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
Right now, the Anime Saimoe Tournament 2005 has entered its final stage: the last standing four for semifinals are

Souseiseki from Rozen Maiden
vs.
Rei Mii for Zoids Genesis

and

Nanoha Takamachi from Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
vs.
Shinku from Rozen Maiden

Winner of semifinals will compete for the title of the most moe character of 2005. If you take some time to read through the qualifying polls, you'd think those who organized this tournament can host World Cup as well.

My personal vote goes to Misuzu Kamio of Air. Her flowing blond ponytail; pure, innocent smile with carefree personality (nihaha; V!); clumsy from time to time, followed by "Ga...gao;" and the most important factor: spoiler[the sufferings from a thousand-year curse, hidden beneath her beautiful blue-green eyes]. All and all make her more and more adorable. Too bad that she was defeated by Natsuki Kuga of Mai-HiME in the A Block semifinal. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
I knew the Japanese liked moe but I didn't know they had an actual tournament for it... and done in such a professinal manner... awesome. I really appretiate you telling me this. I can't understand any of it, though. Misuzu losing to Natsuki... that's not right, sure Natsuki's kick-ass but I don't really think of her as moe, and not even close to Misuzu. But different people find different personalities attractive. As for that Moe tournament thing, I never knew about that, I'd like to know how many years its been going on for and if possible can you tell me the winners of the previous years? I would really enjoy seeing who's won in the previous tournaments.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
As for that Moe tournament thing, I never knew about that, I'd like to know how many years its been going on for and if possible can you tell me the winners of the previous years?

I don't really know about their histories; I can provide you a link to dozens of different moe tournaments, though: Saimoe Tournament Links.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I would really enjoy seeing who's won in the previous tournaments.

According to here, the winner was Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga from Azumanga Daioh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
I would really enjoy seeing who's won in the previous tournaments.

According to here, the winner was Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga from Azumanga Daioh.

Osaka, I love her. Glad she won. I'm going to have to do some more reasearch on these moe tournaments.

...Com'n somebody else reply other than dormcat, let your inner moe feeling out<3, I know you want to!... maybe I'm just scaring away most people, but you guys really should be more open. Or at least maybe a reply about why you don't want to talk about cuteness will do.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Sugar the apprentice snow fairy. She's all about cute taken to sickening levels.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:
Sugar the apprentice snow fairy. She's all about cute taken to sickening levels.

That's the way I feel about Chii from Chobits. She's so adorable I want to puke. Seriously. I get slightly nauseated. Especially in the early episodes when the only thing she can say is "Chii." I definitely have a ceiling for my cuteness tolerance.

This isn't limited just to girls, right? Because Potato from Air is the most darling doggie ever! I adore dogs and Potato sure is a cutie. The only thing I don't like is the sound he makes instead of a normal dog bark.

That basset hound from Innocence is sure cute, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
How could Misuzu lose to Natsuki? Arghh mad. Anyways I don't know why Puchiko of Di Gi Charat hasn't been mentioned yet. Anyways cuteness for me would be any character that acts child-like but looks more of the early teens age. Characters like that would be like Chii (Chobits) and Eve (Black Cat). However there are other characters that I find cute/kawaii. Characters like Hagu (Honey & Clover - though she did look sorta weird at first but I got past the lolicon thing), Sumomo (Chobits), and Ururu (Bleach). If you want my thoughts of characters that aren't human than here are some other cute characters (for me at least): Kilala/Kirara (InuYasha), the aforementioned Potato (Air), Pochi (He Is My Master) and Pikachu (Pokemon). Anyways thats just a bit of some characters that I find cute.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion Orihime Innue from Bleach, good looking (check out the avitar), and I also really like her voice actor, Yuki Masuoka who does a good job of adding to the cuteness factor. Several scenes in the anime are just classic as well like spoiler[when she is practicing her power and Tsubaki starts chasing her arround the room for calling them out when she's not in danger or when she's talking to Ichigo in the second episode and starts babling Jiberish and runs away.] Laughing

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Right now, the Anime Saimoe Tournament 2005 has entered its final stage: the last standing four for semifinals are

vs.
Rei Mii for Zoids Genesis

Aargh, and I thought I was beginning to understand the concept of moe. Can someone please explain to me how exactly the cross-dressed Souseiseki is moe? Now if you'd said Suiseiseki I could have understood (goes away to look at the doll fanservice scene just one more time...)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Sousei Seki? You sure it's not Suisei Seki? I mean, Sousei Seki's rather boyish-looking, and really doesn't do...all that much at all in the series aside from pretty up the background, while Suisei Seki's not far behind the main dolls, Shinku & Suigin Tou, in terms of amount of spotlight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
That's the way I feel about Chii from Chobits. She's so adorable I want to puke.

She won the title of "the most favorite anime heroine of 2002" in a NewType (Japan) poll in early 2003.

angel_lover wrote:
Now if you'd said Suiseiseki I could have understood
Nagisa wrote:
Sousei Seki? You sure it's not Suisei Seki?

That was because of the strange luck when three of five dolls (Shinku, Suiseiseki, and Suigintou) landed together in B Block. Suigintou lost to Shinku at 2nd round of B Block (573 for Shinku and 520 for Suigintou; My Melody from Onegai My Melody got 313 only); Rozen Maiden supporters had to sacrifice Suigintou. Same thing happened again when Shinku met Suiseiseki at B Block final (470 : 424). Hinaichigo and Souseiseki landed in H Block, where Hinaichigo was defeated by Yakumo Tsukamoto from School Rumble in 2nd round. As a supporting character, no one expected Souseiseki could defeat two strong Mai-HiME main characters (Mai Tokiha and Natsuki Kuga) consecutively. If Suigintou and Suiseiseki were in other blocks, they might have won respective block champions, and the final grand champion competition would be spoiler[a true Alice Game].

The Kakiko server is not on 24 hours a day. If you found the page was redirected to a 404 error message, try the mirror page.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:56 am Reply with quote
As dormcat says, the luck of the draw plays a large part in the outcome of such competitions. Another aspect, I suspect, is that there is a fundamental difference between the Japanese moe and the Western "cute". We're not judging the same factors with the same weight.

It might be amusing to stage our own ANN "moe" contest. Before this turns into a list thread on that account, however, let me just say that such a contest ought to be carefully organised. It shouldn't just be a lot of "I think so-and-so is dreadfully cute" posts.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
It might be amusing to stage our own ANN "moe" contest. Before this turns into a list thread on that account, however, let me just say that such a contest ought to be carefully organised. It shouldn't just be a lot of "I think so-and-so is dreadfully cute" posts.

- abunai

Oh, I'd love it if you guys did that! I'd help in anyway I could to get one organized.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:33 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Souseiseki ... defeat ... Natsuki Kuga

UNPOSSIBLE!

That made me cry a little. Japan...what's wrong with you? Seriously! Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3