• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Tales from the Rental Front

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I have a question for Kira, I have heard that rental places have to pay more for the discs they buy to rent out, but have never been able to track down any concrete numbers. Is it true? And if so, roughly how much more is it?

There's various ways for rental stores to get their products. We do go through a wholesale company and get a certain percentage off the discs. Unfortunately, MSRP for pretty much every DVD out is $29.99, so even after the discount we get we're still paying more than what someone would pay at Best Buy or somewhere local, usually around $20 a disc.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
By the way when I saw the name Kira was I the only one imagining Bamboo and Sara sitting and talking with a serial killer and a mech pilot?
Quote:
Unfortunately, MSRP for pretty much every DVD out is $29.99, so even after the discount we get we're still paying more than what someone would pay at Best Buy or somewhere local, usually around $20 a disc.

Hmm I always thought rental places would get a discount. Don't you pay a little more than $20 at Best Buy though?
I haven't brought anime from them in ages though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I am a hardcore Netflixer, I live in a smallish suburb that is the main distribution for the Dallas/ Fort Worth area (Coppell, TX).

I discovered a quirk with the Post Office here in Coppell, that allows 1 day mail for Netflix.

For example, they mail Mon., I receive Tue. , and I can get it back to them by Wed. morning with a new disk arriving Thu which they get back on Fri, and another new disc to me Sat.

On the 3 at a time plan, 7 to 8 discs a week are now common (I have never been able to pull off the 9 discs a week feat).

Ha! I have. Several times! So long as the distribution center is near enough (I have 2). Laughing

Gewürtztraminer wrote:

I have a question for Kira, I have heard that rental places have to pay more for the discs they buy to rent out, but have never been able to track down any concrete numbers. Is it true? And if so, roughly how much more is it?

IIRC, that was with Blockbuster and VHS deal. Blockbuster paid about $100 per VHS.

Cait wrote:
Arthur, the funny thing about cassettes being "dead" is that cassette players are far outliving them. Last year my sister got so frustrated with her FM transmitter (she lived in NYC at the time, and good luck finding an empty channel there) that she had her car CD player, which she'd had installed to replace the cassette player only a couple of years before that, removed and had the old cassette player reinstalled.

I had the same issue, so I just asked for a new car radio with AUX as a b-day present. Laughing
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Cait wrote:
Arthur, the funny thing about cassettes being "dead" is that cassette players are far outliving them. Last year my sister got so frustrated with her FM transmitter (she lived in NYC at the time, and good luck finding an empty channel there) that she had her car CD player, which she'd had installed to replace the cassette player only a couple of years before that, removed and had the old cassette player reinstalled.

I had the same issue, so I just asked for a new car radio with AUX as a b-day present. Laughing

That's great if you can justify the additional cost, but most people wouldn't want to pay to replace the same car stereo twice. My sister doesn't even prioritize technology (like most people don't), so putting yet another car stereo on her birthday/xmas/whatever list wasn't going to happen. I myself would love to have an Aux input in my car, but I'm going to wait for my current stereo to be broken and need to be replaced (it broke once right before the warranty expired, so I expect it to happen again in the next three to five years) or the car needs to be replaced (and I can afford a new one with an Aux input in the stereo).
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I don't like streamed anime, the re-encode quality is often choppy and when the window is stretched, it's not clear at all.

But with many anime going Blu-ray in Japan, somewhat brand new Blu-ray ripped fansubs in H.264 video and ACC audio are awesome. Plus when an HDMI cord is used to hook-up a laptop to an HDTV, the experience makes for a neat late night experience. Very Happy
Overlord Z-ko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
The thing is, if you are always cosnuming NEW content and never or rarely rewatching old, doing it through DVR is great. But how're you gonna watch original Tenchi Muyo OVA? How about Ranma1/2? Are they licenced anymore? In Print? If in 10 years you have a hankerin' to watch RahXephon, will it be available for on-demand? Or will you wish you had saved a copy somewhere?

This is the thing... even now stuff goes out of print, in all media, movies, music, and so on. But that doesn't make listening to an old scratchy version of Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Etta James any less interesting, and maybe transcendent. The same way my reading of my great grandfather's History of the US books [circa 1902] is quite a different experience than reading a wiki online.

In theory, everything in digital format is kept somewhere, particularly if it is a picture of you doing something stupid when you were a kid on facebook... But the fact is that digital content has monetary and licensed lifespan, and you have to take that into account. Otherwise none of your friends will loan you their FollyCooly disks, while you loan them your fritz the cat VHS. [heh, I even had THAT one on Beta Hi-Fi]

FLCL isn't in print and used versions are pricy... but I'd wonder if you can get it on demand. Ther are many properties out there like it. Things that are like the difference between a fabulous cook making you a meal, and eating at micky D's. Both are consumption, but one you may remember forever, while who is going to remember a particular bigmac?

Actually one of the advantages of digital distribution is that it is much cheaper to keep a file indefinetley than it is to keep a DVD in print. Of course there are problems such as DRM and liscencing but it still is a great way to keep things in print.
Arielle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
I live in Boulder and as a "newbie" anime fan I wish that driving to Fort Collins was like driving down the street. Please move into the vacant McDonalds down the street so I can watch more anime. Thanks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Cait wrote:

That's great if you can justify the additional cost, but most people wouldn't want to pay to replace the same car stereo twice. My sister doesn't even prioritize technology (like most people don't), so putting yet another car stereo on her birthday/xmas/whatever list wasn't going to happen. I myself would love to have an Aux input in my car, but I'm going to wait for my current stereo to be broken and need to be replaced (it broke once right before the warranty expired, so I expect it to happen again in the next three to five years) or the car needs to be replaced (and I can afford a new one with an Aux input in the stereo).

A present, so no pay. Very Happy

And since I already got the iPod, might as well fix the FM issue. And the old stereo panel light was going out anyways.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

And since I already got the iPod, might as well fix the FM issue. And the old stereo panel light was going out anyways.

A gift, yes, but it's a pretty substantial gift. I'm at the age now when birthdays and Christmas are not that big a deal anymore, so gift giving has waned quite a bit. Getting something like that would sort of take over what other gifts I might want to receive, and since I'm not hurting for music in my car the way it is now, I'd rather ask for other things.

But back on topic, I'd hate to see even the big chain video rental stores go under. Sometimes I simply want to watch a movie and go pick it up right then and make an evening of it. There aren't really many independent stores around, either, so the choices are minimal. I use Blockbuster Online over Netflix because of their in-store exchange policy. If I want to see something and don't have it with me, I can run down to the store, not pay anything and get a movie to rent for a few days.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
"Arthur - I think you are continuing to make the classic mistake of looking at digital distribution as it is currently constituted and not trying hard enough to see what it will likely be. " Blood-

Perhaps. I think you are neglecting to look at this as a business. Sadly, digital distribution doesn't happen by faery magic.

I can go into the Vidiot and they will hand me a disk with 13Gb of info on it to play. Blue-Ray is 35Gb. If you pull your title through iTunes-esque system, that's how much data has to move. For each of you, your two friends and so on and so on. That system works right now because few people use it. I mean that as a proportion of all the homes that would be covered like Nielsen ratings covers them. I don't know how many that is in Canada, but in the US it's 100+million households. As the proportion of people using the system goes up, the load will catch up with the bandwidth. Probably in very short order, since they haven't been building infrastructure in the last few years.

Basically one delivery system of this digital info was first designed for low data phone calls. They have steadily improved that network, eventually making a lot of it fiberoptic. I don't know how much of that gets how close to an individual house. From the local sub office, you might be going over old fashioned copper wire. Even in suburbs less than 10 years old that is often true.

The other delivery system is cable, which has it's own bandwidth issue in the same way. The more people access the system the slower it gets.

These things are true if you are working this OnDemand. If you are just watching what is being broadcast like everyone else, that is a whole 'nother thing.

For this reason I think the underlying issue is infrastructure first. If you have ever lived someplace where they built a new housing development before upgrading the roads, you'll know what I mean. The issue for a business ends up being that if the consumer can't get what they want, they will abandon your service. If it is too slow, they will abandon your service, if it costs too much, they will abandon your service.

So which is the chicken and which the egg? They won't build more fiber until there is a demand, but what kind of demand will there be if you can't get the service?

It is a completely different question to talk about what this iTunes-esque service will license for your viewing pleasure, [i]and for how long.[i] that was the point I was previously making. I used to have a Blade Runner VHS tape. When it came out on DVD the only version you could get was the "director's cut" which was a version I hated. So I waited for some years [10? 15?] until the ultimate collection came out just so I could have that version.

as we have seen with the litany of complaints about Anime licensing, the same problem will still be there... with one very important exception. It won't be an option to buy a used disk, for example. Let's say you really, really need the Tenchi Muyo OVA disk #3. You might pick it up used online for $100. It is discontinued and not in print.

In an all digital system, it would not exist. Let's say Haruhi Suzamiya is your favoritest thing evar. In a few years it may no longer be in print either. So one day you decide you want to watch someday in the rain, and ??? it's no longer available. Whacha' gonna do?

In the all digital system, THERE IS NO FOREVER for a commercial good. Because you have to pay to have it there. The licensing rights are not only by use, but also by time, AND by each show. Sure your server based Super_Anime_Account! might contain the metadata indicating that you bought a show, but you didn't buy it forever. Since it is electronic you bought it for time. If the license lapses, it goes away because you don't actually own anything.

The disk you have in your hand today is kindof an anachronism. You don't own the contents absolutely, ie. you can't sell them commercially. You can re-sell the disk only, and that probably only still is the case because it would be too hard to prevent you from doing so. But you do own the disk and it's info individually for as long as they last. In the digital domain this won't be the case.

Basically I am approaching my understanding based on how regular software works today, when it is housed on the server level and you are using a thin client to access it. If you let your license lapse, or they stop supporting the version, you lose your access. In a business environment this works fine. In a consumer environment, it relies on consumer churn in interests.

All that being said, I hear Blood- and others on the idea that things will change as time goes on. The biggest sea change will be to see the world as one place first rather than regions, and to sell based on that. But also the understanding of what people want individually will have to change, and there will be hella' false starts on that one. Remember sony's DRM issues? Lot's of companies have that problem, because they didn't ask what the user wanted versus what the provider was willing to give. One of the tightest thing about digital distribution is that you will have to follow their rules on what you do and where. That isn't really the case currently with having individual media pieces in the hands of individual people. I can still play my old scratchy recors however I want, and I don't have to pay anyone for that. Once they monetize digital distribution that won't be the case.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
darkhappy1 wrote:
Yep. I was totally part of the group that "hide titles under other titles." Oh, Vampire Knight #1, hidden under David McCullough's "1776," yet over "Death Note: Another Note" to be squished inbetween.

Yeah, me too. Not with renting, since I don't rent all that much, but certainly with books at the library - okay, I want to take out the first four Rainbow Fairy books, which are clearly aimed at four year old girls. I need to find some adult books to even it out! Um, Lord of the Rings even though I've got it at home, an Agatha Christie or two, something random from the teenage section... That'll do. Then you have to arrange it carefully, shuffling the childish books throughout the adult ones, and making sure the book that's going to end up on top of the pile at the deck before and after scanning is an adult one.

Hahaha, I do this at the library, too. Some of those young adult trilogies that authors have been pumping out nowadays are really fascinating. Thank goodness for self checkout!

Though when those systems are down, I always pull out the, "Oh, these are for my brother..." excuse.

I remember several years back when male fans blanched at the thought of taking the Utena movie up to Best Buy counters, because it was pink, pink, pink.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Arthur, it's kind of funny we're having this physical vs. digital distribution conversation because just today, one of my orders from TRSI arrived at the office. Among the items is the gorgeous tin Desert Punk box set. It's such a beautiful piece of eye candy that all I want to do is run home and start watching it. So believe me, it's not that I don't understand and appreciate the value of a non-digital object.

My other point is that back when the Model T came out, you would have been able to assemble a completely legitimate list of reasons, based on the technical and infrastructure realities of the time, why this newfangled horseless carriage would never be anything but a plaything of the rich. And, ultimately, nothing on that list would have mattered.

As soon as you create a product that is composed of digital information, you are almost automatically ensuring that governments, corporations and consumers will do what needs to be done have this weightless, massless entity delivered to you as easily as possible (in a form that you can store and keep for your entire life).

It's inevitable.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
I don't like streamed anime, the re-encode quality is often choppy and when the window is stretched, it's not clear at all.

But with many anime going Blu-ray in Japan, somewhat brand new Blu-ray ripped fansubs in H.264 video and ACC audio are awesome. Plus when an HDMI cord is used to hook-up a laptop to an HDTV, the experience makes for a neat late night experience. Very Happy
Video related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wf0O6byui4
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

A gift, yes, but it's a pretty substantial gift. I'm at the age now when birthdays and Christmas are not that big a deal anymore, so gift giving has waned quite a bit. Getting something like that would sort of take over what other gifts I might want to receive, and since I'm not hurting for music in my car the way it is now, I'd rather ask for other things.

C'mon, ya can't be that old. Wink
And they can afford it. They wouldn't know what to get me anyways, so they actually prefer it. Laughing

SakechanBD wrote:
Showsni wrote:
darkhappy1 wrote:
Yep. I was totally part of the group that "hide titles under other titles." Oh, Vampire Knight #1, hidden under David McCullough's "1776," yet over "Death Note: Another Note" to be squished inbetween.

Yeah, me too. Not with renting, since I don't rent all that much, but certainly with books at the library - okay, I want to take out the first four Rainbow Fairy books, which are clearly aimed at four year old girls. I need to find some adult books to even it out! Um, Lord of the Rings even though I've got it at home, an Agatha Christie or two, something random from the teenage section... That'll do. Then you have to arrange it carefully, shuffling the childish books throughout the adult ones, and making sure the book that's going to end up on top of the pile at the deck before and after scanning is an adult one.

Hahaha, I do this at the library, too. Some of those young adult trilogies that authors have been pumping out nowadays are really fascinating. Thank goodness for self checkout!

More libraries have separate YA section too, but adult girls being there is not as creepy. Laughing

SakechanBD wrote:

Though when those systems are down, I always pull out the, "Oh, these are for my brother..." excuse.

Eventually, you'll have to change that excuse to: "Oh, these are for my son/daughter." Laughing

SakechanBD wrote:

I remember several years back when male fans blanched at the thought of taking the Utena movie up to Best Buy counters, because it was pink, pink, pink.

Try Escaflowne and those flowery box-arts! There weren't much estrogen in the anime shelves back then. Laughing
(Or was that Love Potion No. 9 oxytocin?)
arachneia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the fact that the library rents DVDs makes me more angry than fansubbers, but that's another issue.

Money grubbing much? I think it's really low that you would actually voice your resentment towards something that is essentially a public charity institution, even if it is cutting into your profits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5