• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: L'Arc hits US in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote
I could've sworn I posted on this...

*cheers* GO LARUKU! I'm a huge L'Arc fan, and this makes me very happy^^.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or rather, that's your opinion. But see, I call them Laruku not because I'm a fangirl who feels special for it, but because in my native language (not Japanese) it's much easier to say 'Laruku' than 'L'Arc'.

But are you pronouncing it "Lah-hlu-koo" or "La-Roo-Koo"?

Most of the aforementioned fangirls also pronounce it wrong Smile
Bell

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually say it (Laruku) the "wrong" way because I got used to saying L'Arc~en~Ciel the American way instead of the Japanese way. Kind of like how I don't pronounce Gackt's name "properly".

You can't tell if a person's a "fangirl" just by the way they pronounce things or the nicknames they use, but rather by the way they act. -_-
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually say it (Laruku) the "wrong" way because I got used to saying L'Arc~en~Ciel the American way instead of the Japanese way.

That's OK, because the only correct way is the French way Smile

Quote:
Kind of like how I don't pronounce Gackt's name "properly".

His name is Gackt, it's intended to be prounced the way it's done in English, again you're looking at the Japanese "good enough" transliteration in "Gahkuto".

It's like with Rumiko Takahashi. The character's name is Lum, not "lamu", but lacking a direct transliteration, she had to go with the "good enough" katakana.

The moral of the story? Katakana is usually the wrong way to pronounce anything that you know for a fact is not an original Japanese word (Like they spell "Yamato" and "Akira" in katakana for some reason)

[/quote]
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
it's a battle of the l'arc fans!

lady mercury, you're the same lady mercury from the jpopmusic forums, right? hi!

Usually i tend to call them a jrock band. There are some songs that aren't like really "rock-y" but that doesn't mean that they're like...a bi-genre band or whatever. i have invented a word. anyways...yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ladymercury

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:35 am Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
lady mercury, you're the same lady mercury from the jpopmusic forums, right? hi!

Yep, yep. Smile

Well, the japanese pronouce Rs like Ls anyway. lol
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, the japanese pronouce Rs like Ls anyway

It's far closer to an "hl", with a breathyness before it.
Ladymercury

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
Well, the japanese pronouce Rs like Ls anyway

It's far closer to an "hl", with a breathyness before it.

Like hell? or heil? wahhh?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
You have to combine the breathyness of "h" with the "l" sound

Listen to how Japanese speak on your DVDs.
Minami

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it also depends on where the person comes from. I know some people in Japan pronounce "ru", just an example, as "lu" and some others pronounce it as sort of a "rdu" or "hrlu" sound..English letters are so limited in this sort of thing..which is why I despise the language. It also depends on the word sometimes too... As for me, I pronounce it as whichever comes naturally. Also I think the 'coolest' sound in Japanese in the "fu" I love saying words that contain that! Anime smile

Anyway, about the subject. I'm very excited that the SMILE cd is being released in the U.S. I did not buy it yet, but hopefully it comes to a store nearby in which I can purchase it! Does anyone know the official date in which it will be released? I heard in June, but June what? Thank ya! Oh and btw, I just joined today so hello to everyone!
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, since Bamboo and I just spent an HOUR discussing this, I should point out that "J-Pop" is a convenient way to talk about all Japanese music. There is a difference between J-Rock and J-Pop just as there is between classical and romantic, but what to say depends on the circumstances. Typically it's perfectly acceptable to throw everything with an orchestral sound under "classical" and to call any current Japanese music "J-Pop." There's a difference, but it's not absolutely essential to distinguish all the time.

Case in point: If you're at a convention and you overhear a couple of people talking about L'Arc and "other J-Pop artists," don't be a fangirl and make a point to correct them. Chances are they don't care, and that's just fine.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Case in point: If you're at a convention and you overhear a couple of people talking about L'Arc and "other J-Pop artists," don't be a fangirl and make a point to correct them. Chances are they don't care, and that's just fine.

Trust me, that's not likely to happen.

The problem these days is everybody at conventions is referring to all J-music as J-rock. J-pop is understandable because of the ambiguity of the word. Some people see it as a genre, some people see it as an all-encompassing word ("pop"ular).

Kevin Lilliard's review of Ushicon in the latest Animerica really saddened me. Not just because I have a personal hand in the J-Pop programming there, but Koda Kumi isn't even anywhere CLOSE to being rock X_x
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm surprised. Maybe "J-Rock" just sounds cooler and more underground. But people are weird that way.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it's because of VK cosplayers and the fact that Duel Jewel was the first noticeable non-anime music guest.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
yay! about time! I've been waiting forever for them to get released here Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5