• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - Special Edition Part III

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Other than my Monseiur Bome KOS-MOS, all of my Xenosaga figures are the "Xenosaga Legends" collection. Most of them are fine, but some of them are just "why"? Yeah, all of them are from the games, but... Here's the box art of the figures from the first set, second set, and third set.

Tales is actually good with figures, especially the one-coin sets. I know of sets for Phantasia, Symphonia, Destiny 1+2, Abyss, and Vesperia (actually, 2 sets, since they split the cast). The PPP figures are also good (there's an Abyss set, plus a "Heroes" set that has Asbel, Yuri, Luke, Kratos, Lloyd... and I forgot the other 2-3). I've got pretty much the full Abyss set (the only one I'm missing, IIRC, is Luke's normal weapon, since there's 2 of each figure), plus most of the Phantasia set (just missing Suzu and Dhaos), and Judas from the Destiny 1+2 set, as well as both Tears, long-haired Luke, Resort King Jade, and normal Guy for the PPP figures.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Now, it's time to save up for those 4 Freeing 1/4 scale figures of the girls from Lucky Star. Finding Konota's going to be a bitch without paying an arm and a resin leg. The good news: none of the figures are endowed or highlighted.

Not particularly so, but they are strippable so there's the opportunity to at least get them down to their panties. Of course you can leave the clothes on, just saying that they did keep both sides of the aisle in mind when they made em Smile Also, Freeing is coming out with a 1/4 scale Yutaka as well, so I'm assuming that a good bunch of the side characters are going to get the same treatment as the 4 main girls.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, as much as I complain about a lot of the fanservice-y figures they come out with...if they came out with a fanservicey version of a male character I like, assuming I had money at the time I'd probably buy it in a SECOND.

So really my complaint isn't "why are these figures so sexually degrading?" but "Why are none of them pretty guys?!" which...is ridiculous, so I've settled with just ignoring the figures and secretly hoping that sometime I'll finally get a figure of a favorite bishounen.

(But I'm not holding my breath.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, if/when I start collecting figures, I'll probably grab mostly fanservice ones. Why? Because those Ikki Tousen and Queen's Blade figures may look "trashy", but they also look extremely well made. Does wanting Kanu with most her clothes ripped off make me sexist? Well, I love women mentally, spiritually, and physically, so I say no. It just makes me a guy that loves huge tits and curvy butts, which is true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't mind sexy figures so long as they don't distort the canon character, be it looks wise or personality. I have a fair amount of sexy figures, swimsuit and otherwise, and I love them all. They're sexy, but they're not OOC for the character in any way.

I just don't get the mentality that sexy figures are inherently bad. Unless it's someone being a hypocrite and complaining because they want sexy figures of male characters and are going to take out their frustration on the existing sexy figures of female characters, it usually leads back to "sexuality is inherently bad". and I just think that's silly. Sexuality is a part of human nature. I don't feel that it's something that should be repressed.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
I don't collect figures because I don't enjoy dusting. I almost bought Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji because I like the idea of having a butler, but then realized that I would be the housemaid dusting the butler .... which sort of defeats the whole purpose.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:

I just don't get the mentality that sexy figures are inherently bad. Unless it's someone being a hypocrite and complaining because they want sexy figures of male characters and are going to take out their frustration on the existing sexy figures of female characters, it usually leads back to "sexuality is inherently bad". and I just think that's silly. Sexuality is a part of human nature. I don't feel that it's something that should be repressed.

Sexy figures are kinda like sexy pin-up posters we put up in our lockers, and we've all done that, right? Laughing
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
I have always enjoyed reading Robin's panel about collecting. With so much product out there I've decided to stick with girls or girl bands playing guitars.
Dusting is easy, just keep the figurines in their original boxes. That way the figurine stays MINT and I only have to dust the boxes. The other plus is showing the box collection off to friends. Once they internalize rather than theorize that I'm nuts after hearing my rationalization for collecting I know down the road I'll be well on my way to becoming a hikikomori as these folks likely won't return to my humble abode for visitation rights.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Not particularly so, but they are strippable so there's the opportunity to at least get them down to their panties.

That can be said of all figures. I'm sure some ... people... pose those figma figures to their... liking.

I saw the school uniforms for the LS girls. I want. Yesterday.

Given the $150 price tag for each girl, then trying to locate the impossible and difficult time to track down the uniforms, probably looking at $500 total. $600 if Konota can't be found for less than $200 (which seems to be the case. What's so damn special about her, anyway?).

I saw the pics of them in yukatas. I like. Very much.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:

Maybe because some of us really don't think about THAT that much. Yes, we do exist, and yes, believe it or not, some of us are male (raises hand). I mean, I have "alone time" (COUGH!) like 99.99% of the population, but beyond that, I really don't think about it that much, that's just how I roll. So when I see figures scantily clad, I'm thinking, "well, this doesn't seem right, I don't recall characters A and B wearing that save a few minutes of the whole series, and sometimes not even that much." Is that not a genuine reason to be upset? If I wanted to buy a Haruhi figure and most of the figures have her hair colored blue, doesn't complaining about it a little seem reasonable? I also don't like that certain design they do for specific Rei figures that makes her face look like NOTHING like it was on the show, so yeah, not buying it. I'm not going to buy a figure if I think it fails to capture the character properly, I do have standards (though I'm a little more forgiving with trading figures, they're cheap and can only show so much detail).

I have no problem if other people want to buy "sexy" figures, but likewise, people shouldn't have a problem if I don't want to buy any (and get just a little pissed when a character is only available in a fanservice display, just like plenty of people getting pissed when male main characters don't get good figures), and there's nothing "repressing" about it.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sexy figures are kinda like sexy pin-up posters we put up in our lockers, and we've all done that, right? Laughing

No, we haven't. There is a line between "sexuality is bad" and "skewed depictions of sexuality are bad," and I, for one, don't even think it's a fine line. It's pretty obvious.

I also tried to buy the Xenosaga figure line, but after getting swimsuit Shion and swimsuit KOS-MOS from my first two boxes, I stopped. I hate figures that depict their characters like that. And I refuse to buy them.

There are a few figure sets which I highly value in my collection. The first is a complete set of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Trading Arts figures, which is great sculpting, great painting, has male characters, and handles its female characters respectfully. The other set is the Dissidia Final Fantasy Trading Arts, which is all-male, great sculpting, and excellent painting (though I am missing Cloud at the moment Sad ) The Code Geass figures were a step in between. The female characters were sexy, but not exaggeratedly so.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't have that many of the nicer figures because they're just too overtly sexified(it's not that they're sexy, it's that they've been made in such a way that...well it just seems dirty) I don't mind figures like the monsieur BOME figures of Eclair and Lumiere http://wiki.figuremaniax.com/index.php?title=Eclair_%26_Lumiere_~Monsieur_BOME_N°09~_%28Kaiyodo%29 since they actually wear those clothes in the anime(and not just a single episode where they went to the beach).

There's a really good article about this over on tomopop.
http://tomopop.com/nsfw-a-female-perspective-on-sexuality-and-figures-13005.phtml
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2