• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone else find it hard to enjoy hyped up animé?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japsa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a massive fan of animé but when people constantly talk about how great a series is, I just can't enjoy it to its fullest.

Series like Naruto, ok it was a super awesome series because they stretched it out over way too many episodes, but with everyone in my school constantly giving it praises I just didn't enjoy it.

The same thing with Full Metal Alchemist, and I'm not even going to both watching bleach.

Pretty much all the animé series I have seen none of my friends have ever heard of.

There are a few other series that I will probably avoid but those are the main ones I hear about.
Hyperone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I don't really let hype affect me when it comes to anime. Sometimes, shows get hyped for the reason they will be excellent. While other times they turn out to be trash. The only way to know is to watch it.

I learned this after seeing FLCL and going "OMG what a horrible show." Came to find out later it was being raved about and praised as "Best show ever." This could also apply to One Piece.

I haven't really caught enough "Non-mainstream" anime to say I have been impressed by a show that was not hyped, but I can guess there is at least one show out there I will think is amazing that others will say "What?" in reference to.

Tl;dr (Not sure if this is used around these parts but whatever): Watch what you want to watch because you want to watch it. There is no reason to default dislike/like a show based on popularity (Same rant I give to rejects who love a band until the second they get popular, then hate them for "selling out" to the mainstream").
Allegro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hyperone wrote:
Nope, I don't really let hype affect me when it comes to anime. Sometimes, shows get hyped for the reason they will be excellent. While other times they turn out to be trash. The only way to know is to watch it.

Exactly, and maybe the reason why many worthy, "non-mainstream" titles don't get the attention is because nobody bothers to give them a try. It could be that they weren't marketed properly and thus never received a wide audience. The shows that the OP mentioned were broadcast on television, which means that more people know about them as opposed to anime released only on DVD.

Personally I try not let any sort of popularity sway me from trying out a show, but rather let a review or two give me an idea of what to expect.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't really care about series unless the plot descriptions sounded interesting enough to the point where I want to watch them. I don't read reviews or discussions about stuff I haven't seen and ignore it as irrelevant data, because I hate spoilers. I'm not going to watch something "because it's popular" either, so I usually avoid "hype" naturally. My philosophy has always been to watch things for myself.

Quote:
Pretty much all the animé series I have seen none of my friends have ever heard of.

I'm with you there though. I have a wide variety of taste in genres so I watch a lot of miscellaneous stuff that my friends haven't heard of. This fun though because then you can be the go to man.
Mistmanov

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, the mindset with which you watch certainly influences your enjoyment of the title.

Non-enjoyment of popular series can come from a few sources:

1. You might have previous "creative differences" with the person who is doing the praising. As an example: I'm a Half-Life guy, many of my friends are total fans of Halo. We've spent many (childish..) hours bashing each others choice of games. If my friends recommend a game (and especially if it resembles Halo..), I'll probably not give it a fair chance when trying it out; I'll (subconciously) be looking for flaws just to prove my friends' taste wrong. Childish, but hey..

2. Instead of being "open" to whatever the show is going to bring you, you might be sitting there as a grumpy old man, waiting for the show to entertain you. While waiting for a specific type of entertainment (e.g. cool explosions), you might be ignoring the things that would otherwise have given enjoyment (e.g. drama, fanservice, subtle jokes, etc). This can happen if people have been praising a series for only a part of it's content - if you're watching Elfen Lied with the expectation that it should be non-stop exploding body parts, you might be annoyed during the "calmer" parts.

3. Sometimes you're just not in the mood for a specific series. Ignoring your mood and desires with the reasoning of "well X is supposed to be really good so it should always be entertaining" is not smart for certain series I think.

4. People have different tastes. Sometimes you just don't like something that's popular.

I personally didn't like the Samurai X OAVs, probably for reasons 2) and 4) (and maybe a bit of 3)), and stopped watching them after the first episode.

I watched parts of Death Note with a few friends, 2 of which had already seen it and had given it lots of praise, and didn't really like it, probably for reasons 1) and 2). I think that if I had just started watching it without my friends ever mentioning it, I would've enjoyed it a lot more.
japsa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I always like a recommendation, but when people start telling me how the series is so amazing and it's like X but only more Y.

That's what really puts me off.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
That was a very thorough and thoughtful post Mistmanov, and I agree with it. I do my best to avoid falling into category 1, but sometimes its too tempting. I have a similar experience with my friends and how I dislike turn-based "video" games while most of my friends like them. Oh we've had some uselessly pretentious arguments about that subject Rolling Eyes .

Personally, I just look at what is being described and try to push away the "OMG!" additions. I'll keep the praise in mind, as it is very difficult to completely ignore, but I'll be focused on the show/movie/whatever and its own merits and quality and make a judgement based on that. I've liked a number of "hyped up" things like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Haruhi Suzumiya, and at the same time I've disliked a number of them like Gurren Lagaan, Fumoffu, and Clannad Afterstory.
Usually, when a show/movie/whatever is getting a lot of praise, I'm more inclined to check it out than I am to check out an obscure, rarely talked about title. Sometimes things are popular because they are good, sometimes... Wink
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I like situation when I have someone to talk about series that I watch. Discussion about things that I've seen is for me even more important that series itself so I really enjoy situation when I can share my enjoyment with others. Of course popularity brings some crappy things like fanboys/girls unable to think rationally and talk normally- the worst of them are yaoi fangirls ready to rape plot and characters to make their favourite parings-one of them nearly convicted me that FMA is a pure yaoi so I didn't want even to give it a chance. Now, unless the describtion of the plot seems stupid to me I give a chance to every popular anime. I've never taken myself as an "anime elite", so maybe, babe...

Sadly, most of the series which are popular now don't appeal to me. I don't try to say that they are worse than they used to be, but I get older and a bit bored. Most of the popular series has always been targeting for teenagers and now they seems to similar for me. On the other hand how we define popularity? Ok, Naruto, Code Geass and Death Note are popular, but series like LOGH, Utena, WMT, Glass Mask seems to have lots of fans who maybe aren't so visible, but they always wait in the shadow ready to catch you in their tentacles, and don't let go.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does "hyped up anime" sound like an oxymoron?

Regardless, no, it doesn't bother me. But I will state my opinion on the series is unlikely to match those who hype it up. I'm a bit picky on what I would consider "masterpiece", but even my titles given this moniker would have challengers (hyped up doesn't necessarily mean masterpiece, of course, but some level of "good").

But that's what opinions are for, right?

...and to all you out there who hyped up Ikki Tousen, may your DVD players catch fire while playing your favorite series...
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

...and to all you out there who hyped up Ikki Tousen, may your DVD players catch fire while playing your favorite series...

*stands and applauds*
dtm42

Oh yes, it is extremely infuriating when an Anime - or any media for that matter - is hyped up far more than it deserves. Of course, it happens all the time, so one has to learn to not be so offended. And when something comes along that actually exceeds the hype - such as The Dark Knight - well that's when cynicism is crushed and suppressed, at least for a while.

As for Anime specifically, it annoys me that Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is considered number one here at ANN. Best Anime ever made? Yeah, riiiight. It really annoys me when Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Toradora!, among two notable titles, were considered to be soooo amazing when in reality both were pretty crap. I sat there watching Toradora! and wondering to myself, "People have claimed that this show was one of the very best in the last couple of years. How the HELL did they arrive at that conclusion?" So not only was it generic dreck at best, but any enjoyment I might have been able to wring out of it was instead replaced by a heavy cursing of all those arseholes who had rabidly insisted that I watch it. My experience with TTGL was very similar.
FlyingFox

Yeah, this happened to me with Cowboy bebop, FMA, evangelion, rahxephon. Its probably the reason why I think there all over rated. Well, that and other reasons.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
When something is hyped by many people, it does usually mean that, compared to all of the movies/TV shows/anime out there, this particular title is considered to be an above-average example of the genre.

To spin off from dtm42's comment, I agree that The Dark Knight was a good movie, but in my mind it wasn't even the best superhero movie of 2008 (which, for my money, was Iron Man), let alone best movie (WALL-E).

In anime, I recently finished watching Fate/stay night after reading a lot of glowing reviews. I enjoyed the first 1/3 to 1/2 of it, but I had to slog through the rest. I wouldn't watch it again; however, I won't hold it against anyone if they enjoy F/sn.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As for Anime specifically, it annoys me that Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is considered number one here at ANN. Best Anime ever made? Yeah, riiiight.

You're welcome to read the list again.
It's all pointless anyway. Pointless titles compose that list. I wouldn't even agree with my favorite standing there. Since it's pointless. Perhaps ANN should erase top 10, and simply start from 11. At least the pointlessness would be reduced this way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, so Clannad After Story eclipsed it yet again. Well, it has been historically the number one for more time than anything else. At any rate, it doesn't deserve to be in the top twenty, let alone number one, or two, or whatever it will be.

I'm kind of glad that I watched Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal before I even knew about ANN. If I had watched it knowing that it was so hyped up I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it as much as I did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4