• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Typo on new Lain release's boxart.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's the box for the new Serial Experiments Lain re-release, in case you haven't seen it:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/813z1M828jL._AA1500_.jpg

Now, notice anything wrong?

I'll give you a hint: It's in the top right corner of the box.

The phrase "The Creater of Hibane Rinme" has not one, but THREE typographical errors in it.

First off, the proper name of the show is "Haibane Renmei". Now, given that it's in another language, I can KINDA forgive that part.

Secondly, however, the word is spelled "creator". With an "O". That's the kind of spelling error that grade-school students and internet trolls make, not professional graphic artists.

What's even worse is that the error is actually repeated on the side of the box as well. I mean, where is quality control when you need them? Did NO ONE even proofread this thing? It may seem like I'm nit-picking here, but for a box set that retails at $90 MSRP, you would think that they'd spend just a LITTLE bit more time checking on the look of their final product.

Other than that the box looks nice, sure, but these typos kinda cheapen the experience for me. Hopefully FUNimation will catch on to their mistake before the box goes into production and fix this error for the final press.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
If they printed the box art out of focus, I'd be upset. If Funimation did this consistently it would indicate poor quality control. However, in the event something like this slipped through in production, it is just something to chuckle about to your friends when you get it.

If this would completely spoil the purchase for you, then don't buy it. However I would wait until it is found in the wild before you panic.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If they printed the box art out of focus, I'd be upset. If Funimation did this consistently it would indicate poor quality control. However, in the event something like this slipped through in production, it is just something to chuckle about to your friends when you get it.

If this would completely spoil the purchase for you, then don't buy it. However I would wait until it is found in the wild before you panic.

Oh I'm not really "panicking", per se. I'm just trying to let as many people know about it so FUNi takes notice and fixes it as soon as they can.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I could be totally wrong, but I suspect that image is a mock-up of the box art and those mistakes won't be on the actual item.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not out yet, so they can fix it.

They can even explain it away like S'more Entertainment did with their initial craptastic designs for the Galaxy 999 releases...
"Um, we meant to do that!
Yeah, that's the ticket.
Yeah... get the consumer engaged by making them tell us what a crappy job we're doing, yeah."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
The S'More thing was a manufactured controversy. They did it to get people to talk about the release, and it looks like it worked for them. Hell, just look at Fractale.

As for this, it's just a mockup (ie: Not final) and was probably just a problem with quality control and deadlines. I'm sure that it made its way through a few more rounds of QA before they sent the final packaging to the replicator.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope they caught it before it went to production. I'm not sure of the time to remake all the boxes, and it would be expensive in any case.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Crisis averted:

https://twitter.com/lheiskell/status/243799721162977281

Seems that FUNi already caught the typo weeks ago and has already fixed it. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1