• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
R2 usually means 'region 2'. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little injoke there. 'R2' covers US and Japan for region coding.

I'm pretty certain the US is R1 for DVD regions.

Oh yeah, right. Oops. But y'know what I mean.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
R2 usually means 'region 2'. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little injoke there. 'R2' covers US and Japan for region coding.

R2 = Japan and Europe. US-centric view is a funny thing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Honey and clover was announced more than a year ago, in Nov 2006, and there hasn't been a single thing mentioned about it since...

It wasn't licensed that long ago, it was licensed sometime late in '07. You are probably thinking of when it was announced that the license was being shopped around but that was not a license announcement. Monster (and others) has been mentioned in the same way but there has never been any license announcement.

Quote:

Series licensed but no news for more than a year: Honey and Clover, Nana

Again, it's been less than a year for H&C, though I think Nana is approaching that length of time. While DVD plans have not yet been announced, a recent issue of Shojo Beat had an article on Nana and mentioned the English voice actors for the main characters.

That said, I'll be more than a little miffed if Viz has the gall to ask people to shell out money for Nana and H&C when they can't even finish Full Moon and seem to be just hoping we'll forget about it. "Hey, check out our new series, Nana and Honey & Clover. Full Moon? What's that? But don't forget to buy Nana and Honey & Clover!"
Rolling Eyes
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or not... but I have a suggestion for future guides!

If at all possible, it would be great if you could include the date and time that each review was posted. Just as a little add-on after each review. That way I can keep track of which I've read a little better, especially since there are duplicate reviews X3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

That said, I'll be more than a little miffed if Viz has the gall to ask people to shell out money for Nana and H&C when they can't even finish Full Moon and seem to be just hoping we'll forget about it. "Hey, check out our new series, Nana and Honey & Clover. Full Moon? What's that? But don't forget to buy Nana and Honey & Clover!"
Rolling Eyes

Has it occurred to any of you complaining about this that maybe they halted the release because of dismal sales? It's unreasonable to expect a company to keep a release going when it's losing money.

The problem is that nobody was buying those shows, not EVIL VIZ TAKING AWAY OUR ANIMES.

Also, this is completely off-topic. Please go back to discussing the shows and the article.
lumcolette2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Itazura na kiss is doing well with the review score!!! I love the 1st episode & the 2nd ep too =D Is one of my favorite new anime this year (2008 of course) =D
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Well after viewing a few of those listed in the preview I can say that bothKanokon , Zettai Karen Children,, and Allison and Lillia, seem to have the most promise. While I haven't seen most of them yet and have seen a few other ones including: "ToLoveRu" and "Kamen No Maid Guy".

For me Zettai Karen Children is just purely absurd and blatantly homophobic. Like I explained earlier it's silly, absurd and pointless but it has an appeal that you can stomach.

As for Kanokon, it's a shotakon ecchi pure and simple and if your not into ecchi them it's something that I don't recommend. For ecchi fans, it's an interesting and deritive treat. Episode 1 starts off slighty hentaispoiler[With Kouta the hapless shotakon lead almost being seduced by the Kitsune-onna or Shojo-kitsune girl Chizuru, it's actaully pretty hot the way she kisses him] Episode two however stretches the formlua a bit thin with the introduction of the less horny and more quiet,romantic lolicon wolf- girl "Nozomi". But the the introduction of a rival and some more ecchi filled semi hentai moments help hold your interestspoiler[Both horny Chizuru and passonate Nozomi try twice to have thier way with poor Kouta, first in the hot springs and then in the nurse's office.]

After two episodes, I have to say that it's really starting to hold my interest. Like I said, I believe this series will do qiute well in Japan and it wouldn't surprise me if Media Blasters picks this up and licenses it next year.

"Kamen no Maid Guy" is just plain weird. Never before has a anime after FLCL or Pani Poni Dash been so twisted and bizzare. When I saw that steriod looking dude sexually harrass that girl , I was thinking to myself "What the living hell?" Doesn't he even realize how pervered he is? Or is he a total moron. The though of this being turned into a hentai doujin just makes me shudder. (Thanks but I rather look at a Kanokon doujin.)

"ToLoveRu" didn't do for me, it feels mediocre and cliched. Maybe a little more fan service and nudity will do it.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
lumcolette2006 wrote:
I'm glad that Itazura na kiss is doing well with the review score!!! I love the 1st episode & the 2nd ep too =D Is one of my favorite new anime this year (2008 of course) =D

I like it too but judging from the previewin ep 2 I think this is going to be a purely high school show instead of following the manga. In which case I am sure I will lose interest fairly quickly.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Has it occurred to any of you complaining about this that maybe they halted the release because of dismal sales? It's unreasonable to expect a company to keep a release going when it's losing money.

The problem is that nobody was buying those shows, not EVIL VIZ TAKING AWAY OUR ANIMES.

You complain about other people twisting your words and positions so I'm going to assume you simply didn't understand what I was actually complaining about. I'm going to clarify and that's all I'll say about it here. Of course they canned it because of poor sales. I never said they didn't and that's not what this is about. Is it unreasonable to expect a company to actually come clean and say that they've canceled a release?

It's not about the title being canceled. If its not selling, it makes sense to stop losing money. But Viz shot themselves in the foot with Full Moon's release repeatedly (quarterly release, no dubbed songs and no song only sub track, copies arriving at Best Buy months late). And now they are simply silent on the matter and won't even say if they've canceled it (probably) or are going to do something else for the remainder, like the 13 episodes sets (unlikely). They are shoving it under the rug and hoping that those of us that were buying Full Moon will simply forgive and forget and start paying money for two more shojo titles when they haven't shown that they can finish one.

--------

Anyway, as for the current season, the only ones really keeping me interested right now are Code Geass R2, Soul Eater, and Kurenai.

Code Geass R2's second episode was much better even if it was still paralleling early episodes.

Kanokon is fanservice trash, but the second episode managed to entertain me and make me laugh a few times even if the leads are incredibly shallow and/or dull. Nozomu's introduction spiced things up a bit even if its predictable.

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki is completely insane. It wasn't a laugh-a-minute LOL-fest, but it was funny and it kept me smiling. I love Yuka's o_O face.

Golgo 13 was disappointing. For a show about assassinating people, the first episode was rather dull. And it looked like it was made five years ago.

Lillia & Allison has failed to be very interesting thus far. I'm hoping it gets better soon.
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
yay for NnO Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Nabari No Ou is not what i would call a bishie show, in fact it's one of the better shounen series i've seen this year next to Soul Eater.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

There were interviews with voice actors and general news about these titles in a recent issue of Shojo Beat.
nx6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

For BluRay, the U.S. and Japan are the same region, though.

But I think it's identified as BluRay Region 1. So the joke still doesn't work.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
But I think it's identified as BluRay Region 1. So the joke still doesn't work.

It's actually Region A.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
samuelp wrote:

There were interviews with voice actors and general news about these titles in a recent issue of Shojo Beat.

English voice actors? Or the japanese ones... If it's the english ones that gives me hope. And anyway, the people at Shoujo Beat have nothing to do with the decisions behind DVD releases, so even if they are gung ho about Nana and honey and clover, they might not be able to influence whether they get released.

Perhaps Viz is waiting for sales figures from the live action movie DVD before they decide on a release date/schedule/format.

And I really liked Kyouran Kazoku Nikki. Most insane show since Paniponi dash, and with a much more interesting main character. She wins for best character of the season: Insane god-complexed moe cat girl mother emperor. Can't get better than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13