• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching anime while drunk... effective?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I assume that most of those who drink are fully aware that a controlled use of alcohol could improve any emotion. I'm also aware that threads like this were created before.

Do you drink to improve your anime experience? Does it work? Is there any side effects?

For me it's a "yes" for all the three questions. Firstly, I do. But that only works with anime I really, really like, and would be considered my top 20. Clearly, I don't think that watching while intoxicated would make a crappy anime good, so I'd say it only serves as an emotional amplifier. So according to my belief, if you dislike it, you'll dislike it even more while drunk; if you like it, you'll like it even more while drunk.

But, in my case at least, the side effects somewhat make it not so worthwhile. Usually I'd get so much off the anime that I wouldn't be able to handle it anymore unless I get drunk again(after reaching such an emotional level with that specific anime, it would be hard to abandon it). And that happened to most of my top 10. There are also some cases where I'd re-watch the openings to many times, thus getting tired of it, and also sometimes I'd re-watch the ending too many times, thus I'd get sick of the whole anime. Fortunately they were my favorites, and shortly returned to my re-watchable list.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
I came home fairly drunk the other night. It was late and I wasn't tired, so I'd figured I'd watch some good ol' anime. I watched a couple of episodes of the second part of Natsume Yujincho. I think it definitely enhanced my experience. For me, it just seemed to make the characters more real and relatable, and it just seemed to enhance the overall experience. That's the only experience I've had while drinking so far, but maybe I'll test it out again tomorrow night Wink . I'd like to try something with trippy visuals, like Dead Leaves or Gankutsuou. Anyway, I definitely agree that it would have to be an anime that I liked. I can't see myself liking Desert Punk while drunk Laughing .

Just out of curiosity, what's your poison? Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I think it definitely enhanced my experience.

Agreed. There's no doubt that it's capable of increasing the likelihood of an enhanced experience with anime. While I definitely wouldn't recommend it, as it's not that easy to stop doing so once you start.

I could imagine watching Natsume whilst drunk, as I really enjoyed it whilst sober. The character design is just delightful and I'd definitely drool over it(story, and others don't stay far behind either).

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what's your poison? Very Happy

Heh. Vodka because I completely forgot I don't work tomorrow and didn't buy whisky. Finished work tonight at midnight and then went to my boss' house, which is five minutes walk from home. So yeah, Vodka or Whisky, whichever fits the day better. Wink
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
I watched Ninja Nonsense drunk a couple nights ago, and I couldn't stop laughing. I guess it adds to the experience if it's a mindless show like that. It won't benefit you to watch a deep show inebriated.
Treiz

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
My friends and I try to do Drunk Anime Tuesday every week. Irresponsible Captain Tylor has been the best so far, followed by Ranma 1/2 Laughing

We usually buy a Fourty or two each and grab a pizza and go for it. Takes my mind off this past semester, which was horrible on so many levels and fronts Evil or Very Mad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
I've never tried drunk anime and I confess that I don't have a strong desire to, either. I get drunk very infrequently and on those rare occasions when it does happen, it's never planned. It's because I'm in a social situation and end up drinking enough to get drunk (I'm a big guy, so it takes a fair amount, normally). Given that alcohol is a depressant, I imagine being drunk while watching anime with sad or tragic elements even more emotional. I've never been able to get high in my life. The handful of times I've tried smoking pot didn't seem to have any discernible effect on me (probably because I didn't draw enough smoke into my lungs?). But if I imagine what it would like to be high, I bet it would be pretty trippy watching anime that way.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Personally I don't think that drink goes with Anime very well. Drink makes it very hard to follow a complex plot. And alot of Anime I have found like to really string things out plot wise so half the time I can't remember what the characters are talking about. I do however love the combination of Anime and a certain fine smokeable. That rocks.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Heh. Vodka because I completely forgot I don't work tomorrow and didn't buy whisky. Finished work tonight at midnight and then went to my boss' house, which is five minutes walk from home. So yeah, Vodka or Whisky, whichever fits the day better. Wink

Nothing wrong with a little Vodka, but Whiskey? You've got nerves of steel in my book Laughing . I'm more of rum guy, but nothing dark or too strong.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to watch an anime that isn't too plot-intensive? Do you think it would be better to watch an action-packed or funny show, one that doesn't require too much thought? Personally, I think something mellow and easy going is good, hence Natsume Yujincho. If I have a few drinks tonight I may try watching a few episodes of Mushi Shi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine what it would be like to watch FLCL while intoxicated, or maybe it would actually make sense.

I don't really drink though, I decided I would once I was 18, but I have not had alcohol since my cousin's wedding when I was 17. My excuse is that I haven't really had the chance or the reason.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I've watched anime drunk as a Skunk before and it was really enjoyable. It depends on how drunk you are and what it is you are watching. I find that comedies are the most effective stimulus whilst drunk. Vodka is my poision normally. Having said this I was spiked by my friends with Acid the other day ( in my damn ham roll) which became a very ''interesting'' exsperience whilst trying to watch End of Evangleion but then any drug such as alcohol will offer a slightly different viewing exsperience to the usual.

To be honest its a bad idea to get deliberatly drunk to watch anime but obviously if you go out on a night out and come back bladdered, watch some anime and it does make for an interesting exsperience. I normally end up watching something I have already seen so as to not make it too hard to follow.

As egoist said earlier, alcohol does serve as an effective emotional apmplifyer. Try to sit watching something like clannad or air whilst drunk and youll understand this. Everything seems more intense I suppose.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:

As egoist said earlier, alcohol does serve as an effective emotional apmplifyer. Try to sit watching something like clannad or air whilst drunk and youll understand this. Everything seems more intense I suppose.

I dunno, I bawled like a little girl at the end of the Fuuko arc, and I watched it when I was sober. If I was drunk, I'd probably just laugh my ass off.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
egoist wrote:

Nothing wrong with a little Vodka, but Whiskey? You've got nerves of steel in my book Laughing . I'm more of rum guy, but nothing dark or too strong.

I just saw this vodka and rum thing and sorry it does not relate to anime I just remembered that last night at a party my friend brought a flask with two kinds of rum and vodka and it tasted like medicine but it's a drink idea for whoever wants to try it Smile
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Dark Rum is a big no no for me. That and tequila. I used to go to boarding school and smuggle in those 2 particular drinks. And one day we all got so drunk we ended up in the clinic. Since then even the tiniest ml of it has made me nauseus.

Note : This is not a boast being so drunk you end up hospitalised is both a foolish mistake AND extremely painul and unpleasant.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
to me watching would take away from the anime. I would not the next morning know what i watched or why. I have a friend who plays video games drunk. Starts off doing well and by the end of the night cant play or think straight. So i would look at it the same way. Now only a few drinks and sitting down to watch might be fine if it was only a few or over the time of watching.

Take a sad anime and it's going to be a downer. Take something like ranma 1/2 and some people who find the humor in the show and it might be great.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Dark Rum is a big no no for me. That and tequila. I used to go to boarding school and smuggle in those 2 particular drinks. And one day we all got so drunk we ended up in the clinic. Since then even the tiniest ml of it has made me nauseus.

Note : This is not a boast being so drunk you end up hospitalised is both a foolish mistake AND extremely painul and unpleasant.

I try to stay away from the Dark stuff as well, but it's ok, depending on what it is mixed with.
But Tequila is the devil incarnate. There is only one time in my entire life where I couldn't remember a single thing that happened the night before. I didn't know how I got home or anything. Tequila was the culprit. It completely destroyed me. Apparently, while at a bar, I had got myself locked in a room with no doorknob on the inside. Of course the obvious choice at the moment was to break down the door, so that's what I did. I was told all this by the bar's owner (I used to work for her Embarassed ) the next day. I was never so embarrassed in my life. I agree, drinking can be a very unpleasant experience, and these types of situations shouldn't be boasted about (I'd do that night over in an instant given the chance, and I wouldn't act like such a douche this time).So I have to agree to an extent with catstigereye. Getting too drunk would definitely take away from the anime. I think a moderate "buzz" is probably fine though. I'm not suggesting it either way though. As for Tequila, I actually offer this bit of advice: stay away from it and you will have the pleasure of never tasting the most disgusting and potent thing ever conceived by man (imo Wink ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2