• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guys, I need your help.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foljo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well guys, I quit watching anime about two years ago or maybe a little bit less. As you can see I was out of the loop for a while. However one of these days I was watching Adult Swim ones again and I saw FullMetal Alchemist. What a surprise it was for me, I stopped watching these series about half way through and I didn’t even know the thing got licensed. Well I am watching it now, every Saturday.

For some reason, I find myself back on these forums, trying to see what’s new. However being absent for two years, I just don’t know what to search for. Can you guys help me out and point in a right direction to the craze, new anime that is amazing and fun to watch.

Of course here is a list of what I enjoyed watching:

-Last Exile
-D-lain
-That show about a teacher with yellow hair who was in a biker gang. That was damn funny show.
-Eh another show about all-girls private school, too bad they only had one season of that.
-Fullmetal Panic?
-FullMetal Alchemist
-That show about the guy having a girl for his hand. Ha…
-Another show about group of people who clean space from trash, then main character gets obsessed with a mission to the Jupiter.
-RahXephon (this show was AMAZING, my favorite anime by far)
-Kiddy Basket or something? Where guys turn into animals.

Okay well, as you can see I like bunch of different stuff. So what’s new in anime world, what shows are MUST SEE, even if they are from 2005.
Thanks you in advance guys.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if you've ever read the novel, The Count of Monte Cristo, but there was an anime adaptation that I feel is an absolute marvel. It's called Gankutsuou, and I highly recommend you check it out if you want a drama that's more inclined for adults. If you've read the novel, you'll know what I mean.

I don't want to type the details out, as my eyes are straining and it would take way too long for me to sit here and try to remember everything I like about the series. However, I made a thread for it some time ago. Please check it out and see if it may interest you, and good luck in getting back to anime Smile.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Not really, since Gankutsuou butchers the novel and barely deserves the title. If you really want a good adaptation of that book on the screen you're better off watching the actual movie which was a terrific adaptation.

If you like slower paced shows with good story depth and an intriguing plot then you may want to look into Wolf's Rain. It's not big on the action but it has a really well done story and a great set of characters.

Gunslinger Girl is another good title, a good balance of character development, story and a little action tossed in with a wonderfully assembled soundtrack and very good animation.

One more worth at least a glance might be Figure 17. Somewhat misleading at first glance it's actually a very well done story that's more a slice of life style show than what it sounds like, but the character and story depth is terrific and the back story is just prevalent enough to keep the slower pace of the show from becoming too overwhelming.

Since I've pretty much only mentioned slower paced titles up to this point I should also mention Chrono Crusade, which is a darker series with a bit of fluff and comedy early on and a tad bit of fan service but with a story that eventually becomes very dark and interesting during the later half of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

-That show about a teacher with yellow hair who was in a biker gang. That was damn funny show.

Great Teacher Onizuka

Quote:

-That show about the guy having a girl for his hand. Ha…

That would be Midori Days, all three volumes are out but there's a collection comming in March.

Quote:

-Another show about group of people who clean space from trash, then main character gets obsessed with a mission to the Jupiter.

That one's Planetes four volumes of which is out on DVD now if you liked it.

Quote:

-Kiddy Basket or something? Where guys turn into animals.

Fruits Basket

As to the topic at hand, I'd recomend:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is pretty popular at the moment and also airing on Adult Swim on Saturdays in addition to being excellent in every way. You'd probabally be pretty lost if you picked it up from where it is now though episode 33. I would start with the DVDs or wait for reruns.

Elfen Lied is also a truely great series and fully available on DVD. It's extremely violent and full of nudity but it has an good storyline and excellent characters.

Then there's Scrapped Princess, which is a highly entertaining fantasy/sci-fi series. The last of 6 volumes comes out in a week. It has good action and drama, with some interesting characters.

If it's unliscensed series you want:

Monster is a fantastic drama and mystery series about brain surgeon who saves the life of a boy who grows up to become a serial killer and is framed for the murders. Great characters and it's longer but devoid of filler.

Lastly Bleach is a popular shounen action anime with a great cast and some impressive action. The storyline, when it gets up and running is quite complex and full of twists.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Not really, since Gankutsuou butchers the novel and barely deserves the title.

How so? Aside from the setting change, which still manages to retain the overall atmosphere of old French aristocracy (in my opinion), and the adjustment of writing Albert to play a much bigger role, I feel it's a wonderful adaptation that can work either way for those who have or haven't read the novel.

If it's just your opinion that this series is bad for only telling half the story and in an unorthadox setting, that's fine. I can understand how people tend to prefer original works over adaptations.

However, for the week or two that I had my thread floating around, almost no one repiled, and I'm curious to (finally) hear comments from other viewers. So please, enlighten me of this title's supposed inadequacies.
miu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:39 am Reply with quote
Bleach is definitely worth checking out, gorgeous designs, great fights, very funny extras, original twists on cliche shounen characters. It starts out with a "monster of the week" formula - but only sticks with it long enough to introduce the series and get the main story moving.

Monster is an interesting crime thriller, but the series feels a little stretched sometimes. There is lots of great story to tell, but it really feels like they took a season longer to tell it than they should have.

I'm gonna have to check out Gankutsuou myself. The Count of Monte Cristo is excellent source material, in the hands of a good team it would make an excellent anime.
Foljo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I wonder what happened to the two posts that were posted earlier, they got deleted?

Again guys, can't thank you enough for all the recommendations. By the way, another question for you. In original post I asked about anime that is about all-girls private school. Back when I watched it, there were only 13 episodes, one season. I can’t remember the name of it, but if anyone do, do you guys know if they released more episodes?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
Hmm I wonder what happened to the two posts that were posted earlier, they got deleted?

Yeah, I guess they were too much of a list and someone reported them.
Foljo wrote:
By the way, another question for you. In original post I asked about anime that is about all-girls private school. Back when I watched it, there were only 13 episodes, one season. I can’t remember the name of it, but if anyone do, do you guys know if they released more episodes?

Could it be Maria-sama ga Miteru?

Though the odd thing is I've never watched this series and have only read the plot summary once. But for some reason, when I read this, and saw "13 episodes," I instantly thought of it. Maybe I should check it now... Anime catgrin.
Foljo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah thank you and I see the sequal is there too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Mai Hime was pretty big in the fansub world in 2005, and is coming out on R1 DVD in March. It's a shounen "Magical Girl" type show with high-stakes drama, good production values, and lots of great action and fights. Some comedy and fanservice too, and the early episodes are pretty enjoyable, not that the later ones aren't...

Air was big when it aired a year ago--it's more for the drama/sadness lovers out there, but people laud Air's gorgeous artwork, complex/confusing story, and emotional "power levels," to borrow a phrase from DBZ.

Bleach has already been mentioned by others--it's a shounen action series that's a little more mature than Naruto, and combines fighting, comedy, and just a little bit of drama to make for a fun time.

I've been filling in comments for the many series in my My Anime list, and I think maybe I'll start advertising that instead of posting to recommendation threads--more efficient for me that way. Check it out if you want to read about some other series.

EDIT: to find my (or anyone else's) "My Anime" list, click "My Anime" under "Interactive" on the left, then on the next page click "Public Lists" on the right side, and after that, scroll down awhile to get to the "z" names.

Or, you can just go
here.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Foljo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
I heard Bleach is full of fillers, is it so? Either way Zalis, where can I found your anime list?

Oh Maria sama ga Miteru Spring makes me question my sexuality, yet I enjoy it. Though I will never be caught watching it, only by myself, ha!
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
Nope, it has like one filler episode I think...

If you ever watched Bebop (and liked it) you might want to check out Samurai Champloo.... even if you havn't you might... I'm not sure if you'd need to catch the rest of the series though, I skip out on an eppy here or there and I'm just fine.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:07 am Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding repetetive, I'll toss out another pimp for Giant Robo, my personal favourite. It's only 3 DVDs. Don't judge it from the initial episodes, watch it all the way through and you'll definitely enjoy it, even if you can't stand mech series' (it's a drama anyway).
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
Foljo wrote:
Either way Zalis, where can I found your anime list?

First off, I've gotta say: love your icon. Eternal Sunshine is one of my favorite films. Anime smile

Here is the full public list. In addition to Zalis116, I know that Tony K, abunai, dormcat and myself keep regularly updated lists, and most of us have a list of favorites and recommendations. Feel free to browse.

Also, at the top of this forum is a sticky titled "10 favorite and 5 least favorite anime," which I know has proven to be handy for other users here. I'm sure you'll discover some great titles there.

As for my own recommendations (based on what you've seen and liked), I think Gunslinger Girl would be a nice fit for you. Its greatest strength is in character study and delicate storytelling. Also, I think The Twelve Kingdoms matches your taste as well. And it is well-liked and considered to be one of the best (if not THE best) fantasy anime made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I know that Tony K keep[s] regularly updated lists..

Ahem.. yes, about that Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. Well, while I do keep it updated, I haven't had a chance to put any comments next to the titles yet, so it's not like you can see what my recommendations and get instant justifcation at the same time. However, if there is a particular title that sticks out to anyone and they want a quick opinion, feel free to PM me.

Part of the reason I deleted those comments was because they started to become insanely large paragraphs Anime dazed, but I'll try to make more condensed versions someday...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2