• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Funi Like How?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chii85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It would have been great if Toonami/AS aired The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, though I can imagine even at that late at night there would be self-imposed restrictions. The show loves Fujiko's breasts.

They would just censor the nipples?

At the very least. I can't see the opening sequence making it onto the air at all.

I seriously doubt Fujiko would even be considered because for one thing they're going to have a hell of time. They wouldn't be able to simply cut out a quick scene with some fleeting nipples. They would need to paint over the nipples and the pubic area by hand, frame by frame, as they do have in-house people that specialize in that. There are also sexual scenes that need editing/cutting. Overall Fujiko would require a lot more labor than they're used to. Plus it would be obvious and rather annoying to see such blatant, constant censorship. The show would be ruined.

I also don't think there is even enough of a casual, late-night cable audience for Lupin, especially during the deader hours that they'll use since it'll be a lower priority than other shows. So I'm not sure if Toonami can even justify the cost of labor required to censor it, with the projected ratings for such dead hours.

What about putting it on Neon Alley?
Chii85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I don't know what is a worse decision by Funi:

not dubbing Tales of the Abyss or failing to license Symphogear for home video.

At least we now know Funi's strategy for dealing with titles that they couldn't be bothered to get the original cast for: just release them sub-only and an implied "our in-house dub or no dub".

As I said it earlier quote they will try to dub it but tales of abyss will probably have to be done in-house. It not really a real strategy I know they do production in-house mostly but they outsourced on Black Lagoon season three and I want those to be dubbed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ configspace:

I should point out that whatever would be edited from most anime shows would not be up to Adult Swim so much as the anime companies distributing those shows and giving the episodes to Adult Swim to broadcast. In Fujiko Mine's case, anything potentially edited and probably even censored would be up to Funimation if the show were to be broadcasted.

And from what I understand, the whole issue of whether it would attract enough of a casual, late-night cable audience doesn't really matter as much as you make it out to be. It just boils down more to whether the team at William Street like what they see and if it has a fair bit of action in it (it doesn't have to be constant mind you). But it would have to catch their eye in the flood of other titles Funimation has in their catalog that could also fit the block.

It was William Street that did the censorship for Tenchi Muyo on Toonami, not Pioneer/Geneon. Toonami said it was the most difficult show to air because of all the censorship they had to do. Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo weren't AS bad, but the original OVAs turned bad censorship into an art form. There was one episode with Ryoko naked for easily half of it. Williams Street painted a digital bikini on her frame-by-frame for every shot, and it looked hilariously awful. They also had to pay the original voice actors to come back in and redub some lines to censor dirty words and sexual dialogue (and references to sake...). It was a mess.

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGDaYXC0UAU

Here's the Toonami (and edited VHS) ending that credits William Street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=WlZDrcj5sWM
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
@ PurpleWarrior13:

When I said what I said, I was referring specifically to shows that are airing/have aired on Toonami on Adult Swim. I had no idea how much of that also applied to shows on Toonami throughout its run on CN or by how much. The matter of the distributors editing and censoring some shows might've applied to some shows while others may have had Williams Street do that. But I don't really know the story with most shows that aired that far back on Cartoon Network (times may have been different then, I don't know). I didn't mean to refer to pre-Adult Swim shows on Toonami so I apologize if my previous post implied that.

Although, I do find the story of Tenchi Muyo edits and censorship informative. I vaguely remembered some edits and the ending theme (though the digital bikini one I couldn't remember for the life of me), but was never aware to who did the editing. Although the edits in the three series never bothered me honestly. I mean I was only 9-10 years old at the time. Heck, the ending theme as it was presented then felt soothing for me to watch after a long day of school (though I only recalled the version where Ryo-Ohki was fishing for I think a carrot).
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
@Hypeathon

From your linked interview, they said that they did all the editing--the nudity and language--for Akira themselves, not Funimation, because Funi did not have a censored version, and due to time/efficiency since they needed to run it by the executives. So I think the same would apply Lupin III Fujiko since there is no censored version of Fujiko available either.

If they were feeling irrational and choose to license Fujiko, I'm sure it would absolutely surpass Tenchi Muyo as their most difficult and expensive show to do, and they'd likely be criticized for it as well. Although if it needs to pass by the Japanese producers first, I'm not sure if they even would allow it to begin with.

Chii85 wrote:
What about putting it on Neon Alley?

Yeah that would work. As far as I understand everything like Berserk, Zetman, etc is uncut on Neon Alley especially since they explicitly advertise that. It's possible because Viz made Neon Alley strictly adults-only (nothing legally required, it's just Viz's own policy)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
I doubt Toonami would show Fujiko even without all the necessary censorship, although some stuff would be different from Tenchi. First of all, Tenchi was being censored for afternoon kids' programming, which meant they also had to censor words like "Damn," as well as sexual references, smoking, violence/gore, and alcohol usage/references. None of the above would be an issue for the [adult swim] Toonami. Keep in mind that Tenchi Muyo GXP didn't require nearly this much censorship (if any at all).

How did Toonami handle the language in Akira? Did they get the original voice actors to come back, use sound-alikes, blank the dialougue, or cut the scenes entirely? I know for Tenchi, while they got MOST of the original cast back, there were a couple replacements for the censored lines (notable Mihoshi, and Tenchi's dad and grandpa), and I know for Seiryo, they redid ALL of his dialogue (he only appeared in one episode) most likely because he sounded too flamboiant and stereotypically gay (despite fighting Tenchi to win a woman's heart), lisp and everything. His Toonami voice was more wacky than anything.

@Hypeathon The ending you're talking about was the Toonami ending for Tenchi Universe, but it used the Tenchi Muyo (OVA) theme song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4