• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lexicon entry suggestions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:35 am Reply with quote
My suggestion for an entry in the Lexicon : Seiyuu

Seiyuu (声優) is the Japanese term for voice actor or actress - both in animation, radio, dubbed non-Japanese films, etc. In Japan, seiyuu are often less anonymous as artists than voice actors in the West. Many of the most famous seiyuu (e.g. Megumi Hayashibara) have large fan groups of their own.

Synonyms:
    Voice actor (English)
    doubleur (French)
    stemartiest (Dutch)
    Synchronsprecher (German)
    stemmeskuespiller (Danish, Norwegian)
    doppiatore (Italian)

- abunai
(Hey, editors - make this thread sticky)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Looks good to me. Maybe there could also be a term for voice acting alone? Although, the definition itself should be pretty obvious.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, there could be a link directly from voice actor to the seiyuu entry.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that would be a great idea, since you already have synonyms suggested as well. Hmm, how about adding a Spanish synonym? I believe that's another commonly applied langauge for voice acting, right?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:23 am Reply with quote
Since we have Fansub in the Lexicon, why not Scanlation? Here's a rough description (not to be used as the final print):

Scanlation
Much like fansubs, scanlations are translated and produced by fans - only with manga instead of anime. The term is derived from the words "scan" and "translation" - basically, the original manga is scanned to a computer and the Japanese text is erased via Photoshop to accomodate the translated text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:18 am Reply with quote
I like that, but with a few slight amendments (and typo corrections):

Quote:
Scanlation (alt. spelling: scanslation)
Much like fansubs, scanlations are translated and produced by fans - only with manga instead of anime. The term is derived from the words "scan" and "translation". The original manga is scanned to a computer and the Japanese text is erased and replaced with fan-translated text.

Cleaner text, with fewer extraneous words - and it saves you the trouble of having to remember to put two Ms in "accommodate"... Wink

- abunai
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yeah, that would be a great idea, since you already have synonyms suggested as well. Hmm, how about adding a Spanish synonym? I believe that's another commonly applied langauge for voice acting, right?

You betcha. The only reason I didn't add a Spanish synonym is that I didn't happen to think of it... actor de doblaje is the Spanish word, I believe, so:
_______

Seiyuu (声優) is the Japanese term for voice actor or actress - both in animation, radio, dubbed non-Japanese films, etc. In Japan, seiyuu are often less anonymous as artists than voice actors in the West. Many of the most famous seiyuu (e.g. Megumi Hayashibara) have large fan groups of their own.

Synonyms:
  • voice actor (English)
  • doubleur (French)
  • stemartiest (Dutch)
  • Synchronsprecher (German)
  • stemmeskuespiller (Danish, Norwegian)
  • doppiatore (Italian)
  • actor de doblaje (Spanish)
  • aktor podkładający głos (Polish)
  • актер или актриса, озвучивающие аниме / сейю (Russian)

_______

I've also added Polish and Russian synonyms, though I'm a bit unsure about my Russian orthography - can anyone help?

- abunai
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I like that, but with a few slight amendments (and typo corrections):

Quote:
Scanlation (alt. spelling: scanslation)
Much like fansubs, scanlations are translated and produced by fans - only with manga instead of anime. The term is derived from the words "scan" and "translation". The original manga is scanned to a computer and the Japanese text is erased and replaced with fan-translated text.

Cleaner text, with fewer extraneous words - and it saves you the trouble of having to remember to put two Ms in "accommodate"... Wink

- abunai

Yeah, that's good. Just needs a disclaimer that scanlations are as illegal as fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:46 am Reply with quote
Hi,
I've got a question for new entries in the lexicon, mainly related to manga :
- Tankoubon
- Bunkoban
- Wideban
I know it's the Japanses equivalent of a graphic novel (like trade paperbacks with comics, with extra notes and/or short stories), but what's the difference between them ?
Maybe for you guys it's a stupid question, but I can't find it (yet) on my reference website. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1