• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Marine Park Has Intersexed Sea Slug Moe Mascot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I have literally no idea what I'm talking about

edit: aw crap i didn't want my snark to be at the top of a page it makes it look like some Drama Discourse or something... i apologize!
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
In the grim world of the future, all will be moe. There will be no exceptions. There is no escape, not even for the sea slugs.

Weep and wail (but do it cutely).
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
In the grim world of the future, all will be moe. There will be no exceptions. There is no escape, not even for the sea slugs.

Weep and wail (but do it cutely).

A world full of moe sounds like paradise :3
fencer_x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
It would've worked pretty well if her gender was more ambiguous.

gender =/= sex
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
ooo boy I knew I should've resisted the temptation to click on comments >.> sigh... Great 'witty' comments guys

keichitsu0305 wrote:
"Carries attributes of both sexes"
...So why not just make a futanari mascot? Confused

Because that would be very, very family unfriendly to a marine park with children to show her genitalia? Also intersex conditions span a wide variety of conditions, and very very rarely means (as far as humans go) that an intersex person has both sets of working genitalia. It can mean they have ambiguous genitalia, or 'normal' looking genitalia of one gender. In fact, many intersex people are sterile.

XerneasYveltal wrote:
It would've worked pretty well if her gender was more ambiguous.

Depending on how each condition is treated, Intersex does not usually mean that your gender appears ambiguous; even if your genitals might. There are many, many intersex men and women without ambiguous gender appearance, because intersex conditions are almost never a 50/50 gender split; and it's not uncommon that intersex conditions deal with internal systems with no visible phenotype. Some people are unaware they are intersex until the issue gives them health complications later in life.

Kadmos1 wrote:
O.K., if I had a sea slug, I woud call it Caitlyn Jenner.

Transgender and intersex are two different things. Is it that hard to use google/wikipedia? Bad joke too anyways. So edgy.

For reference list of intersex conditions

I understand we're talking about an anthropomorphic characterization of said sea slug, but people are badly uneducated about intersex conditions here.

Personally I find the term intersexed her to be misapplied. Its really a term used in relations to humans that carrry traits of both, but don't quite fit into one category or the other as a result, but unlike humans animals can be and some actual hermaphrodites. Slugs and snails are just one example, but she is not intersexed rather just flat out a hermaphrodite. She is biologically a full functional male and female.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Lili-Hime, it was a joke in the sense of one body having parts of both sexes/genders. If Caitlin still has the manly parts, then it is arguably similar to a hermaphrodite/intersex.

I see your point; I googled it and apparently Caitlin's keeping the genitalia she was born with (don't know why), so.... In appearance there are some intersex conditions that would mirror her current body type. But intersex conditions are a wide variety of types. Whole point of my post was just to point out that intersex people usually aren't hermaphrodites in the way people think, so using that term is kind of inaccurate.

Another issue is that while Caitlin may feel comfortable in her body now, she was free to make the choice to have the body she has. Many intersex people have their gender decided for them by their parents, and this is forced on them through surgery and hormones. I grew up friends with an intersex guy who's suffered a lot because of this.

CrownKlown wrote:
Personally I find the term intersexed her to be misapplied. Slugs and snails are just one example, but she is not intersexed rather just flat out a hermaphrodite. She is biologically a full functional male and female.

Yeah that was kind of my point Smile People using the term hermaphrodites is innacurate because that's very, very rare in humans - maybe impossible. Working female reproductive system takes a ton of space to fit that baby in the uterus AND hormones don't work in harmony like that. I.E. if a woman has too much testosterone due to Polycystic Ovary Condition she'll be fertile or sterile, and testosterone is needed to produce sperm. (I know TWO women with this condition). Testosterone can stop ovulation and estrogen can stop sperm production, can't have both! lol Case in point awhile ago I heard on NPR about this Chinese guy that was actually an intersex woman but didn't know it until he went in to the ER because he had blood coming out of him every month and got spooked. IIRC he had ovaries and a uterus and COULD have gotten pregnant with sex reassignment surgery, but ofc that would've meant losing the male aspects of his genitalia because it occupied the same physical space. I think because he grew up as male and wanted to stay male he opted to take testosterone and have a hysterectomy so he'd stop menstrating.

EDIT: Thank you Wikipedia. "Although fertility is possible in true hermaphrodites (as of 2010 there have been at least 11 reported cases of fertility in true hermaphrodite humans in scientific literature),[1] there has yet to be a documented case where both gonadal tissues function; contrary to rumors of hermaphrodites being able to impregnate themselves."

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, she's a human mascot for slugs, not a literal slug. She's an intersex human because that's basically the closest human equivalent.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Japan wont be happy tell every thing is turned into girls
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Whatever is going on with her fictional sex organs, the important thing to remember while you masturbate is that she identifies as a girl.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Cute
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I like sea slugs especially the ones with frilly, transparent 'thingy'. Google Elysia crispata and you'll see what I mean.

@Lil Hime- good point on how intersexual humans aren't as simplified as having both equipment. I was mostly playing with the idea of the mascot being oversexualizwd by an otaku visting the marine park. Its common to find R rated material of mascots regarldess of innocent intentions. (Rule 34) True, it would be impossible to showcase it with out getting to NSFW but, no one visits an aquarium for creepy intentions anyway. I hope. Sad

Still, I like the jacket she's wearing; wouldn't mind buying one.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
ooo boy I knew I should've resisted the temptation to click on comments >.> sigh... Great 'witty' comments guys

I was about to dive in on the topic... But I came too late. You took care of them all. Smile

PS: About parents deciding the gender of their children, Malta, as of April 2015, became the first nation in the world to forbid Sex-Reasignment Surgery on infants.

Last edited by Hellsoldier on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foxaika

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Really cute! Which is something I never imagined I would say about a slug today. All about that futanari am I right? Razz
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I was prepared for worse in the comments section. I'm glad there are some respectful/mature comments though~.

It's really amazing to me that they even bothered that much, but entirely appropriate and cool. I'm curious about the specific words they used, but still happy.

They're/she's very cute, and I hope I can one day visit the park and get merch. (And see the cute little slugs~.)
Which Pokemon is also based on that slug, again?

Hellsoldier wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:

I was about to dive in on the topic... But I came too late. You took care of them all. Smile

PS: About parents deciding the gender of their children, Malta, as of April 2015, became the first nation in the world to forbid Sex-Reasignment Surgery on infants.

That's great news! Cool~.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I was mostly playing with the idea of the mascot being oversexualizwd by an otaku visting the marine park. Its common to find R rated material of mascots regarldess of innocent intentions

I wouldn't bet against there being lewd artwork of her on pixiv after awhile O.o didn't they do that with that one general lady from the Ukraine or something????
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4