• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Games Get Collection for Switch, PS4, PC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:53 am Reply with quote
The tightness of Disney’s grip on their IP’s is quite inconsistent. It was their stranglehold insistence that only MCU heroes be playable in “Infinite” that buried the Marvel VS Capcom series.

On the other hand, if this remaster is any indication, they are becoming more lenient and listening more to what old fans want than before.

Here’s to hoping Disney lets Konami remaster the “Aliens” and “Alien Vs Predator” arcade games as well!
Nekbone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
The tightness of Disney’s grip on their IP’s is quite inconsistent. It was their stranglehold insistence that only MCU heroes be playable in “Infinite” that buried the Marvel VS Capcom series.

On the other hand, if this remaster is any indication, they are becoming more lenient and listening more to what old fans want than before.

Selling a bundle of ROMs is probably different than investing and funding a new game. I wouldn't expect this to be an indicator that they've changed their ways if a new game was announced. Disney did also release the Disney Afternoon collection but they're not exactly rushing out to make cartoons like those again - 2D or 3D.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
Punisher's an odd addition to the collection considering the rest of the package are all fighters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Punisher's an odd addition to the collection considering the rest of the package are all fighters.

It's included because it's the only other Marvel-themed arcade game Capcom ever made, and it's already been included with the fighters in some Arcade1Up machines. Considering that this collection is labeled as "Arcade Classics", though, I do wonder if Capcom will pull a Darius Cozmic Collection & release a "Console Classics" collection for the Marvel games, so that Punisher's Genesis port, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, & Marvel Super Heroes In War of the Gems (the latter two of which were SNES-exclusives) can get re-released.

That wouldn't be enough for a collection, though, so if Capcom was to go in that direction they'd probably have to include some of the more quirky arcade ports, like the PS1's "EX" versions of XvSF, MSHvSF, & MvC1 that all removed the tag mechanic (unless you played with the same exact teams), or maybe even the PS360 version of MvC2, to fill out a roster of games for that.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Nekbone wrote:
Lin Liren wrote:

Selling a bundle of ROMs is probably different than investing and funding a new game. I wouldn't expect this to be an indicator that they've changed their ways if a new game was announced. Disney did also release the Disney Afternoon collection but they're not exactly rushing out to make cartoons like those again - 2D or 3D.

This is a slight over-simplification of the situation, because what's most important coming out of this release is the trust and partnership in Capcom specifically, with handling Marvel IP. We did just have a recent, and rather good Duck Tales show, and now they've gone and done X-men '97 and lots of people are talking positively about it.

A lot of these older Capcom-Marvel titles happened because the devs had passion for the source material. On the Disney end of it, if you look at what Nintendo has been doing post-Mario Movie, they're suddenly pushing the visibility of Peach and Donkey Kong more to capitalise on the movie's momentum. I suspect the new Zelda-playable Echoes game is a preparation for the movie that is in the works too. If Disney/Marvel wants to suddenly go in on X-men and bump its popularity after suppressing it during the Fox movie era, the '97 cartoon and a solid collection/repackage are some really interesting signals that communications between them and Capcom could lead to more things down the line if the positivity continues. Now's the time to keep that momentum going, even if it's still a bit unlikely to bare fruit.

Last edited by LinkTSwordmaster on Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

It's included because it's the only other Marvel-themed arcade game Capcom ever made, and it's already been included with the fighters in some Arcade1Up machines.

It has also been acknowledged as part of the series since the Official Complete Works artbook that was released in 2012. This being the same artbook that was included digitally on-disc with the PS4 & Xbone port of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Quote:
Considering that this collection is labeled as "Arcade Classics", though, I do wonder if Capcom will pull a Darius Cozmic Collection & release a "Console Classics" collection for the Marvel games, so that Punisher's Genesis port, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, & Marvel Super Heroes In War of the Gems (the latter two of which were SNES-exclusives) can get re-released.

That wouldn't be enough for a collection, though, so if Capcom was to go in that direction they'd probably have to include some of the more quirky arcade ports, like the PS1's "EX" versions of XvSF, MSHvSF, & MvC1 that all removed the tag mechanic (unless you played with the same exact teams), or maybe even the PS360 version of MvC2, to fill out a roster of games for that.

There's also Marvel 3 & Ultimate which they can use as a way to get the latter on Switch.....though if they do this, I hope they actually patch it up this time.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
A lot of these older Capcom-Marvel titles happened because the devs had passion for the source material.

It'll come down to if the dev's passion clashes with IP owner's plans for the source material.

I would not mind a Shredder's Revenge type game that focuses exclusively on the 90s aesthetic but I am doubtful given all the Marvel games we've gotten from companies like Square-Enix, Insomniac, and Capcom have focused on appealing to the movie aesthetic and modern characters. The IP is probably too popular and big these days to do anything less than aim for mainstream audiences.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:13 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
A lot of these older Capcom-Marvel titles happened because the devs had passion for the source material. On the Disney end of it, if you look at what Nintendo has been doing post-Mario Movie, they're suddenly pushing the visibility of Peach and Donkey Kong more to capitalise on the movie's momentum.

I wouldn’t call a remake of the first Mario vs Donkey Kong and an unnecessary 2nd port of DKC Returns as promoting visibility for Donkey Kong.

At least the Peach game was something new.

King Chicken wrote:
I would not mind a Shredder's Revenge type game that focuses exclusively on the 90s aesthetic

So a remake of Maximum Carnage or Adamantium Rage.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

It's included because it's the only other Marvel-themed arcade game Capcom ever made, and it's already been included with the fighters in some Arcade1Up machines.

I think that some people hold out hope for Aliens Vs. Predator, which does have a really good arcade game and is now owned by Marvel, but rumors are that Arcade1Up can't touch that one, so no one really expected it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:09 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah, I was a bit baffled by the lack of the Xbox One/Xbox Series S/X version. I wonder why?

It's very likely due to its old MT Framework game engine (MT Framework has been deprecated on Xbox since around 2021) since Capcom is still releasing Ace Attorney Investigations Collection (using the newer RE game engine) on XB1

That's why there's no PS5 or Xbox Series versions neither - MT Framework is not supported on the new consoles (the old MT Framework is still supported on the Switch and PS4)

Quote:
Right now, Capcom has no pipeline for porting older MT Framework titles to Xbox's modern ERA system, which makes it more expensive to deliver the same titles than it would porting them to PlayStation 4, Switch, or PC. Perhaps Microsoft could step in to lend a hand here? We can only hope.

It explains all the skips for that platform.

Great Ace Attorney - MT
Monster Hunter Stories - MT
Monster Hunter Stores 2 - MT
Mega Man Battle Network - Unknown
Marvel vs. Capcom Collection - Likely MT
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 am Reply with quote
Oh that explains it, thank you for that information. After you wrote that, I decided to check it out myself and that probably would explain it. I don't expect the game to get a PS5 release because the PS5 is backward compatible with PS4 games so why should there be a need for a PS5 version, it's not like the graphic or loading would increase if there is a PS5 version.

But there's one problem, Capcom Fighting Collection (which came out in 2022) ran on MT Framework and yet it was able to get release on Xbox One. How do you explain that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:27 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

But there's one problem, Capcom Fighting Collection (which came out in 2022) ran on MT Framework and yet it was able to get release on Xbox One. How do you explain that?

Likely it was already in the works before the official deprecation, so it's the last MT Framework released on Xbox
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Likely it was already in the works before the official deprecation, so it's the last MT Framework released on Xbox

Head's up, Capcom has confirmed the collection is getting an Xbox One release (if you have a Xbox Series S or X, it'll be backward compatible) in 2025. Capcom Fighting Collection 2 is also getting an Xbox One release too.

So, looks like Xbox fans can rest assured that they're getting a piece of the action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2