• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Job Openings at Anime News Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Also, I think that if I were assigned to watch shows I would normally choose not to watch, I might end up not liking anime very much. I think it is fun to entertain the idea of professionally working at something that is a personal hobby. Thing is, would it still be fun if it becomes a job?

I write about stuff I do as a personal hobby for free (aside from review samples) at Tomopop. Sometimes I write about things I'm not incredibly interested in just to fill gaps in coverage and it feels a little more like work than fun. But I think if I did it as a paid job I'd be much more willing to "work" and still be able to enjoy that other stuff I already like as a bonus.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ ikc - I recently tried to watch a Funi simulcast for one of their Fall '13 shows and got the "not available in your God-forsaken, benighted part of the world" message.

I'm thinking that must just be some kind of glitch (probably the same reason California was blocked). I watched a bit of Machine Doll and BlazBlu on their site without incident the day it went up. In fact, the only recent issues I remember having are with Danganronpa and that was just (I think) because they posted a Hulu embed first. Within a day it was up under their own player and worked fine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. I'll definitely go back and check. I'd rather watch from the Funi site directly then depend on my friendly neighborhood rip aggregator.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
When do you think we're going to see the new faces' reviews start to appear?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
When do you think we're going to see the new faces' reviews start to appear?

Not going to give a timeline or set any expectation on that front. These things take time (and I'm on vacation through next Tuesday anyway).
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched +12 anime a season, because I always dreaded then it would feel like a job.

And now it's preventing me from getting a job.

What irony.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

For the streaming position I live in Canada and don't have access to Hulu. That being said I consume large amounts of anime every season and have been writing reviews for over a year at this point and have received press releases from Viz Media and review copies from Vertical Inc. Can I still apply?

Isn’t there ways of bypassing IP region blocking. Fans do it to watch or visit Japanese websites, who don’t want foreigners screaming about their material. May take a bit of searching, but there is probably a site that allows you to use a U.S. IP. As long as you are a paying Hulu customer, there shouldn’t be any problems.

Yes, people in Japan use VPNs like CyberGhost and HideMyAss, e.g. using US-based servers to access U.S. Hulu. Here's a couple more articles about it:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2012/may/17/vpn-internet-privacy-security

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

It's paid service, so depends on how badly one wants to do something.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I've never watched +12 anime a season, because I always dreaded then it would feel like a job.

And now it's preventing me from getting a job.

What irony.

Until my work hours changed a year ago I would average around 20 shows per season. I'm actually watching 12 simulcasts this season and plan on adding a few more. It didn't feel like work then and doesn't feel like work now. I watch the stuff because I enjoy it and American TV doesn't really do much for me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Isn’t there ways of bypassing IP region blocking.

There are, but there are two issues with this.

The first is the legality. Each country is different, and some laws expressly forbid region lock bypassing as it's defined as "circumvention" to local copyright. There are very few exceptions to using VPNs in most countries. It's definitely illegal in Japan, Spain, and Australia, while very borderline in the United States.

The second is many sites will block IP addresses of known VPN and proxy sites. If an employee is using a VPN service, and it's later blocked, this would effectively prohibit them from doing the job without taking illegal actions to finish the series' under review.

These sites share a blacklist between them when new VPN/Proxy IP addresses are found.

From ANN's perspective, using a VPN/Proxy service isn't going to be allowed. If a person can't get to it directly from their own IP address, it's a pretty good bet the applicant will be turned down.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Isn’t there ways of bypassing IP region blocking.

There are, but there are two issues with this.

The first is the legality. Each country is different, and some laws expressly forbid region lock bypassing as it's defined as "circumvention" to local copyright. There are very few exceptions to using VPNs in most countries. It's definitely illegal in Japan, Spain, and Australia, while very borderline in the United States.

The second is many sites will block IP addresses of known VPN and proxy sites. If an employee is using a VPN service, and it's later blocked, this would effectively prohibit them from doing the job without taking illegal actions to finish the series' under review.

These sites share a blacklist between them when new VPN/Proxy IP addresses are found.

From ANN's perspective, using a VPN/Proxy service isn't going to be allowed. If a person can't get to it directly from their own IP address, it's a pretty good bet the applicant will be turned down.

If you have a paid U.S. Hulu account, I don's see why ANN would care about your means of reaching that account. I am sure also, that the demand from foreign countries for U.S. entertainment, that there are many options to reach U.S. IP's, and that they are constantly being updated.

Bottom line, if this job is important to you, then you will do everything in your means to ensure you that you meet the eligibility requirements. If ANN for some reason requires that you live in the U.S., then you will acquire an official U.S. mailing address, and a cell phone using a U.S. area code. Which could be easy if you have friends or relatives in the U.S., but could be done without them.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Also, I think that if I were assigned to watch shows I would normally choose not to watch, I might end up not liking anime very much. I think it is fun to entertain the idea of professionally working at something that is a personal hobby. Thing is, would it still be fun if it becomes a job?

Without question there are times when this kind of work can become a slog, and I think anyone here at ANN who's done those for any length of time would probably agree with me on that. Knowing that you're stuck watching the rest of an episode or series that's really awful is depressing, but at least you get to vent on it when you're done. (The toughest ones are actually the middle-of-the-road titles, which are inoffensive to watch but can be very hard to write up when the title does nothing to distinguish itself.)

Everyone who does this for any length of time finds a way to manage dealing with the disagreeable titles, though; you can't do this kind of work for the long term if you don't. My way is to take a "diamond in the rough" attitude - in other words, allow the chance that something that I might not normally like shines in this particular instance. Granted, successes like that aren't common, but the ones that do hit home can easily make up for wading through a lot of crap to get to them. (Cross Game is probably the best example of that for me.)

So yeah, it does sometimes feel like a job, but the side benefits of it, and the happy realization that you're actually getting paid for watching anime, usually make up for it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4