• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Doesn't Stroker and Hoop Classify as Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However typical white guys trying to be black can't pass off as black because of genetic issues (a good point with a bad analogy).

A white guy can never pass for black, but he CAN pass for street. Eminem does it. Strangely enough Justin Timberlake does it. Black people love him. That's my point, it's culture, not race. There exists in America numerous micro-cultures, one of which is the urban culture that contains things like rap and hip-hop. It's based on elements of African culture, and is predominantly embraced by black people, but you don't have to be dark skin to be a part of it, and black skin does not guarantee particiaption in it (nor is it easy to be apart of without paying the dues).

Quote:

thats where i disagree. Good argument but someday something may come along where you may not even be able to tell the diffrence by looking, and will feel totally betrayed to learn the awful truth. What I mean by quality is how close to the anime style it is and passes off as such by consumer eyes (not faux anime like teen titans).

My point is that some people seem to insist that show X is anime BECAUSE it's a good show. They say "but it has to be anime, because it's so good! Isn't it better than [blank]?" That's not what anime means. "Anime" is not an adjective used to confirm the greatness of a show, a show is no better or worse for being called anime. Anime is a lable meant to define a series as being Japanese in origin, and if it's not, then that description does not apply, regardless of it's quality.

Quote:

My sushi is not very good. But I gotta call it something.

It's Sushi. The American word. This is not to be confused with sushi, the Japanese word, which has a different meaning to it. Whether the sushi you make is "good" or not is completely irrelevant, do you see my point?

Anime is the Japanese word for animation.
Animation is the American word for animation.
Anime is the American word for a distinct sub-genre of animation that originates in Japan.
Japanese Animation means the exact same thing, only with many more sylables and letters.

There is no elitism, implied or otherwise, in naming something "anime" or "not anime".

Quote:

okay.. so. I am eating Chinese food. It didn't need to be from China. Hell, I think the cook was Korean.

Chinese food isn't even what they eat in China (mostly). The American word "Chinese food" refers to a certain menu of items and flavors. It has no connection to the American word "anime".

Quote:

so...if South Park was outsourced to Japan and made the same way, its anime by default?

If it was writen by Japanese people and the character designs were done by Japanese people, yes. Otherwise, no.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Quote:

okay.. so. I am eating Chinese food. It didn't need to be from China. Hell, I think the cook was Korean.

Chinese food isn't even what they eat in China (mostly). The American word "Chinese food" refers to a certain menu of items and flavors. It has no connection to the American word "anime".

It wouldn't be "authentic" Chinese food would it? Just like anime-styled american animation isn't "authentic"

btw, non-authentic chinese food can be very weird sometimes. There seems to be a thrend of pouring soy sauce in the rice. I think that is really weird....

Trying eating an Indonesian (or any other Asian) hamburger... even if there is the same restaurant in the U.S.... it's tiny, taste strange and has the side dish of rice. It's not authentic.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Thefreedictionary.com
Quote:
Anime- A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

That is such as stereotyped dictionary entry...

Always the "Violence", "Futuristic" and "Sex" stereotypes...

*sigh*

[quote = "Merrium-Webster"]a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes[/quote]

at least merrium webster is a little nicer...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

Nah your not. And yes your right. That's what foriegn (to japan) anime will be considered- a sub genre, but still reckonized as anime by the masses if good enough to be such. I didn't know where J pop or J rock were coined. But the point is Jrock/pop branched out from a style that was perfected/marketed/orignated elsewhere. To deny calling them pop or rock even though the musical style is there because thier foriegn style and modifications don't meet the original audience standards is just silly.

Well i know J-pop is coined from a Japanese music station and J-Rock was coined by non-japanese fans to differentiate more rock type of music (in Japan, j-rock is just called j-pop)

Well, not everyone is up to listening to music they can't understand, no matter how good the song it.
I've been commented on why i listen to japanese music even though i don't know any japanese... simply, i don't think music should be judged on just lyrics, but the actual music itself. In fact, if the music is nice, i won't care about the lyrics (unless it's really annoying engrish)

Too bad not everyone things this way.

J-Pop music is heavily influenced from Western music, but the japanese have mangaed to create their own style and originality from it.

When you say "the orginal audience" do you mean the american audience? i'm a bit muddled...
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
However typical white guys trying to be black can't pass off as black because of genetic issues (a good point with a bad analogy).

A white guy can never pass for black, but he CAN pass for street. Eminem does it. Strangely enough Justin Timberlake does it. Black people love him. That's my point, it's culture, not race. There exists in America numerous micro-cultures, one of which is the urban culture that contains things like rap and hip-hop. It's based on elements of African culture, and is predominantly embraced by black people, but you don't have to be dark skin to be a part of it, and black skin does not guarantee particiaption in it (nor is it easy to be apart of without paying the dues).

Quote:

thats where i disagree. Good argument but someday something may come along where you may not even be able to tell the diffrence by looking, and will feel totally betrayed to learn the awful truth. What I mean by quality is how close to the anime style it is and passes off as such by consumer eyes (not faux anime like teen titans).

My point is that some people seem to insist that show X is anime BECAUSE it's a good show. They say "but it has to be anime, because it's so good! Isn't it better than [blank]?" That's not what anime means. "Anime" is not an adjective used to confirm the greatness of a show, a show is no better or worse for being called anime. Anime is a lable meant to define a series as being Japanese in origin, and if it's not, then that description does not apply, regardless of it's quality.

Quote:

My sushi is not very good. But I gotta call it something.

It's Sushi. The American word. This is not to be confused with sushi, the Japanese word, which has a different meaning to it. Whether the sushi you make is "good" or not is completely irrelevant, do you see my point?

Anime is the Japanese word for animation.
Animation is the American word for animation.
Anime is the American word for a distinct sub-genre of animation that originates in Japan.
Japanese Animation means the exact same thing, only with many more sylables and letters.

There is no elitism, implied or otherwise, in naming something "anime" or "not anime".

Quote:

Quote:

so...if South Park was outsourced to Japan and made the same way, its anime by default?

If it was writen by Japanese people and the character designs were done by Japanese people, yes. Otherwise, no.

well, on the chinese food, I didn't know any of that. Its an analogy about names and adjectives and the nouns they refer to. Change Chinese to Italian, or Mexican, and its back on track with what I am sayin.

South Park made by the Japanese with the same design considered anime?...well thats a whole nother can of worms, so I wont go there.

Sushi by american terms, and Japanese terms.. I didn't know it meant two diffrent things. I looked it up out of curiousity, and am a little confused. How about a link explaining? if thats the case, I see your point. But my point is, if someone tries to produce anime regardless of who, we shouldnt pretend that they are not trying to produce anime. The finished product, like the meaning of sushi, may confuse the gaijin dog. I mean the average american citizen who has seen an anime flick or two will point and say..."that must be an anime," while the "otaku" may say otherwise.

I totally get everything else your saying, and your making a lot of sense (especially about eminem). But it really is up to the beholder to decide for him or herself what to call that "anime." or "cartoon." If I had the creditentials and time to place a scientific study, i would totally test that out by asking "otaku" and "non otaku" in naming examples and origins of different animation.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

Nah your not. And yes your right. That's what foriegn (to japan) anime will be considered- a sub genre, but still reckonized as anime by the masses if good enough to be such. I didn't know where J pop or J rock were coined. But the point is Jrock/pop branched out from a style that was perfected/marketed/orignated elsewhere. To deny calling them pop or rock even though the musical style is there because thier foriegn style and modifications don't meet the original audience standards is just silly.

Well i know J-pop is coined from a Japanese music station and J-Rock was coined by non-japanese fans to differentiate more rock type of music (in Japan, j-rock is just called j-pop)

Well, not everyone is up to listening to music they can't understand, no matter how good the song it.
I've been commented on why i listen to japanese music even though i don't know any japanese... simply, i don't think music should be judged on just lyrics, but the actual music itself. In fact, if the music is nice, i won't care about the lyrics (unless it's really annoying engrish)

Too bad not everyone things this way.

J-Pop music is heavily influenced from Western music, but the japanese have mangaed to create their own style and originality from it.

When you say "the orginal audience" do you mean the american audience? i'm a bit muddled...

great comments there. Same here, I love Rammstein,and I dont speak German. "J-pop influences from Western music..there own style..." true and true. And that's the what I hope to expect from new styles of American animation on anime influence- an anime sub genre of american animation.

The original audience is the american audience, because we lit the fire for Rock and Roll, and Pop. And our corporate enforced MTV culture still leads the way.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Quote:

It wouldn't be "authentic" Chinese food would it? Just like anime-styled american animation isn't "authentic"

Well..there ya go. Words and concepts change over time. Who knows what the heck anime will mean 100 years from now... "Otakus" may end up forced to relocate on another planet anyway, so no one else will even care.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its an analogy about names and adjectives and the nouns they refer to. Change Chinese to Italian, or Mexican, and its back on track with what I am sayin.

Not really. The American concept of Mexican and Itallian food is ALSO slightly out of synch with the Mexican or Italian variations of those words. For example, true Italian pizza is a completely different thing than American pizza, usually involving slabs of fresh mozzerella (which is considerably different than he shavings of aged mozzerella that we tend to use), loosely covering a thin crust, sometimes with whole tomato slices in the sauce.

Quote:

Sushi by american terms, and Japanese terms.. I didn't know it meant two diffrent things. I looked it up out of curiousity, and am a little confused. How about a link explaining?

The Japanese word "sushi" refers to the vinegar favored rice used in many sushi dishes. If the dish has this rice, as most rolls and such do, then it's sushi, if it does not, then it has a different name. the American word "sushi" refers to a whole host of items, including some that do not even include sushi rice. The difference is rather subtle there, but it exists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5