• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Yep, that's the big thing here. 4Kids is in the market for merchandise licenses, not to sell home videos. If they can't merchandise it or they can't keep it re-running on TV long enough to keep the brand on the public consciousness, they won't be interested in it.

So, given that One Piece is a marketing juggernaut in GLORIOUS NIPPON, why did it take them till they lost the license to even produce a prototype of an action figure? If 4Kids was supposed to be this company that merchandised the living daylights outta a property, then why the lack of effort?

It may be lack of effort, or more likely, the licensees weren't biting until One Piece takes off in America (like a chicken and egg thing).
A-Log

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Judging from what's going on, let me say this:

If, god forbid, 4Kids will sink like a rock, we have this uncomfortable thought...

Veronica Taylor is screwed!

Her and several other NYC-based VAs, to be exact. No anime to dub, no job.
Pharaoh's Slavegirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm just happy 4Kids can't make the stupid new movie they had with combining the heroes from all three YGO. Like, seriously, what the heck was up with THAT idea? It doesn't fit with any canon... like... ever. I mean, I really hope whoever picks it up doesn't do the same thing.... It physically cannot be done - and it was a stupid idea regardless.

Really, the only concern I have is that the voice actors will probably change.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Pharaoh's Slavegirl wrote:
Man, I'm just happy 4Kids can't make the stupid new movie they had with combining the heroes from all three YGO. Like, seriously, what the heck was up with THAT idea? It doesn't fit with any canon... like... ever. I mean, I really hope whoever picks it up doesn't do the same thing.... It physically cannot be done - and it was a stupid idea regardless.

Erm...are you referring to Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time, that was released early last year? 4Kids didn't make it, they merely licensed it for areas outside Asia
Pharaoh's Slavegirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
Ok, so maybe I really didn't pay any attention to the times or dates around the movie - it was understandable considering how much I hate the idea. >.> And really, I don't care how much 4Kids was involved - 4Kids have this tendency to just... ruin things.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 am Reply with quote
Ok, so maybe I really didn't pay any attention to the times or dates around the movie - it was understandable considering how much I hate the idea. >.> And really, I don't care how much 4Kids was involved - 4Kids have this tendency to just... ruin things.

Well, if the movie is already ruined to begin with.... Laughing
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
(I actually prefer the 4Kids English Dub, despite the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes)

Please do not support methods that degrade the quality of media in any way, shape, or form. This includes censorship and cultural white-washing above all else.

I never said I actually liked the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes.

I would be watching the show subbed instead, if the 4Kids English Dub Voices were not awesome.

Totally true.

The only issue I have with Subbed episodes is that it requires me to not only multi-task, but think a whole lot more - and when I'm watching anime, I really do prefer to not have to think.

I enjoy being able to just watch and not worry about the words until later.

BUT, having said that, I do not support 4Kids and their brutal editing methods of perfectly good Japanese programming.

Indeed, if there was an uncut FUNimation dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, I would be watching that instead.

As long as they used the voice actors that 4Kids used, of course.

jr0904 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Does this news mean that the episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's that have not aired english dubbed (Episodes 99-155?), will never air english dubbed now?

(I actually prefer the 4Kids English Dub, despite the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes)

I can get what your saying.

Even though I despise them, at least they treated pokemon right, and I along with most fans would take their case over the Pokemon USA cast, especially when it came to replacing VT as Satoshi.

Heck I even watch their dub of 5D's since it's the only official dub, but even hardcore dubbers like me have their limits, and their destruction of Shaman King was my nail in the coffin for me, just like what Nelvana did with Cardcaptor Sakura.

I actually liked 4Kids's dub of Shaman King.....but back when it aired I was an "early teenager" and I was not introduced to the internet at all until August 2007.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
A-Log wrote:
Judging from what's going on, let me say this:

If, god forbid, 4Kids will sink like a rock, we have this uncomfortable thought...

Veronica Taylor is screwed!

Her and several other NYC-based VAs, to be exact. No anime to dub, no job.

That won't stop people from wanting the demise of a company that RUINED THEIR CARTOONS. No one thinks about the whole "oh hey, there are people involved in this." It's all about "I", "me", and "my." And Strawberry Eggs, I think.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
People who made the decision to ruin my cartoons.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I don't see another company really rescuing Yugioh. The anime doesn't have the mainstream following that Pokemon has, and it doesn't have the hardcore following that would support home video releases.

Really? What do you have to show that backs that up?
Splash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
I don't see another company really rescuing Yugioh. The anime doesn't have the mainstream following that Pokemon has, and it doesn't have the hardcore following that would support home video releases.

Really? What do you have to show that backs that up?

I've been around the blocks too many times. I don't encounter many Yugioh anime fans and even fewer who would buy DVDs. Does that surprise you? Confused
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Normally I would accuse people of choosing sides too early, but when a Japanese company goes to the trouble and expense of suing a company in America, it's usually with very good reason. That's an expensive, uncertain and time/resources-consuming endeavor, and unlike American companies, they don't tend to do it lightly.

Not to mention American courts tend to side towards American companies for cultural reasons.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Not to mention American courts tend to side towards American companies for cultural reasons.

Isn't that considered to be a conflict of interest?
enurtsol wrote:
I've been around the blocks too many times. I don't encounter many Yugioh anime fans and even fewer who would buy DVDs. Does that surprise you? Confused

It does actually. Because there is still lots of Yu-Gi-Oh! fans here in Winnipeg who would love for an uncut release of the show. Plus, they want LittleKuriboh to do the voices. Rolling Eyes
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It does actually. Because there is still lots of Yu-Gi-Oh! fans here in Winnipeg who would love for an uncut release of the show. Plus, they want LittleKuriboh to do the voices. Rolling Eyes

At best, Viz could take control given they release the Manga, or FUNimation could obtain the rights. At worse, we get another company do a hack job all because some Fundamentalist Christian Mother in the central plains is offended by a little cleavage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10