• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Doesn't Stroker and Hoop Classify as Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
Since just about everyone here accepts the American definition of what anime is, how should anime be pronounced? Should it be "ah-ni-meh" or should it be "anna-may"? Should manga be pronounced "mon-gah" or "man-gah"? Yeah, I know these pronouncations might not make sense the way I've typed them, but those are the best I could get, so please bare with me here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Okay, back to topic...

"Is it anime?"

No.

"Why not?"

Because it's not from Japan.

"But the Japanese use the word "anime" to refer to all animation!"

It's easier than saying "Animeshun."
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Than I guess Eminem is not a real rapper than. And this sushi I'm eating is counterfeit (i made it).

Sorry, but you totally misinterpreted what they were saying (there is a heck of a lot more to that than what you picked and chosen). Anime is a term we outsiders changed in what we call this crazy wierd cartoon style those wacky Japanese folk brought to us. Anime regardless of what race or culture pulls it off originated in Japan, because the Japanese culture was (and still remains) the supernova for that inspiration.

So, wanna argue whether or not the sky is blue? Anime is a loanword of Japanese origin, just like ninja, tofu, tsunami etc., it's part of the English language now and has a specific definition. The English language borrows words from other languages all the time. Take a look at all these words, they're all taken from different languages and have specific definitions. The examples you used are irrelevant because the definition of a rapper does not require them to be black (most of them are though) and sushi is sushi, there is no requirement for it having to be of Japanese origin unlike the term "anime".
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I don't think anybody ever brought up skin color, you just have to be Japanese. I don't mean Japanese American either, I mean Japanese. It's a cultural thing, not a racial thing. I imagine that a white or black person, raised in Japan as a full Japanese (Japanese as a first language, full Japanese education, etc.) could produce true anime, just as Eminem, truly immersed in urban culture, can produce true rap. Vanilla Ice, not immersed in urban culture, but a fan of it, cannot.

People not truly engaged in Japanese culture (and no, watching a lot of anime, learning Japanese, and going to a bunch of cons does not qualify you) trying to produce anime is like the typical white guys going to a suburban highschool with no actual black people and trying to be street. It clearly doesn't work.

I totally understand your well written counterpoint. I think its a matter of opinion in the end. To you and many others, I can totally see that, and respect it. I think to produce good anime and get "otaku" street cred, than that person should be immersed in Japanese culture (on location). However that line will be blurred as japanese culture grows here. However typical white guys trying to be black cant pass off as black because of genetic issues (a good point with a bad analogy).

Quote:
And again, IT'S NOT A MEASURE OF QUALITY.

thats where i disagree. Good argument but someday something may come along where you may not even be able to tell the diffrence by looking, and will feel totally betrayed to learn the awful truth. What I mean by quality is how close to the anime style it is and passes off as such by consumer eyes (not faux anime like teen titans).

Quote:
Than I guess Eminem is not a real rapper than. And this sushi I'm eating is counterfeit (i made it).

He is, your suchi isn't (I'm guessing, most sushi produced in the US isn't sushi).[/quote]

My sushi is not very good. But I gotta call it something.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

Sorry, but you totally misinterpreted what they were saying (there is a heck of a lot more to that than what you picked and chosen). Anime is a term we outsiders changed in what we call this crazy wierd cartoon style those wacky Japanese folk brought to us. Anime regardless of what race or culture pulls it off originated in Japan, because the Japanese culture was (and still remains) the supernova for that inspiration.

So, wanna argue whether or not the sky is blue? Anime is a loanword of Japanese origin, just like ninja, tofu, tsunami etc., it's part of the English language now and has a specific definition. The English language borrows words from other languages all the time. Take a look at all these words, they're all taken from different languages and have specific definitions. The examples you used are irrelevant because the definition of a rapper does not require them to be black (most of them are though) and sushi is sushi, there is no requirement for it having to be of Japanese origin unlike the term "anime".

okay, hang on there truck driver! Your the one who doesnt want "no more opinions." I have no idea what point your making about the word itself. Anime means two different things between us and the Japanese.. read your ANN lexicon example again (and not just what you lifted out of there).

the examples I wrote in my thread are quite relevant. And you proved why. There is no definition that states a person or people who produce anime must be Japanese. Anime is of Japanese origin. Rap music is of African American origin. Sushi is of Japanese origin. If you don't get what the heck I was saying than, read that ANN lexicon again and again till you get it right.

Once again peoples... Whether anime is anime should really be up to the beholder, and should be kept open as such. As far as factual stuff goes, there is no such thing as an art style only a certain people can perform and no one else. If you wish to prove otherwise is a fact, show some scientific evidence why. Tell me about this "anime genome."
Rook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Anime is a word used by the Japanese, "borrowed" from French to describe something they had no word for.

Manga already meant "cartoon" (IIRC). There was a need to distinguish between a still cartoon, and an animated one. Anime is, I guess, easily pronounced by the japanese, so there you go.

Anime = Animation. All animation. This is why I, personally, distinguish things by their country of origin and my native word for animation. Which, is animation.

Japanese Animation
American Animation
Canadian Animation
British Animation
Afghanistanimation, whatever.

It's all cartoons. I think its funny when (some) folks cling desperately to the idea that nothing that isn't from the purest intentions of a native Japanese, or the idea didn't originate there, that it isn't anime.

You go to Japan, you buy a season of the Simpsons, you're buying anime. American/Korean (arguably) anime, but anime none the less.

/rant
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
okay, hang on there truck driver! Your the one who doesnt want "no more opinions." I have no idea what point your making about the word itself. Anime means two different things between us and the Japanese.. read your ANN lexicon example again (and not just what you lifted out of there).

the examples I wrote in my thread are quite relevant. And you proved why. There is no definition that states a person or people who produce anime must be Japanese. Anime is of Japanese origin. Rap music is of African American origin. Sushi is of Japanese origin. If you don't get what the heck I was saying than, read that ANN lexicon again and again till you get it right.

Once again peoples... Whether anime is anime should really be up to the beholder, and should be kept open as such. As far as factual stuff goes, there is no such thing as an art style only a certain people can perform and no one else. If you wish to prove otherwise is a fact, show some scientific evidence why. Tell me about this "anime genome."

Rook wrote:
Anime is a word used by the Japanese, "borrowed" from French to describe something they had no word for.

Manga already meant "cartoon" (IIRC). There was a need to distinguish between a still cartoon, and an animated one. Anime is, I guess, easily pronounced by the japanese, so there you go.

Anime = Animation. All animation. This is why I, personally, distinguish things by their country of origin and my native word for animation. Which, is animation.

Japanese Animation
American Animation
Canadian Animation
British Animation

It's all cartoons. I think its funny when (some) folks cling desperately to the idea that nothing that isn't from the purest intentions of a native Japanese, or the idea didn't originate there, that it isn't anime.

You go to Japan, you buy a season of the Simpsons, you're buying anime. American/Korean (arguably) anime, but anime none the less.

/rant

If all of us used the original meaning for words from where it came from, we would be talking nonsense to each other constantly. Both your logics flawed. Anime, in English, is not equal to all animation, it is specifically reserved for animation of Japanese origin (don't blame me, I didn't create the word). We're talking in English, use the English definition of anime. It's really not that hard.

Quote:
There is no definition that states a person or people who produce anime must be Japanese.

No, but there is one saying it must be of Japanese origin.

Wictionary wrote:
Noun
anime

Animated works that originated in Japan. Sometimes has a related manga or video game. Voice actors for characters in an anime are called seiyuu for the non-dubbed versions.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman has summed it up. Please, no more flaming. This is no better than fansub or "dub vs. sub" debates. Rolling Eyes

Maybe I'll post "10 worst threads in an anime forum," and the "definition of anime in English and/or Japanese" will definitely be one of them. Twisted Evil

PantsGoblin wrote:
tofu

No. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
2Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok so acording to Nanji ( i think that is how is/her name is spelled. If an anime dose not have to have a story line then bugs bunny is an animation. Grant it in a certian sence it is due to the fact it is a animated drawing. But, when people refer to anime they tend to think of shows like Inuyasha or Gundam. Shows that have a continueing story to it. Not a show that has a 30 munite story and that is the end of it and the next episode has nothing to do with the previous one.

If you are looking for a text book ancer then yes, Nanji you area right. All cartoons are considered animes, because they are animated drawings. This is everying from the Smurfs to Ani-Matrix. So why isn't The Smurfs or Stroker and Hoop listed in your collection? For that fact GI Joes and Bugs Bunny?

I'm just asking for you to think about the question from this stand point. The site is called "Anime News Network" and what is listed here is MOSTLY Japanamation. Is there a difference in the 2 yes, I belive there is a difference between American made and Japaneese made cartoons. But, when MOST people refer to anime they are refering to shows that are Japanamation.

So, is Stroker and hoop a animation? Technoqly it is. Is it a Japanamation, no, and prehaps that is the difference.

But, this is just my crazy logic: Shows that have no real story to it other then the one portraied in a 30 munite episode are not animation. Shows that streach over serval episodes to creat a series I consider anime.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Definition of anime in English:

Japanvisitor.com wrote:
a shortened form of the English word 'animation' referring to Japanese cartoons.

teako170.com wrote:
Animated movies produced in Japan.

utv.ee wrote:
Japanese animated cartoon

wikipedia wrote:
Anime (アニメ) is Japanese animation, sometimes billed in the west under the portmanteau Japanimation

Japanimation and Japanese animation also pretty much mean the same thing as anime. Hmm, I really don't need to say anymore. If you still think differently I'm gone.

2Real wrote:
Ok so acording to Nanji...

Who the hell is Nanji? This guy?
2Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
2Real wrote:
at then end of every episode that is the end of the story. there is no continuation from ep to ep. it is that simple. Also, to get further into detail, there is no devlopment in anyway, there is not plot or "final boss" to this show at all. It is more of a cartoon/ animeted short (i don't know if it can be called a short because it only streches for one episode over many episodes), but it is not a real anime.

So, you're saying one of the criteria for a show to be anime is that it "must" have an ongoing storyline? So, you're saying that Lupin III, Gigantor, You're Under Arrest, Golden Boy, and other series that are pretty clearly anime (and even undeniable milestones of the medium, at that), aren't anime at all?

2Real wrote:
If you can't tell by watching the show, sorry to say this, but your not realy watching the show at all. You shouldn't watch anime if you can't grasp it to its fullness. You aprently are not viewing anime as it is men to be viewed (not that anime should be viewed in any way particular, but you HAVE TO KNOW about the happenings of everything, the world and everything in it, to completly understand it in its full potential).

"As it was meant to be viewed?" Dude, it's just cartoons. It's not like anime are some deep, impactful manifestos on the sanctity and development of the human psyche and relative culture. They're cartoons from Japan, each one produced largely with the intent of providing a half-hour-ish of idle enjoyment every week (some including a slightly heavier theme than others, but those still being in the minority). In that way, the vast majority of anime and Stroker & Hoop are a lot alike. There is no "grasping its fullness," because most of it is meant to be taken as mindless diversion, just as Stroker & Hoop is.

There's a dfferent visual style, yes, but anime isn't on some "holier than thou" pedestal above other cartoons, but merely cartoons themselves of a different national origin.

No..this guy, I couldn't rember how to spell his name.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Ok so acording to Nanji ( i think that is how is/her name is spelled. If an anime dose not have to have a story line then bugs bunny is an animation.

Why does a continuing storyline have to be one of the criteria for discerning anime from Western animation? Some Western cartoons have ongoing stories, some anime do not. I fail to see your logic where it "HAS" to have one or the other to be one or the other.

2Real wrote:
Shows that have a continueing story to it. Not a show that has a 30 munite story and that is the end of it and the next episode has nothing to do with the previous one.

When people think anime, they also tend to think of Lupin III and You're Under Arrest, as I just said in my last post. Two unedniable classics of the anime medium, neither one with a definitive, ongoing plotline spanning across their run. Good job ignoring things I brought up previously.

2Real wrote:
If you are looking for a text book ancer then yes, Nanji you area right. All cartoons are considered animes, because they are animated drawings. This is everying from the Smurfs to Ani-Matrix. So why isn't The Smurfs or Stroker and Hoop listed in your collection? For that fact GI Joes and Bugs Bunny?

You see, here you're getting my post confused with someone else's. I never jumped into the "Japanese definition of 'anime' vs. American definition of 'anime'" argument, and never made any such statement.

What I was saying was that anime are a certain type of cartoon—just another lesser classification within the broad spectrum of cartoons as a whole, neither superior nor inferior by default—and that you should get off your high horse about people needing to view them a certain way in order to "properly" appreciate them.

2Real wrote:
Shows that streach over serval episodes to creat a series I consider anime.

Good luck convincing anyone that Lupin & Gigantor aren't anime. I doubt you'll get very far on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Rook wrote:

Japanese Animation
American Animation
Canadian Animation
British Animation

/rant

One, I find the oft-repeated "Anime comes from the French word Anime" link to be somewhat tenuos; because the French word "anime" means "in motion" rather than, in particular, animated.

Secondly, Manga means "whimsical pictures" and differentiates itself by the word "Man" meaning, essentially, trashy, low-grade, lacking in literary qualities. One example of something it differentiates itself is from "Gekiga," a post-war amusement meaning "dramatic pictures."

Thirdly, to the Japanese, all animation is anime. But to the Japanese, the word "Man" means "whimsical" with the implication of immoral, among other things, and not an adult male. To say that a non-Japanese animation is Anime, outside of the general usage of the term to mean "animation, in general" is not only counter-intuitive, but defies common usage of the term in your area. In short, in America, Anime means Japanese animation. If you're in America, and you say Anime, you probably mean Japanese animation. If you're in Japan, and you say Anime, they'll probably think you mean Japanese animation, because you're gaijin scum.

I would say that it's not about clinging desperately to an idea of Japanese animation as a separate entity with a unique name, but rather, it's a unique product, it has a unique name, and this name is used to differentiate it from other products.

This is not to excuse elitism.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="PantsGoblin"]
Isaaru wrote:

Quote:
There is no definition that states a person or people who produce anime must be Japanese.

No, but there is one saying it must be of Japanese origin.

Wictionary wrote:
Noun
anime

Animated works that originated in Japan. Sometimes has a related manga or video game. Voice actors for characters in an anime are called seiyuu for the non-dubbed versions.

Keep trying buddy! That definition does not say "must" and speaks in the past tense. Yes, I think WE ALL CAN AGREE anime originated in Japan!!!!!
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
[quote="PantsGoblin"]Definition of anime in English:]
Quote:

ok...since you went through the trouble..
[quote="Japanvisitor.com"]a shortened form of the English word 'animation' referring to Japanese cartoons.

okay.. so. I am eating Chinese food. It didn't need to be from China. Hell, I think the cook was Korean.

teako170.com wrote:
Animated movies produced in Japan.

so...if South Park was outsourced to Japan and made the same way, its anime by default?

utv.ee wrote:
Japanese animated cartoon

needs to be more specific. They also defined according to the comic book world..
ARTWORK-Original paintings of comic book art. (paintings..eh)
CAPTION-Copy in whitch (sic) someone is talking to the reader. (someone..but WHO)
CREDITS -Text where the authors are listed (because inkers are just TRACERS!).
....hardly a credible source

wikipedia wrote:
Anime (アニメ) is Japanese animation, sometimes billed in the west under the portmanteau Japanimation

ah wikipedia.... We can all agree Anime in the English sense is Japanese animation. Still I can make Italian food, but I am not Italian, Eminem can make urbanized African American music, but he is not urbanized african american, Chuck Norris is a master of the Korean martial arts, Taekwondo, but is not clearly not Korean, need i go on?

Quote:
Japanimation and Japanese animation also pretty much mean the same thing as anime. Hmm, I really don't need to say anymore. If you still think differently I'm gone.

Well, yeah they are, I wont argue with ya there. All anime has to be linked to Japan somehow (that includes inspiration), no matter what person of race makes it. Read my wikipedia response again if you dont get it.

But, If you don't like it when people disagree with you, than ...see ya!!

P.S. heres one to add to your list---HAHA:

Thefreedictionary.com
Quote:
Anime- A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5