• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Lists New English Dub Cast for 1st 3 Rebuild of Evangelion Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreadnaught503

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Dreadnaught503 wrote:
I'm really confused, Amazon is streaming all 3 of the movies on prime video but when I go to each film it says that it's not available in my location but I'm in the USA. Are the movies still region locked or something. How do I watch the movies ??
13th of August

So all the movies will be available on the 13th ?
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SO thrilled to see most of the original cast back! I couldn’t imagine watching the last film without Spencer and Keith-Shipp.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
Why do I feel like this dub is a middle finger from either Khara and Amazon against the Netflix dub of the TV series?

Probably Amazon, Khara had to approve of the Netflix dub cast and very likely had to do the same here too. I know they had issues with Funi when doing the initial dubs of the films, so maybe they had some issues with the casting of some roles and Amazon tried to placate them? Or maybe Khara wanted to use the Netflix actors for consistency with those dubs, who knows?

Curiously, the same happened with the Latin American Spanish dub, as it was dubbed in Argentina, but Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Mari's voice actors are the ones from the Mexican dubs. It should be pointed out, however, that the ADR and the direction of the dub is done by Argentinians, which means that the inclusion of Mexican voice actors was possible forced into the studio's throats by either Amazon or Khara, since otherwise they had casted those role with Argentinian voice actors instead.

Also, the fact the dub was done in Argentina is quite a miracle by itself: Amazon normally dubs niche stuff for Latin Americans in El Salvador, a country with no relevant media industry to speak of in the region. For English speakers, that would be the equivalent of dubbing a movie or series in Kenyan or Nigerian English instead. In the case of the Rebuild films, the equivalent would be that Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Mari being voiced by Americans, while the rest of the cast being voiced by Australians.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:19 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Believe it or not, Japan is hundred of times MUCH WORSE when it comes with Japanese dubs of foreign films. Possibly the worst examples of this are Shane, which was dubbed to Japanese SEVEN TIMES, with a new dub released at 2019 and starring very well-known voice actors like Kenjiro Tsuda as the titular protagonist and Shotaro Morikubo as Joe Starlet, and Star Wars: A New Hope, which was dubbed about six times.

Wow. Back in the 1990s I was aware that there would usually be separate Japanese dubs for TV broadcast and home video release.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Curiously, the same happened with the Latin American Spanish dub, as it was dubbed in Argentina, but Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Mari's voice actors are the ones from the Mexican dubs. It should be pointed out, however, that the ADR and the direction of the dub is done by Argentinians, which means that the inclusion of Mexican voice actors was possible forced into the studio's throats by either Amazon or Khara, since otherwise they had casted those role with Argentinian voice actors instead.

Something I noticed is that the Argentinean studio that is dubbing Eva, Marmac Group, is the same studio that dubbed Yashahime, but the thing is that Inuyasha was dubbed in Mexico (save for the movies which were dubbed in Venezuela), and many people, including Inuyasha's mexican voice cast, were surprised that Viz Media opted to dub the sequel in Argentina replacing the previous cast. I don't know why they just didn't made a collaborative dub like they're doing now for the Rebuild movies. I know that Yashahime's English dub has a collaboration between the U.S. and Canada.
As for Amazon, they do dub many productions in Mexico, though their most popular shows, The Boys and Invincible, are dubbed in El Salvador. But still, if Netflix's spanish dub for the Eva anime and movies managed to bring most of cast from the Locomotion and Animax versions, it makes me think that Amazon didn't want to spend a lot in dubbing the Rebuild movies entirely in Mexico.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
Dreadnaught503 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Dreadnaught503 wrote:
I'm really confused, Amazon is streaming all 3 of the movies on prime video but when I go to each film it says that it's not available in my location but I'm in the USA. Are the movies still region locked or something. How do I watch the movies ??
13th of August

So all the movies will be available on the 13th ?
I assume so, just have a look at new releases on Friday.
KoolMB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Just rewatched 2.22 to get a feel for the new Mari. Not really a fan. The original Funi dub actress had more feeling and better fit Mari's character. Probably gonna watch 3.0+1.01 in Japanese with subs later. Idk, I watch them in both regardless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5