• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reveals Super Mario Odyssey Game For Switch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Did anyone else notice the city is called New Donk City?

Yep. That's a bizarre name for the city, but I'm not complaining.

ajr wrote:
So is Mario deformed or something relative to people? It does looks like Nintendo is trying to make a Mario game that will appeal to those that enjoy sandbox games like GTA, which would make me a little nervous save the other maps/regions match the traditional "Mario" aesthetic much more closely. Plus the gameplay itself looks really fun (and that hat attack is guaranteed to be in the next Smash Brothers)

I don't think it'll be to that extent. It looks like another 3-D Mario game where you have a central hub that's about medium-small but is packed with stuff and NPCs, then you find portals to other, far-off parts. Which is exactly what I've been waiting for.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
the best part is that by the time this is released, the Switch will have been marked down to $250 with a pack-in due to poor sales

You seem awfully sure about that. Shame you're likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Even assuming this does end up being a flop, they never did it with the Wii U, so what makes you think they will this time?
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
You seem awfully sure about that. Shame you're likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Even assuming this does end up being a flop, they never did it with the Wii U, so what makes you think they will this time?

They did it for the 3DS, and the Switch is their bid to combine their console and handheld markets. The U was such an abject failure that it wasn't worth trying to save when they could just coast on handheld sales, but all their eggs are in this one basket once they stop supporting the 3DS. And they're doing a lot of things wrong with it, even if the hardware and games look good overall.

I expect this to do far better than the Wii U, but I don't see the market at large bothering with it when there's a cheaper, more powerful console with a wider install base and a bigger library.

Zelda looks great, but it hasn't been a system mover and it will be competing with its Wii U version at release. Mario won't be out until the end of the year at the earliest. Splatoon is the sequel to a game on a system nobody owned, whose main gameplay mode is tied to a paid online service from a company that's never made an online service worth a damn. The Wii sold largely on the strength of Wii Sports, but what maybe could have been "Switch Sports" is instead a full retail price FMV WarioWare thing that involves more jerking-off motions.

I could be wrong, but Nintendo is screwing up a lot of stuff and I can easily see it going the way of the 3DS release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2