• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
HiFi Animephiles?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
I'm curious: how many of you anime fans would call yourselves videophiles? Audiophiles?

There's nothing I love more than a fine Blu-ray. As of yet, I have not the financial powers to muster a $10K projector and all the wonderful dedicated machines befitting a decent home theatre, but what I've got going at the moment is sustaining me. Namely, a Samsung 245t, an Oppo DV-983H, a PS3, Audioengine A2s, Denon AH-D2000 cans, and an iBasso d10 dac/amp. I've also got a neat-o monprice HDMI switch that has toslink/coax output.

I seem to be getting pretty good results, but I see a colorimeter in my near future, closely followed by something from Eizo...

How do my fellow A/V nerds enjoy their anime? Is anyone rocking a projector? Bonus points if you have it calibrated! Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
I've got a 32" LCD TV, a PS3, and no standalone speakers. And if I did have $10,000 lying around (which I totally don't, like most people), I certainly wouldn't spend it on a projector I don't need.

Yes yes, I know that there are people like yourself who just love to watch and listen to things in mind-blowingly incredible quality, and I am certainly not ragging on you. But I'm an Anime fan first and foremost. As long as my setup works fine (and it does, no doubt about that), then I'm happy. Because I'm content, I see no point in upgrading when I could be spending that vast amount of money on what I love; namely games, Anime, and a few select American television series.

Or heck, spend it on a creature of the opposite sex. Now there's a thought.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
I'm an Audiophile first, Videophile second, and Anime fan third. Have Denon AH-D2000 cans as well - very much in love with them. Personally, a great SACD is my preference over a great Blu-Ray title almost every time.

You can see my setup here, with descriptions of equipment: HT Setup

And you don't need to break the bank with a projector... you can get very nice 1080P projectors for less than 45"+ LCD TV's and absolutely blow them away with the visual experience of an image just as sharp and colorful image but at 4X the size. Good quality Blu-Ray anime titles and 1080P HD projectors are a perfect match:

varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Colorimeters are expensive and might require you to go into your TV's service menu to take full advantage of them which is certainly not recommended unless you're a professional. You can get a calibration disc with color filters fairly cheaply with fairly good results.

A sound pressure level meter, on the other hand, is an absolute must for anyone with a multichannel speaker setup and they don't need to cost very much either. Most people run their surrounds and subs too hot (loud) and drown out dialogue. Trying to level match your speakers by ear is just never going to be good enough.
Vracer111 wrote:
Personally, a great SACD is my preference over a great Blu-Ray title almost every time.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. If you simply mean content, then yes, I agree as BD has, at least so far, gotten the shaft when it comes to audio discs. If you mean quality, then that has nothing to do with the formats; both are lossless. If you're comparing SACD music audio to BD movie audio, most movies are mastered at 16bit/48khz as opposed to the 24bit/96khz of most SACD music discs. And, in all likely hood, the quality of your SACD player is superior to that of your blu-ray player just because the SACD player was designed for maximum audio quality, but even this depends on how your AVR is receiving/sending the audio signals of each.

And finally...that's an awesome setup. I'm curious, how do use the LCD? Is it for gaming, and if so, do you play with it down on the floor? Concerns about gaming are the second biggest reason I don't go for a projector; inferior blacks being number one. Hell, the blacks on my LCD aren't good enough for me. I was hoping OLEDs would take off, but that's looking less and less likely; so, I'm leaning towards plasma for my next TV.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nope. I get a real kick out of it with my computer, cheap 50" 1080p plasma, and mah gaming headset (which I don't use for gaming, btw).
I'm the type who can hardly see improvements. You can insist, but I'd rather have my cozy TV than a home cinema.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess I am somewhat picky about video quality. I am still waiting it out for the Hellsing Ultimate Blu Ray version so I can enjoy it in HD for the first time.

Edit-@ Vracer111; words cannot describe my envy lol. I can't wait until I am old enough and financially stable enough to have a set-up like yours some day. For now, I guess watching anime (on my laptop with headphones and my little sister watching TV and mother talking on the phone in the backround) will have to do.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've got a 32" LCD TV, a PS3, and no standalone speakers. And if I did have $10,000 lying around (which I totally don't, like most people), I certainly wouldn't spend it on a projector I don't need.

Yes yes, I know that there are people like yourself who just love to watch and listen to things in mind-blowingly incredible quality, and I am certainly not ragging on you. But I'm an Anime fan first and foremost. As long as my setup works fine (and it does, no doubt about that), then I'm happy. Because I'm content, I see no point in upgrading when I could be spending that vast amount of money on what I love; namely games, Anime, and a few select American television series.

That's fine, if not ever so slightly condescending. I'm spending money on what I love?

Quote:
Or heck, spend it on a creature of the opposite sex. Now there's a thought.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean compensating for personal deficiencies with financial power to become temporarily attractive. Of course, fundamentally that doesn't seem too different from outright prostitution...but that's entirely disturbing and not at all what I was talking about. You can start that thread! Laughing

@Vracer111: Nice! I've been eyeing the 8700UB, but I hear there are PQ defects on some units...but that's all too far away to really think about. I'll probably start out sub-$3K though.

@varmintx: I'm probably going to snag and Eye One Pro or a Blue Eye or something. Fairly accurate results, psh! I want that greyscale FLAT, thank you.

A serious TV, like a Panny VT-25, or a projector like the Epson Vracer has have calibration options as part of menu by default. Heck, my monitor has all of those options. Doing basic stuff like adjusting greyscale and contrast isn't rocket science; anyone can learn how to do it, how do you think amatuer photographers get by?

I feel you on the speakers, though. In general, there's some pretty massive ignorance on even just speaker placement, much less their configuration. Of course, I'm no titan in this area either; a part of why I love headphones. Wink I'm looking at a future of apartment living, so there'll be a lot of hurdles if I ever want to rock the surround.

Don't give up on OLEDs yet! They've been taking their sweet time, but their coming along. A lot of PMPs and cellphones have them now, Sony has some broadcast monitors out, and LG is getting really close to large scale production. They'll be here one day...

egoist wrote:
You can insist, but I'd rather have my cozy TV than a home cinema.

Why insist? I'm not a minister in the Church of Latter Day Displays. I'm a snob; we haven't the time of day for your kind! :p

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Han Solo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'd rather have my cozy TV than a home cinema.

I honestly thought I was the only person who actually felt this way. I guess it's because I don't know anything about TVs and types of DVDs or BD players. But I'd just rather sit on my bed and watch anime dvds. Or on my comp with a mug of tea.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a 36 in LCD TV, 720 dpi and a slightly crappy surround sound setup. Its not great, but it works pretty well in my rather small bedroom. As for being a audio/videophile.....I grew up watching things on a 26 in old clunky TV back in the 80s. So my tolerance for poor quality has been throughly bred into me, so its not all that important to have eyebleeding visuals and 7.1 Dolby. Its a nice enhancement, but by no means my driving focus in life. Maybe when I get a house with a decent size, I might go in for a better setup, but maybe not.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
A word to the wise: 1280x720 pixels at 36 inches is 40.79 pixels per inch(PPI). Of course most "720p" sets are actually 1366x768, which would mean a whopping 43.39 PPI :p. DPI/dots per inch is more at home as a spec for printers. You might be thinking of dot pitch, which commonly pertains to monitors.

Personally, I don't think I'd bother with anything beyond 5.1. In fact, I'd take whatever my 5.1 budget might be and just put it into a 2.0 or 2.1. I'd much rather some really nice stereo than losing myself in an aural sea of tin-cans. Good speakers are never too old, so approaching it as a long term project can be rewarding.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, surround sound is definitely preferable to stereo so in that regard I would say yeah, I'm a little bit of an audiophile. Couldn't really care too much about video though.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sound quality is the least important thing to me. (Maybe related is the fact that I never listen to music. I get little kick from it.)

Video I do care about, but "big" doesn't move me. I'm just as happy watching a little screen as long as everything else about the image is good quality.

I don't like watching on a laptop, though. Having the keyboard there, and the awareness that maybe there are other applications running and documents open all distracts me and makes it less engrossing!
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree about laptops; there's nothing like sinking into a comfy couch with a mega-display Shocked .
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I have a 52in sony lcd, and two ht setups. I have a sony htib for 24/7 use, and a onkyo receiver w/ aperion speakers when I want that hifi quality. Have 2 pcs, a 360, and a ps3 all hooked up to this. A home theater pc is a must for any ht setup.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about HTPCs...they have the potential to be awesome, but there are caveats. My biggest problem is that I can't get source direct out of one; this means I'm stuck with whatever laughable video processing, hardware or otherwise, the HTPC does. I'd really like to take advantage of having all my media on a hard drive, though.

Fun fact: Windows doesn't play nice with digital audio output. Because the way it puts the data packets together, the resulting data transmission can be not a 1:1 representation of the original file. There is a driver called ASIO that fixes this problem. It doesn't cross a lot of people's minds, but just because you're dealing with digital doesn't rule out issues of fidelity, oddly enough. Mac users don't have this problem, but they long for Blu-ray support. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2