• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Please Twins Trading Figures

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhanime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hello,
Ok, maybe I like Please Twins a little bit. I bought one case of Please Twins trading figures (12 mini boxes) but when I opened them all I didn't get all the figures in the picture. Does anyone know if they are going to have series 2 or I just need to buy more to complete the bedroom matress diorama and school classroom diorama? I really need to know because I only have one figure on the matress and it looks very very empty... Confused
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
jhanime wrote:
I just need to buy more to complete the bedroom matress diorama and school classroom diorama? I really need to know because I only have one figure on the matress and it looks very very empty... Confused

Buy another box and hope you hit the lottery or start searching eBay.

Most sites (ex. Animaxis.com) have a disclaimer stating that you probably won't get all the figures in a single box.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Ah~ I've seen a similar type of box with Ruouni Kenshin figures. They give you a box, but the actual figures you get are random, pretty cool looking stuff too.

You'll probably have to buy lots of boxes or try to find an individual seller who will sell each figure to you seprately.
matticans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
I would deffinately say to find someone who is selling the whole set of them or individually. At cons they usually have the whole set for sale but at a higher cost. Just check some anime stores online and hope they have them.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, like most "collectable" series, there's an economy of scale at work. Buy a box of 12 with 12 possible figures, and you're not likely to get them all. Buy 10 boxes of twelve and you're likely to get at least 8-10 complete sets, with a few left over. Sell those completed sets on ebay for considerably more than a box and you've just made a profit, everyone's happy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Ah~ I've seen a similar type of box with Ruouni Kenshin figures. They give you a box, but the actual figures you get are random, pretty cool looking stuff too.

These are what's known as "trading figures". You see, in Japan the concept is similar to that of trading cards where you walk into a 7-11, buy a couple boxes, open them up and then trade with your friends any of your extras, and if you're lucky enough to get a rare then you may be able to make a small profit selling it to a dealer. Unfortunatly since it's harder to find people to trade with outside of Japan you end up buying way more than you'd really want to and often have to resort to a case or two to get what you want.

Believe it or not this Onegai Twins set is an example of what's right about trading figures. Some companies can be quite evil by also including undesireable varients into the assortment, things like unpainted figure sets, or clear figure sets, basicly trash figures that force you into buying more boxes to get the far more desireable colored versions.

Thankfully there are companies like Yamato USA (formerly Toycom) who will import their own tranding figures from Japan and release them in the US as carded figures so you know exactly what your getting, such as with the Stoy! Image! Figure! Kenshin figures shown above.

Oh, and if you're going to buy a second box of 12 Onegai Twins figures now is the time to do it. Diamond has imported these figures and you can get a full box of trading figures for around $50 which is far cheaper than what the non-Diamon imports boxes go for.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
jhanime wrote:
Does anyone know if they are going to have series 2 or I just need to buy more to complete the bedroom matress diorama and school classroom diorama? I really need to know because I only have one figure on the matress and it looks very very empty... Confused

There were two series of figures technically. The trading figures were supplemented by a gashapon series. Both were released at the same time and the missing figures are exclusive to the gashapon release. If you read the side of the box on the trading figure set you will find a disclaimer.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
If there's a gashapon version then that's even better, those can easily be bought in sets since they aren't sold blindly in the US (some exceptions, but generally speaking) and for much less. Just keep in mind that you can't buy gashapon from Japanese shops (unless they're resells), you have to win them so importers are the only people you'll be able to get them from (not exporters like HLJ), but a quick search on google shows a lot of people importing them and selling in sets. Best bet might be ebay, you can generally get gashapon sets for around $25 there (but this is a big set so it may run about $35 or so, atleast you're sure to get what you want though).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ric8252

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news but, the two figures on the bed with Minna were only available in Japan. I have contacted a friend of mine in Japan to try and find those two pieces for My collection so far she hasn't had any luck. Try e-bay/Japan. That's what I am doing. One good thing is the figure of Maarie (little wonder) is exclusive to the US market. If you have extras try a trade. Maybe you will get a pen pal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1