• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Epic

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
What anime can be called this (other than Valley of the Wind. heh heh. Joke since Nausicaa is in the Odyssey)? Personally, I've never seen Eva, but it's greatness is not an epic, is it?
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Epid means narrative poem commemorating heroic deeds written in an exalted style. Got that right out of the dictionary since I couldn't put in my own words.Personally, I don't know any anime's that are narratice poems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
Epic (the forum's spelling rules) is also defined (www.dictionary.com's listing) with the following:
ADVERTISEMENT

Related ads:

Epic Disc
Wow Epic Items
Shadow Council
Epic Mortgage
Necro Epic

3 entries found for epic.
ep·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pk)
n.
An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

adj.
Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: “A vast musical panorama... it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice” (Tim Page).
Heroic and impressive in quality: “Here in the courtroom... there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment” (Scott Turow).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From Latin epicus, from Greek epikos, from epos, word, song. See wekw- in Indo-European Roots.]

[/list][/list]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
Going by the definition listed, Evangelion is certainly not an epic to me. I'd say it's more of a tragedy since spoiler[ basically everyone gets killed in the movie]. There's no triumph or any celebrated heroism, though I'd say it does surpass the ordinary quite a bit..
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Going by the definition listed, Evangelion is certainly not an epic to me. I'd say it's more of a tragedy since spoiler[ basically everyone gets killed in the movie]. There's no triumph or any celebrated heroism, though I'd say it does surpass the ordinary quite a bit..

Well Beowulf is concider an epic spoiler[and since u say that everyone gets killed in the movie well beowulf also dies in a somewhat tragic fight agaisnt a dragon] so evangelion might be concider an epic but I never seen the show to know.I'm just goign by what tony k. said in the spoiler. Though I don't know if evangelion has a "narrative poem" so to speak, this would have to be determined by the people who've seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote
Considering Beowulf, it's not considered a tragedy if the hero dies in a way that adds to his greatness. Such an event only makes the story even more epic and memorable.

NGE's third impact might be epic in scale but the characters and the narrative is not IMO epic. Rather than saying what a grand fight it is, the anime depicts the horror of it. And a more dysfunctional lot of characters could hardly be found. Of course, some might argue that the end result was ultimately good but personally I thought it was about the worst that could happen. So overall I think NGE easily qualifies as a tragedy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
NGE's third impact might be epic in scale but the characters and the narrative is not IMO epic. Rather than saying what a grand fight it is, the anime depicts the horror of it. And a more dysfunctional lot of characters could hardly be found. Of course, some might argue that the end result was ultimately good but personally I thought it was about the worst that could happen. So overall I think NGE easily qualifies as a tragedy.

That's an excellent point. I don't necessarily feel the hero needs to live for a story to be considered an epic (a la, Gladiator). But the overall approach to how the movie ended things was as you perfectly described the group of characters, dysfuntional.

I've only seen End of Evangelion once, a long time ago, and in English (which means I wasn't really paying attention), so I'm afraid I can't point out any particular scenarios or events that could help my argument. Although, I'm sure other users here would be able to help me out.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I would consider most of Miyazaki Hayao's films to be epics. I would also reccomend FLCL as to be an epic. There are others that I would consider epics though I consider them more classic than epic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
If you want Epic in the Lord of the Rings type, get 12 kingdoms. The epic scope of that one is both big and believable. Watch that one and you'll do yourself a favor.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ginga Eiyu Densetsu always struck as epic in the Homeric sense. There are so many moments where characters and their fleets are flashed on screen, one after another with their names displayed in the corner. The classical music also helps to bring an epic feel. The span of years in which the books take place and the sheer amount of characters are very epic.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
If you want Epic in the Lord of the Rings type, get 12 kingdoms. The epic scope of that one is both big and believable. Watch that one and you'll do yourself a favor.

I agree however, it seems my initial post wasn't "substantial" enough to remain. Rolling Eyes

Also epic in scale aspect I'd say would be series like Neon Genesis Evangellion and RahXephon in that the whole world is somehow effected in one way or another by the events of the series.

Also many of the Gundam series have a rather expansive and epic feel to them offen involving large scale battles of starships or mecha. They can also be epic on an emotional front like Zeta Gundam for instance.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Only few anime I would call epic... but honestly there are few. Like Maison Ikkoku and GTO. Also Hunter X Hunter.. as epic anime I would call anything that left you breathless and where it takes you through a long and adventerous journey. And once its supposed to end... you wonna cry coz u like it so much. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1