• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tracking down older Anime DVDs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Hey there I've recently wanted to track down some older stuff and have searched amazon,ebay,rightstuff and best buy to no avail I was wondering if there was any websites that specialize in tracking down older harder to find Anime? Ideally in PAL Smile.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
No, I doubt there would be any one good place in particular. There's really not much of a market for older stuff so most places don't really keep a huge back stock. All you can really do is check a lot of places in the hopes that somewhere happens to still have it. Otherwise your only option is to hope something turns up on ebay or similar sites.

If those places you listed are literally the only ones though you should check a few more. I think there's a really good list of all the major online anime stores in the retail forum. Give that a going over or if not at least check Robert's Anime Corner Store and Anime Nation.

P.S. You should change the title of this thread. As it is, most people may just dismiss it as someone looking for fansubs. Make it 'tracking down older anime DVDs' or something. {Indeed, and done. -- abunai}
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
I use a bevy sites to track down shows. If you tell us what you're looking for then we can most likely find it. Now, finding it in PAL we may not be able to do, but in the Retail Forum we have an International Retailers thread that has a lot of UK retail sites that you might not of heard of.

If you're going to ask us help you find stuff then I recommend putting this thread in the Retail Forum since it would be more appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking for Slayers: Complete Collection Which is a box set with all the movies/oav's in it. There was one on Amazon but it turned out to be already sold. I kinda want it this way because buying the movies seperately is gonna be stupidly expensive. So im after that box in particular Smile.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Found it on Rightstuf. They only have a shade over 200 left, though.
Slayers Movies & OVAs Collection

They may have a Section23 studio sale soon, so I'd hold until they have one. At least until it starts getting too low for your liking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm I doubt its PAL but frankly I think it won't be long before this particular box becomes quite rare so Im gonna snap it up anyway Smile

Thanks for finding it though mate.

Oh no nope they won't accept a delivery address that is not US/Canada so im b*gge*ed there.

Still thanks for tryin Smile
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
It's Rightstuf and they do international shipping, so I don't know what happened.

It's not PAL, it's NTSC like all R1 DVDs. I have several R4 DVDs from Australia and have a program called DVD43 that, basically, makes your computer region free. So you could download that and just watch it on your computer. Or import an R1 DVD player. Whichever you prefer.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Aye the one im looking for seems to be how they packaged it up for PAL release it seems to be available just damn hard to find.
vision1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it, if you are having no luck finding 'older stuff' as in older DVDs in general, of any title, then you're just not looking. They are all over the sites you just mentioned. You must be looking for something in particular. What is it? I'll tell you, I've come across some really obscuro DVDs- so ask and I will tell you where it will be. The problem with shopping for anything specific in the whole world is that, if it's not available the very first time you looked, it doesn't mean it never is. Search again tomorrow, and again a few days later. And again. And it shows up and the price is too high, be patient, and wait longer. Patience is key.

----

Ack, nevermind, I see you already mentioned you were looking for Slayers... that isn't as old as I thought or as obscure as I was hoping. I was actually hunting for a Gall Force box set, and found it a few times on ebay, but either the price was absurd, or I got "outbidded" or I looked at the description and pictures and somehow thought it looked suspicious...

I'd try the same methodology though if I were you. Twice a week search ebay and Amazon marketplace for it, research the seller, go with best instincts, big accordingly. Slayers is mid 90s I guess and was much more popular than the crap I'm looking for, it should be easier to find.
Apologies for my lack of reading further up the thread...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
vision1 wrote:
I'd try the same methodology though if I were you. Twice a week search ebay and Amazon marketplace for it, research the seller, go with best instincts, big accordingly. Slayers is mid 90s I guess and was much more popular than the crap I'm looking for, it should be easier to find.
Apologies for my lack of reading further up the thread...
Slayers will also be easier to find since it was re-released in the last 3 years or so.

Also, vision1, do not double-post -- just use the Edit button to add on to your previous post.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm having a similar problem right now, mostly trying to find older CMP and Manga Entertainment titles. In particular; Orguss 02, Dominion Tank Police, Cassan: Robot Hunter, and Macross 2. All OOP and tough to find.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure, all those are sitting on amazon at the moment. They even have Macross 2 new and in stock. The first two are kind of pricey (around $50 used), but the third one isn't that bad. Depends on how much you want them, really. If you're also looking PAL versions, of course ignore this.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
zgripţuroicǎ wrote:
Mr Adventure, all those are sitting on amazon at the moment. They even have Macross 2 new and in stock. The first two are kind of pricey (around $50 used), but the third one isn't that bad. Depends on how much you want them, really. If you're also looking PAL versions, of course ignore this.

*whistles*
Sheesh. If only I had 150 bucks to drop on the most 80s of 80s Sci-Fi. Thanks though. Now I know where to look if I hit the lottery.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
I agree with you that it's too much, I was just pointing it out. You made it sound like they were all super rare finds, and you at least have the option of finding them all at one store, the first one I checked. I sympathize with you though. As a record collector, they're plenty of records out there that got put out in limited numbers. While they're all over the place at the moment, people artificially jack up the price because there's only so many. I'm talking any where from 100 to 1000 copies worldwide, some fewer than 100. It's particularly irksome, because I could get it now if I could afford it, and by the time I can, they're either all gone, or way more money.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Apologies if I came across as rude at all. I was just being glib over the prices. I do appreciate the help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2