• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drilling holes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanagata

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought I saw this mentioned briefly about a month ago but not in a separate topic so I thought I would start this one.

As anyone who has bought products from ADVFilms knows, they drill holes in the barcode. While this is not a problem with buying products like wall scrolls, plushies, etc, it really hacks me to get a defaced package on a box set, dvd or cd.

Does anyone know why they do this???
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Hanagata wrote:
I thought I saw this mentioned briefly about a month ago but not in a separate topic so I thought I would start this one.

As anyone who has bought products from ADVFilms knows, they drill holes in the barcode. While this is not a problem with buying products like wall scrolls, plushies, etc, it really hacks me to get a defaced package on a box set, dvd or cd.

Does anyone know why they do this???

Where are you buying them? I've never noticed this in Best Buy.

I work for a radio station, and we regularly get promotional copies of CDs from performers. Those copies have holes drilled in the packages, usually in the barcodes.

This is done to differentiate between a promotional copy and a copy for purchase. I would guess that if you were to buy DVDs from places like conventions some of the DVDs might have this sort of drill mark on them.
Hanagata

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This only happens if you buy from the website

http://www.advfilms.com/index.asp

You are correct about not seeing this when you buy from a retailer like Best Buy. Sometimes some of the things I want cant be found at a retailer, like wall scrolls for instance.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It's done to prevent people from taking free/promotional or discounted products and reselling them for a profit. I believe ADV is the only company that does this with items they sell through their store, but that's probably because (I'm guessing) they're selling leftover screeners.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I believe ADV is the only company that does this with items they sell through their store, but that's probably because (I'm guessing) they're selling leftover screeners.

My boxsets from Geneon/Pioneer have "not to be sold separately" stickers instead of holes on barcodes of individual DVDs. On the other hand, holes on ADV's barcodes are never big enough to cover the entire barcode. If you use a handheld barcode scanner (instead of platform scanners on cashier counters) you can still read the remaining barcode above or below the hole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
On the other hand, holes on ADV's barcodes are never big enough to cover the entire barcode. If you use a handheld barcode scanner (instead of platform scanners on cashier counters) you can still read the remaining barcode above or below the hole.

True. It's not like someone couldn't sell screeners even with the hole or a "not for resale" sticker. It's just accepted practice to do either one, or completely cut off the barcode.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Those stickers can be peeled with out damaging the insert. I peel the when I get them. I do not re sell any thing ever I just don't like seeing that stupid sticker.
Hanagata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info folks.

I have to agree that it goes too far and does nothing to stop reselling. You could always sell it on ebay and avoid any scanning whatsoever.

I may have to write to the ADV website to beef about it now that I know the reason. I posted here first because I know I would get some good input Very Happy instead of a form letter for a response.

Thanks again
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hanagata wrote:

I may have to write to the ADV website to beef about it now that I know the reason.

You could, but it's clearly stated on the website that you will (most likely) get a cut-out.

ADV Films wrote:
Products offered through this sale are clearance and close-out items. As such, product bar codes will be reconfigured, replaced or physically altered (including by means of cutting, punching or drilling). Some products may be open box. Some products may be delivered without full retail packaging. Except as expressly provided otherwise, products are sold as-is.

That's why not many of us get excited when their sales come around, which is just about anytime there is something remotely considered some sort of holiday comes around.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hanagata wrote:

I may have to write to the ADV website to beef about it now that I know the reason.

You could, but it's clearly stated on the website that you will (most likely) get a cut-out.

ADV Films wrote:
Products offered through this sale are clearance and close-out items. As such, product bar codes will be reconfigured, replaced or physically altered (including by means of cutting, punching or drilling). Some products may be open box. Some products may be delivered without full retail packaging. Except as expressly provided otherwise, products are sold as-is.

That's why not many of us get excited when their sales come around, which is just about anytime there is something remotely considered some sort of holiday comes around.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
Those stickers can be peeled with out damaging the insert. I peel the when I get them. I do not re sell any thing ever I just don't like seeing that stupid sticker.
yeah but sometimes its silkscreened on the disk itself.
"screener not for resale"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
How big will the hole be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care about it since I only payed chump change for them anyway but they shouldn't have to do something as drastic as deface my product. There's a hole in my Burn Up Excess complete collection which I didn't notice until I read their disclaimer after buying from them again yesterday.
Hanagata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I should have looked at the site more closely, however, I dont think they do it only on sale items.

As to the size?? Looks like a 1/8 inch hole.

I wouldn't have even started this if it weren't for the fact it came even less then 1/8 inch from damaging the soundtracks I bought. Plus it left lots of plastic tidbits that clung to the disks. No one needs that crap in their cd player. Mad
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll still buy from them because it's cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2