• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Anime Babes' Burlesque Show Staged in Los Angeles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
It's all opinions, I thought they was looking alright. Homunculus-lady was an 8, and she could get it anytime.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
I think we may have found a new litmus test for whether fans put their hobby at the level of the sacred. "How comfortable are you with a burlesque performance that uses characters from your favorite medium, genre, or title?"

You are right. Since Burlesque is kind of an antiquated theatre, most people don't know that its purpose is to present raunchy comedy, satirize popular culture, celebrate the grotesque, and provide a jiggle show (the hoochie-coochie dance) all in one package. They could have had one of these shows as a part of Baccano!! -It would have fit right in, since burlesque was all over the place during that period of time in the U.S.

Really, the Sailor Moon "eyes" are probably done intentionally to fit the nature of Burlesque theatre. To those people who found them "hideous" and "grotesque", - yeah, that was done on purpose. It satirizes the subject in a grotesque way.

Also, it is likely that the show itself will heavily lampoon otaku culture and anime in general. The show's writers may be monitoring this thread right now and mining it for comedic material.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
I think we may have found a new litmus test for whether fans put their hobby at the level of the sacred. "How comfortable are you with a burlesque performance that uses characters from your favorite medium, genre, or title?"

Be right back, gonna invite the hoards at 4chan over.....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
This is burlesque, not cosplay. Cosplay tries to mimic the original as much as possible. Burlesque is......... ask your parents. If they do more burlesque in anime cons, then you'd see less of this. Laughing
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
seriously guys, it's time to grow up...and hit a nudie bar.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lust was the only one that fit the purpose, the others were just....wrong, though Sailor Moon nearly had me piss myself laughing. Personally, no matter what costume they wear I find the whole idea of this sort of thing dehumanising toward these women that they have to resort to this to make a living, or to support a drug habit either their own, or someone elses, not much difference, unless it's really true that some enjoy doing this regardless. It would destroy me if it were my daughter up there. So sad.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Lust was the only one that fit the purpose, the others were just....wrong, though Sailor Moon nearly had me piss myself laughing. Personally, no matter what costume they wear I find the whole idea of this sort of thing dehumanising toward these women that they have to resort to this to make a living, or to support a drug habit either their own, or someone elses, not much difference, unless it's really true that some enjoy doing this regardless. It would destroy me if it were my daughter up there. So sad.

What? These women don't do this "for a living". Some of you have an extremely poor understanding of what burlesque is. It's the equivalent of a comedy/variety show with some performance art thrown in. Some of them might be actresses or performers by day, but for many of them this is a hobby and a community.

Once again, burlesque =/= stripping. In many very important ways.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

You sound like a total sexist coming from the position of a guy telling women what to do with their bodies.

As for how they look, I'm sure we've entered fanboy hyperbole territory. You're all dating Playboy bunnies, right?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What? These women don't do this "for a living". Some of you have an extremely poor understanding of what burlesque is. It's the equivalent of a comedy/variety show with some performance art thrown in. Some of them might be actresses or performers by day, but for many of them this is a hobby and a community.

See, that confuses me. I get that there's more to this than stripping but it seems pretty clear from the photos that it also contains a whole lot of stripping. So while they are doing other stuff too they're also stripping for a bunch of strangers. I guess I find it surprising to say the least that most people would want to do that as a hobby.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Harden
Poison Sting
Water Gun
Hydro Pump
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac wrote:

See, that confuses me. I get that there's more to this than stripping but it seems pretty clear from the photos that it also contains a whole lot of stripping. So while they are doing other stuff too they're also stripping for a bunch of strangers. I guess I find it surprising to say the least that most people would want to do that as a hobby.

And what's your point? That people other than you want to do things that you don't want to do? Do you want to feel special that everyone is supposed to meet your expectations for yourself or something? I'm also sensing a lot of unconscious puritan influence in different replies in this thread. There's a reason why doing things like that can be a positive experience for women. Part of it is an act of defiance against people telling them what they can or can not due based on some ancient pseudo-moral nonsense and sexist cultural norms.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
I love it. Silly and campy and fantastic.

The last few posts by tuxedocat, enurtsol, and Zac covered what I originally wanted to say... So instead I'll just say this -- at least a few of these girls are clearly actual fans of anime, or they wouldn't be doing it. You can see the effort put into their acts. They just don't take it as seriously as some fans might, and I think that's nice and healthy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
You're all dating Playboy bunnies, right?

Err, no. I date a 2d character through my computer screen. Close enough though. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You sound like a total sexist coming from the position of a guy telling women what to do with their bodies.

As for how they look, I'm sure we've entered fanboy hyperbole territory. You're all dating Playboy bunnies, right?
And you read, miscomprehend, and over react like someone from 4chan. Wink

Zac wrote:
Just like anime =/= fanservice, I get your point, but stripping has been a main part of burlesque since the 1890's Moulin Rouge, and these women are removing their clothing and maybe stopping where it got too naughty, but we never get to see those photo's so I guess one can just imagine they did, or didn't. It seems there are some women who enjoy removing their clothing in front of a gathering of strange people. It does take all kinds to make a world after all.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And you read, miscomprehend, and over react like someone from 4chan.

Please stop with the pretentious bs. You came into a thread about some women doing burlesque for fun and your only input was about them being whores addicted to drugs and that they shouldn't be allowed to do it because they may have male relatives. I don't really care if you have 400,000 posts here, no one wants to hear your oldman sexist BS. Leave it back in the 1970's when you were probably the same age as those women.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5