• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
how can i know if a LD is legitimate?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosque

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
hi, I just want to read some recommendations for how to recognize a legit laser disc.
I didn't found information on the pirate faq and also search for information on internet search engines like google so, please, don't kill me for posting this.

Here are some pics of an oold LD of mine, can you know if it's original?

The magic word was missing: please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:

It should be legit, for there's the mecha label of U.S. Manga Corps (part of Central Park Media) at the lower left corner, and according to the Encyclopedia USMC/CPM is the North American licensor of Iczer 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Bosque

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:33 am Reply with quote
thank you for your post, i forgot to search in the ann's encyclopedia.

But i still wonder if there are any differences between origianl discs and non-original discs. I mean the discs them-selves, like the round lines o something.

Sorry for the horrible grammar but english is my second languaje.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, and I'm not saying that it never happened, but I don't think that the LaserDisc was popular enough outside of Japan for there to be the scale of piracy that there is for DVD, where I believe the per-unit cost of replication is much, much lower than it is for LaserDisc.

Plus, bootleg LaserDiscs can't hop borders as freely since they are purely analogue (well, the picture anyway) and can only be exported to other countries with the same analogue television picture "standard" (NTSC, PAL, or SECAM).

EDIT: Another thing you do have to take into consideration is that the World Wide Web as we know it today didn't even come into existence until the final few years of LD's nearly 20 year reign as the format of choice among high-end videophiles, and eBay only arrived on the scene barely months before the DVD format became commercially available, so what little Internet there was prior to DVD did little to facilitate international distribution of pirated LDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The only bootleg LD I remember seeing is the old HK release of Akira which had the Both Chinese and English audio tracks. This was released long before the Criterion Akira, although it was not much cheaper and was of poor image/audio quality. Bootlegs for DVDs are indeed far more attractive to pirates since they are often of okay A/V quality and are very cheap to make. Then again I didn't look too hard for bootlegs back in the good old LD days since I've never had any interest in bootlegs.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
This was released long before the Criterion Akira, although it was not much cheaper and was of poor image/audio quality.

There was never a Criterion Collection version of Akira, dude. In any format.
Iron Chef Junkfood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
This was released long before the Criterion Akira, although it was not much cheaper and was of poor image/audio quality.

There was never a Criterion Collection version of Akira, dude. In any format.

Sure there was. I've even held it in my hands...and then i put it back because it was priced at $125 Shocked (this was about 10-12 years ago).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing it in the store too, circa 1995, though I couldn't afford it and didn't even get a LaserDisc player until 1997 anyway (thinking that they'd be around a lot longer than they actually were). Here's a review of the Criterion edition of Akira. I think it was a co-release with Streamline the way Disney/Touchstone co-releases the Wes Anderson movies through Criterion.

Since Streamline ceased-to-be in the DVD era, they couldn't sublicense a DVD version to Criterion.

EDIT: Correction, it's not a review but an essay from the old Criterion website.

This 1995 review from Sci-Fi Entertainment also confirms the existence of the two Criterion releases, whose catalogue numbers were CC1294L (CAV) and CC1435L (CLV).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing something of the like about this, but searching on Criterion's website http://criterionco.com/asp/ I couldn't find it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I just noticed, both the CAV and CLV are listed on the "Browse Laserdisc" section of the official Criterion website. (LD spine numbers 151 and 283.)

I think that's the only place on the current version of the official Criterion site that mentions them, but it certainly is the most authoritative proof of their existence one can find.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The most authororatative proof is actually seeing and owning a copy. It does exist. There are many titles that didn't make it to the DVD transition. I have a copy of the Criterion Blade Runner complete with scene by scene analysis and Syd Mead still frame archive.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I bought my laserdisc player this year. The only laserdiscs I have are the original version of the Star Wars trilogy(which is why I got the payer), Boys in the Hood, The Fugitive, and Stray Dogs(no english subs. I have it on my wall).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
There were apparently two versions of the Criterion Collection Akira--CAV and CLV:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/laserdisc_browse.asp

As for bootleg laserdiscs, it would seem to me to be more trouble than it would most like be worth, as (if I understand and remember the process correctly) in order to make a laserdisc it is necessary to create a glass master for the cost of ~$10,000.

http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/FAQ/FAQ_intro.htm#MediumMovieToLdMasterer

Compare this to videotape and DVDs, where recordable media are available in bulk for pennies each.

"What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what 'the stars foretell', avoid opinion, Care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable 'verdict of history'--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always in to an unknown future; facts are your only chance. Get the facts!

"-- Lazarus Long"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1