• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Head Says UK Issues May Be Due to Illegal Releases

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know. When I hear people say stuff like this it just comes across like whining. I don't doubt that these companies are in trouble but it just comes off to me as "If we're in trouble it must be somebody else's fault." They're just assuming that if sales are poor it must be fansubs. On the surface that may seem like the obvious assumption but if you actually look even a little deeper it really isn't. There are a lot of factors that affect the industry. If they would actually look at why people are turning to fansubs and try to adapt to meet customers needs instead of complaining about it maybe they would be able to do something about it.

What exactly are these "other factors"? I don't dispute that there are probably other problems out there, it just seems too easy to say that ADV is jumping to conclusions without any proof to back it up. Also, it's hard to meet customers' needs when they want a fast, free product that's available at any time. Yes, something needs to change, but it's not that simple. The companies have to be allowed to make a profit, that's just the way business is.

I don't want to go into a fansub debate so I'll keep this brief. You largely answered your own question though. It's the current system of distribution. There is a huge lack of demand for anime under the current system. There is a growing market of people who want to watch anime. However, the fanbase is much less hardcore otaku and much more causal fan than it once was. That coupled with more general trends in society mean people no longer want to own DVDs or have an anime collection. They want to see their anime and thats it. Also, as anime has made the step into the more mainstream it has lost it's status as some rare niche import. People used to just be happy to be getting any of this rare product. However, nowadays people aren't going to treat it any different than any other product. There is also the major issue of time. With the internet and just the general accessibility of information from other countries fans are no longer willing to accept being on a different schedule than japan. They want to be on the same cutting edge as them. It's no longer acceptable to have to wait years for anime to be released over here. I recognize that it is difficult to give fans everything they want. However, the way things are now are just ridiculous.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Because doing so costs a lot of money in our "justice" system. It's no secret that often seeking "justice" in our incredibly defective system is usually so costly in the realm of time and money that it actually only victimizes the victims even further. Frankly, they can't afford to do anything about it, and the resulting uproar amongst the fans that could result would only complicate matters and possibly make things worse.

Then what are they accomplishing by constantly talking about fansubs? Do they think the subbers and downloaders are going to have a pity-motivated epiphany and suddenly stop what they are doing? If the anime companies are so impotent in the face of the subbers, they might as well just give up now and save all of us anymore of these stupid fansub threads.

My guess is that they hope to enlighten fans and hopefully turn the tide of public opinion -- at least to a degree. The first time someone suggests downloading bootlegs is a problem, people laugh. You get a few companies saying it, a few companies going under, voice actors like Greg Ayers doing seminars, a few legal battles, a few called off deals and discontinued series, a few more people in the industry saying that things aren't going so hot for various reasons -- and people start taking them seriously. I'm sure they would like some of this news to create a stigma to downloading.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
luhead wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Because doing so costs a lot of money in our "justice" system. It's no secret that often seeking "justice" in our incredibly defective system is usually so costly in the realm of time and money that it actually only victimizes the victims even further. Frankly, they can't afford to do anything about it, and the resulting uproar amongst the fans that could result would only complicate matters and possibly make things worse.

Then what are they accomplishing by constantly talking about fansubs? Do they think the subbers and downloaders are going to have a pity-motivated epiphany and suddenly stop what they are doing? If the anime companies are so impotent in the face of the subbers, they might as well just give up now and save all of us anymore of these stupid fansub threads.

My guess is that they hope to enlighten fans and hopefully turn the tide of public opinion -- at least to a degree. The first time someone suggests downloading bootlegs is a problem, people laugh. You get a few companies saying it, a few companies going under, voice actors like Greg Ayers doing seminars, a few legal battles, a few called off deals and discontinued series, a few more people in the industry saying that things aren't going so hot for various reasons -- and people start taking them seriously. I'm sure they would like some of this news to create a stigma to downloading.

Not to bring greg ayers creditablity into question, but I remember on one of the Saiyuki dvds he saying he loved the show, and wanted to play a chracter. So how did he love the show so much?
Read episode by episdoe comments on each episode?
I hardly doubt it.

As for the comment about if you're in college now you aren't poor give me a break. I'll owe 20k if not more by the time i graduate. I was in the hole before I even started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know. When I hear people say stuff like this it just comes across like whining. I don't doubt that these companies are in trouble but it just comes off to me as "If we're in trouble it must be somebody else's fault." They're just assuming that if sales are poor it must be fansubs. On the surface that may seem like the obvious assumption but if you actually look even a little deeper it really isn't. There are a lot of factors that affect the industry. If they would actually look at why people are turning to fansubs and try to adapt to meet customers needs instead of complaining about it maybe they would be able to do something about it.

What exactly are these "other factors"? I don't dispute that there are probably other problems out there, it just seems too easy to say that ADV is jumping to conclusions without any proof to back it up. Also, it's hard to meet customers' needs when they want a fast, free product that's available at any time. Yes, something needs to change, but it's not that simple. The companies have to be allowed to make a profit, that's just the way business is.

I don't want to go into a fansub debate so I'll keep this brief. You largely answered your own question though. It's the current system of distribution. There is a huge lack of demand for anime under the current system. There is a growing market of people who want to watch anime. However, the fanbase is much less hardcore otaku and much more causal fan than it once was. That coupled with more general trends in society mean people no longer want to own DVDs or have an anime collection. They want to see their anime and thats it. Also, as anime has made the step into the more mainstream it has lost it's status as some rare niche import. People used to just be happy to be getting any of this rare product. However, nowadays people aren't going to treat it any different than any other product. There is also the major issue of time. With the internet and just the general accessibility of information from other countries fans are no longer willing to accept being on a different schedule than japan. They want to be on the same cutting edge as them. It's no longer acceptable to have to wait years for anime to be released over here. I recognize that it is difficult to give fans everything they want. However, the way things are now are just ridiculous.

Although it might not have been clear, I was actually asking the question rhetorically. I'm well aware of the various reasons, but I wanted to point out that it's not fair to whittle ADV's stance to simple whining, and that a complete overhaul of a company's policy is not as simple as doing what consumers want.
Fabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
What really gets me is download sites that not only post fansubs of series that have been licensed but also dubs of those show then go and post stuff like this

****************** does not claim to be the creator the anime content listed on this website. We had absolutely no part in any creation of our anime content, and are just dedicated fans of anime who have taken their time to create this website. Although we did not create the anime series we offer, we did create this website to be as original as possible. We ask that you respect the originality of our work, and not take anything without expressed written permission by the owners.

****************** and all of it's original content and images are the sole property of the webmasters of this site. Furthermore, ****************** is protected by the Digital Millenium Copyright Act(pdf). Unauthorized use of any original pieces originating from ****************** are subject to criminal and civil penalties. If it is found that you have taken original work from ******************, you will be asked to remove it peacefully within 24 hours, or risk possible legal action against you or your website

So they don't care about the copyrights of the anime their giving away for free but if you do the same thing to their "Original Work" boy watch out cause they will throw the book at you. Give me a break.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
(rant ahead, you've been warned!)

What a pointless statement from Mr. Ledford. And what a pointless and poisonous thread it spawned. It just continues the useless debates between people who can afford to support the anime import companies, people who can't, and people who just don't care.

I'm sick of hearing about the state of anime from a bunch of import companies whose profits come from remastering DVDs and juggling licenses. If the UK is experiencing problems, I want to hear from retailers and fans and retail tracking groups as well.

Could ANN maybe quit pandering to John Ledford's need to being an attention hound? I see no point in reading about his concerns when he is not the only player in this game. Enough with the press releases and soundbyte from a single CEO, we get it: he thinks fansubs are evil and are destroying the industry and ruining anime for all time. Let's go see what other people have to say about things already!

(rant over!)

Seriously ANN, can we please pursue discussion outside of what a handful of the largest importers think? I want to see stories, not rants from ADV.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Some people also like to have subs that keep more terms in japanese, instead of translating them, such as 'bankai' or 'shinigami' and ect. Not to say I do, but some people perfer it. Doesn't make it more accurate, but the style is more attractive to some.
krelyan wrote:

You mean like this? Wink

That's horrible.

Not Anime Junkies bad, but close..
-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:

Seriously ANN, can we please pursue discussion outside of what a handful of the largest importers think? I want to see stories, not rants from ADV.

Tell you what. How about we cover stories like this, and 200 or so others from different topics every month?

And you read & discuss the ones that interest you.

Obviously this one interests a whole lot of other people. And by our standards, when the CEO of one of the largest anime companies in the world blames the state of the anime industry in Europe on illegal internet alternatives, it's newsworthy.

Trust me, not every story on ANN interests me, but ANN doesn't cater only to me, or only to any other individual. We post anything that we think will interest a significant number of our readers.

-t
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
One-Winged-Angel wrote:
I think fansubs can do some good if they're used for previewing. For example, when I watch a fansub I don't watch past the 5th episode that way I can get a feel for the series and decide if I want to buy it or not. Also, when I like a series it just gets me more hyped to wait for it to get licensed and released so I can buy it.

Maybe fansubbers should not sub past a few episodes, that way they can encourage previewing habits?

Not going to happen. They'll be sent hate mail if they ever did that, and even if they did, some speedsubber or someone anonymous would come in and finish it.
Which is why I still say if you can't stop them use them to your advantage...

If they find some way to use fansubs as part of a company's market research of trends, perhaps they would have more success at bringing titles people will snap up off the shelves without hesitation... again if you can't beat them, find a way to manipulate what they are doing to your own advantage.
Temuthril

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
posterior_praiser wrote:
Some people also like to have subs that keep more terms in japanese, instead of translating them, such as 'bankai' or 'shinigami' and ect. Not to say I do, but some people perfer it. Doesn't make it more accurate, but the style is more attractive to some.
krelyan wrote:

You mean like this? Wink

That's horrible.

Not Anime Junkies bad, but close..
-t

Actually that was never in any actual subs, it's just a joke of fansubbers in general.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:

Actually that was never in any actual subs, it's just a joke of fansubbers in general.

Ahhh... Embarassed

Funny then. I wonder if there are people who actually feel that would be better. Shall we put it to a test?

-t
BluMeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
The reason why people like fansubs isn't necessarily sticking it to the man of anime companies or whatever that jazz might be, it's simply being able to watch a show on par in matters of time with our Japanese counterparts. No, this doesn't mean getting a speedy BVUSA DVD release a few months later, it means getting a translation (good or bad) within 72 hours of the show airing on TV. This is the state that fansubbing is in, again, instant gratification.

A lot of us complain about the one fansubber doing Zoku Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei because he does take weeks to release, but it's not for a lost cause. We just know the show is definitely unlikely to get a license in the forseeable future. Yes, true anime fans will buy the DVDs when they come out, but you can't expect them to stay so true if the quality of each DVD release changes significantly or the dub actors just end up sounding too lame to listen to. I know Zac said we shouldn't care about subs versus subs, but at least with subs I don't have to listen to bad acting in my native language. My main problem with buying anime is there are simply too many shows. It's too big of a market to blindly go into, and reviews don't really help. I have a good 300 or more series that I'd like to see, financially, this is unachievable. What's more, many of those shows are unlicensed, and likely never will be.

Call me a leech, but do the Japanese fans not have the ability to watch their shows on cable TV for only the cost of cable (or whatever service they use)? Give me international cable with a simulcast of the same show, but with subs, and maybe we'll see fansubs and downloading end, or at least slow down.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Temuthril wrote:

Ahhh... Embarassed

Funny then. I wonder if there are people who actually feel that would be better. Shall we put it to a test?

-t

No. Those who avidly watch fansubs generally tend to hate all Translator notes. Adding to that, and against Zac's argument again, who's to say a fansub group doesn't have a bilingual japanese student as part of it? Not all groups are out in the open like DB (god I wish they'd stay indoors) and prefer to remain completely anonymous except for their group's name.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
They can see them on television and tape or burn them off as their air, but do they get the same thing on television as on DVD? I cite Family Guy in the US as an example, watch it on one channel and they will use words and jokes that people without cable and just rabbit ears or even those with just basic cable who only get them on another station might never hear unless they buy the DVD...

Do we know that is not the same in Japan for anime on their televisions or more correctly would we even if it was suppose to be simualcast if somehow that could work out?

Last edited by Ryokosha on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
BluMeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:
They can see them on television and tape or burn them off as their air, but do they get the same thing on television as on DVD? I site Family Guy in the US as an example, watch it on one channel and they will use words and jokes that people without cable and just rabbit ears or even those with just basic cable who only get them on another station might never hear unless they buy the DVD... do we know that is not the same in Japan for anime on their televisions or more correctly would we even if it was suppose to be simualcast?

Yes, there is always the matter of DVD cleanups, but they're generally so insubstantial to the actual show. General examples are things like enhanced panty shots or more animation around the breast/panty area like with Goshuushou-sama or Shana II as recent ones. So in essence, they're still see the show as it was meant to be seen, but they have to have something on the DVDs to make it more enticing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17