• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waldenbooks ending 10% Preffered Reader discount?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I was at Waldenbooks tonight and the clearks told me that they are no longer renewing Preffered Reader Memberships for their store. They said that they will honor people's individual memberships until they expire but then that'll be it. I was already upset because they changed their security sensors (which ripped pages in four of my recent purchases) and now no more 10% off. I always preffered my Waldenbooks over all else because they have the best selection, but now I guess I'll be going to Border's. I really hate Border's because it seems they never have sales, but if I'm no longer able to get 10% off, at least my books won't be damaged from security tags.

note-I should mention that this is just what the clerks told me and as far as I know there has been no official announcement. Has anyone else heard about it?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
It's official. I was told about this back in September by one of the local ladies at our Waldenbooks. As it was, she told me only because she recognized me as a loyal customer who is in regularly, plus we found out that we both attend ACEN every year, so it was also a favor to a fellow cosplayer. The main reason they hadn't been announcing it was because up until the end of October, they were still accepting renewals and new members, and with the "may end at any time" clause on the back of the card, were just going to cancel it outright at the beginning of the new year. Due to public outcry and letters however, they decided to hold off until at least this May and possibly even later, this was also told to me by the same employee.

Here's a copy of the reply they sent to me :

Quote:
Dear Lance,

Thanks for being a loyal Waldenbooks customer and participating in the Waldenbooks Preferred Reader program. We appreciate your faithfulness to the program and your commitment to Waldenbooks.

We wanted to let you know that after much consideration, we’ve decided not to offer Waldenbooks Preferred Reader memberships or renewals. Although we are no longer offering membership renewals for Waldenbooks Preferred Readers, you will continue to receive the benefits of your current membership until the expiration date noted on the membership card. If you are a lifetime member we will continue to honor your membership at this time, however Waldenbooks reserves the right to amend the program’s terms and conditions at any time. We remain committed to delivering direct cost savings to you through other promotions.

We hope that our service, selection, convenient locations and competitive pricing are compelling reasons for you to remain loyal to Waldenbooks.

In the meantime, if you have questions about the Waldenbooks Preferred Reader program or about your membership, please call us at 800.322.2000 or email us at [email protected].

Thanks again. We hope you’ll continue to consider Waldenbooks as your favorite bookstore.

Sincerely,

Yvonne
Waldenbooks Customer Care
www.waldenbooksstores.com

Also from what I understand, the main reason they are discontinuing this great program is to offer more deals and sales like the Buy 4 get 5th Free.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:22 am Reply with quote
They ended the PR much earlier. Hawaii folks got the shaft on April 14th as a "test case" of sorts. Plus all of the Waldenbooks there got turned into Borders Express.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I really hate Border's because it seems they never have sales

I signed up for the Borders newsletter and they send out coupons with it, I've only gotten one so far (25% off) but I havn't been signed up for it for long. I'm not sure how often they send them out.
anthy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:
Quote:
I really hate Border's because it seems they never have sales

I signed up for the Borders newsletter and they send out coupons with it, I've only gotten one so far (25% off) but I havn't been signed up for it for long. I'm not sure how often they send them out.

There are printable Borders coupons all the time, usually at least one a month. They vary by amount - usually 10% - 25% off (25% is unusual - 20% off the regular price of one item is common). Usually, the coupons have small print that say you can't use them for magazines, and that the discount of DVDs/video games is only 10% (no matter what the coupon is for).

Here's the current 15% off coupon, good until 1/7/05:

http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=coupon_survey1

Here's another coupon for 50% off a beverage until 1/23/05, if you're going there anyway Anime smile + sweatdrop

http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/hpcoupon_1221.htm

It helps to be on their e-mail list, but you can also find the coupons by googling for "Borders coupons" or by searching in the forums of some hot deal site like FatWallet.com.
wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
anthy wrote:

There are printable Borders coupons all the time, usually at least one a month. They vary by amount - usually 10% - 25% off (25% is unusual - 20% off the regular price of one item is common). Usually, the coupons have small print that say you can't use them for magazines, and that the discount of DVDs/video games is only 10% (no matter what the coupon is for)....

Wow, this is all good to know, thanks! Once in a blue moon my mom finds a Borders coupon for $5 dollars off a purchase of $35 or more. I'm glad to know there are other coupons out there though- even if they seem a bit restricted Anime smile + sweatdrop. I guess my main dislike for that store is the library atmosphere and the fact that the discounting is so limited. I try, but I always feel like I'm buying used books when I shop there.
anthy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote
wanderer wrote:

Wow, this is all good to know, thanks! Once in a blue moon my mom finds a Borders coupon for $5 dollars off a purchase of $35 or more. I'm glad to know there are other coupons out there though- even if they seem a bit restricted Anime smile + sweatdrop. I guess my main dislike for that store is the library atmosphere and the fact that the discounting is so limited. I try, but I always feel like I'm buying used books when I shop there.

Good to know you can use the info! I'm not even on their mailing list...I just do a search every time I'm heading over there for a coupon at Fatwallet.com, and something invariably pops up. 'Tis a good deal for me, since I rarely buy more than one or two books at a time. And every few months, they'll have a flat percentage coupon for your entire purchase, anyway (and they even have a "teacher" or "health care professional" day every once in a while, and I've seen the "buy two manga get one free" thing there once in a blue moon, too).

I used to have a Waldenbooks card, but I found it hard to justify the yearly expense when I'd buy from there maybe once every two months. I'd only just break even. I like the frequent coupons at Borders much better. (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they start listing Waldenbooks more frequently on the coupons now they're discontinuing the card program...they've done it in the past every once in a while.)

(I actually like Borders for the same reasons that you *dislike* it - I love the library atmosphere and the comfortable chairs. Gives me a chance to flip through the books a little before actually committing to buying them, or if I'm waiting for someone, I can buy them and then read in the chairs or cafe till they're done. Waldens always has this "buy the books already and get out" atmosphere for me. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop (If my library carried any manga titles at all I'd be there instead...) I love their huge magazine section - the only place I've seen that stocks that many anime mags is Suncoast, which is 40 minutes away from me. And since I often buy my manga used anyway, I could care less whether the books were flipped through - I just take care to buy books that are in new or like new condition. Not to mention that their hot chocolate is great. Very Happy I do wish they had a discount on magazines and a better (and cheaper) anime DVD selection, though...)
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Dang, this blows. I guess I have the make the most of it until July and buy a ton of books. Confused Atleast they still have the biggest manga back in my hometown area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1