• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NisiOisin's Kizumonogatari Anime Film Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
What ever the hell they were smoking when they made the new Kizu trailer should be put in the Record books for the craziest trip known to man. There is more crazy stuff in the trailer than the whole of ZSZ and When they cry combined.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
NisiOisin writing status is getting up there with Type-Moon and Key. I'm starting to like NisiOisin a lot more now.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Anyway, again, just one person who doesn't see what the big deal about NisiOisin's writing is and who also isn't really a fan of light novels either, but for those who do and are, enjoy the show I suppose.

So you have read from some of his novels? I haven't so I'm weary to judge someone's talent based on adaptations of his work. That said, the impression I get based on his creations, rather than his writing is that the guy is a creative genius, however I don't know how much of the abstract imagery, if any, comes from his mind or the production staff. It would be difficult, maybe even impossible to write some of the visuals from Bakemonogatari into a novel which makes me sometimes wonder if he's just an average writer with production committees that know how to carry him. I would like to think the guy is just that talented, but I can't judge without seeing his original work. All I know for sure is that when it comes to adapting his works I do enjoy the end results.

Emerje

A few light novel volumes actually as well as reading a little bit of Medaka Box. That's basically how I came to these conclusions. The former read like your average light novel prose, short sentences that are easy to digest and that mostly consist of descriptive first person POV's/observations. If you've read any of the Haruhi Suzumiya novels it's basically a lot like that. Again no better or worse than any other light novel. It's about at the level of books that are targetted at Junior High-High School age teens....again kind of like most light novels. Perhaps if the light novel scene had caught me earlier in life before I was in my late 20's and reading the classics and full on novellas I might have called it stronger writing, but alas.

As for the latter....ummm...well it's something that needs to be seen to be understood. Whether it's to ones taste I think fully depends on the reader themselves and how much tolerance/interest they have for a female lead that is deliberately made to be as perfect as possible in an over the top manner that I've yet to see replicated. In that regard I'd almost recommend it.

nhat wrote:
NisiOisin writing status is getting up there with Type-Moon and Key. I'm starting to like NisiOisin a lot more now.

How do I put this....if that were coming from me it probably wouldn't be meant as a compliment. Laughing Granted my final judgement call on Type-Moon works will have to wait for Fate/Zero, but just definitely not a fan of Key works. I know, I'm unusual for an anime fan in this day and age.

Anyway I think I've offered about as much as I possibly can on this topic of NisiOisin. Thanks to all for listening and not getting all upset like some people tend to get in other places I frequent when I express a critical opinion of popular things. You guys are all class. Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
I've seen flashes of brilliance in NisiOisin's writing (Suruga Monkey and certain parts of Katanagatari) but overall I'd agree with what you said Kaioshin_Sama. I hope Kizumonogatari is impressive though, as like the 10 second glimpse of it we get in Tsubasa Cat is by far and away my favorite portion of that arc.

I don't think Type-Moon had any hand with Fate/Zero though, other than obviously the scenario of the Holy Grail War, some of the servants and tiny bit of backstory that was already established. I could be wrong on that though.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Nisio's writing style is brilliant in japanese like nobodies business but as per usual you lose so much of it in translation it's a joke. You read it anything he writes in japanese and you spend an hour trying to figure out what part is the most important when it all seems to be important. In his zaregoto series there is one part in which one character has 3 pages of pure monologue which is a hell I wish upon no translator, the things he says would kill any man trying to get the full thing across in english. His books will be the torture that school students will have to deciphir for book reports in the next century, in terms of popularity if you super impose japan as the earth he is the japanese j.k. rowling.

Also yes it gets better, sort of ass pull in some points but sooooo much better, the only one which is less than bake from now onwards is the mayoi one but the nadeko medusa is something to behold
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think Type-Moon had any hand with Fate/Zero though, other than obviously the scenario of the Holy Grail War, some of the servants and tiny bit of backstory that was already established. I could be wrong on that though.

Takeuchi drew the pictures. Beyond that, everything that wasn't previously established came from Gen Urobuchi.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering why the hell Bakemonogatari never got a proper release here in the states..just seems odd that a massive title like Bakemonogatari isn't licensed yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2