• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh Manga Creator Kazuki Takahashi Passes Away at 60

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:58 am Reply with quote
I am only tangentially into YGO at best via my boyfriend being a fan and I used to watch the 4Kids dub. But this has hit more than I thought it would, perhaps because I knew someone who died in similar circumstances (a fellow Trade Union rep who I didn't know well but respected). Never snorkle alone.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:58 am Reply with quote
Oh my god... Another legend gone in a tragic way. Rest in peace Takahashi-sensei.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
A true tragedy. I have so many fond memories of watching and playing Yu-gi-oh when I was younger.

RIP, Takahashi-sensei
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
RIP. This [expletive] sucks..
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Stabman wrote:
This is giving me flashbacks of Shin-chan's author's death where he accidently died while hiking alone in the mountains.

Same thing I was thinking, dear lord, neither that or being eaten by a shark is no way to go. RIP, and I just got back to playing Yu-Gi-Oh less than 5 years ago. Hopefully it can still stay around, because Rush Dueling is getting pretty good.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:27 am Reply with quote
My full condolences to the loss of Kazuki Takahashi for making Yu-Gi-Oh! a top gaming phenomenon in Japan. I was also interested in his art style the day I saw a music CD at my local import store that had a picture of Atem on the cover holding the Millennium Puzzle. The 4Kids dub had nothing to do with it.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Oh god, as if Miura's death wasn't enough. Who's next? Morikawa? The Yudetamago duo? Satoshi Tajiri? I'd like to see 4Kid$ try and say that Takahashi was "banished to the Shadow Realm." May this man rest in peace.

Except that 4Kids went out of business a long time ago.
Azure1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
I've watched Yugioh enough that at this point it has to be in my top 3 anime. It was and has remained an important part of my life. I can't even begin to process this... May he rest in peace and know he was loved.
demberc01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 am Reply with quote
Many had saddened about his death but there's something i noticed about the company makes the card game so famous until now KONAMI why did not put a statement or else on their website, twitter etc. also some regions to like Korea, US etc. (or there's a chance that tomorrow they will do it)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:20 am Reply with quote
Oh wow... such sad news. x.x Like many kids in the early 2000s, Yu-Gi-Oh! was one of THE games to play and one of THE shows to watch. I was one of those girls that had a "crush" on Yami Yugi/Atem, and I had images of him taped up to all of my notebooks and stuff. Then imagine my excitement when Dark Magician Girl was introduced, which then led to many squeals and trying to get my hands on as many versions of her card as I could for my deck and for collecting (and eventually figures and clothing). I also enjoyed reading the manga as chapters got published in Shonen Jump, and while I never collected it myself, I rented volumes from the library frequently. I fell out of the craze by the time I finished up high school, but I still look back upon those times fondly and how much I loved the series through its ups and downs.

RIP Kazuki Takahashi... you're going to be so sorely missed. T.T
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 am Reply with quote
I may not have been into card games, heck I ene gave YU-GI-OH the first anime a shot this year to see if I get into it...who woulda thought the same year and time we would lose this legend.

You didn't have to be a weeb or interested in anime to even watch and/or play YU-GI-OH, it was a icon of its time. So lets us fellow lovers commence here for the remembrance of a legend. Not only in the manga area, not only in Japan...but the WORLD!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
Oh god, as if Miura's death wasn't enough. Who's next? Morikawa? The Yudetamago duo? Satoshi Tajiri? I'd like to see 4Kid$ try and say that Takahashi was "banished to the Shadow Realm." May this man rest in peace.

Except that 4Kids went out of business a long time ago.

I was just saying that as a joke about how Yu-Gi-Oh was one of the only remaining properties they had left before they went belly-up, and their increasingly stupid censorship. "Dark energy disks?" God, they should've went bankrupt a lot sooner.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
This is awful, not to mention shocking. Yu-Gi-Oh! was very popular when I was in elementary and middle school, and some of my classmates were playing the game whenever recess or snack/lunch breaks occurred.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
If you haven't seen the anime, it's still streaming @ https://www.crunchyroll.com/yu-gi-oh . BTW, did a Google, and the story made the NYT, Newsweek, and even Rolling Stone! Also, statement from @Yugiohtas: https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1545075468386193413?s=20&t=khUiQzvWSIn7lnjyekkNBw
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, leaving all these "What-a"-isms aside, that's a really terrible way to die, for sure. While I didn't like the animated series so much, I do love to play the card game, and precisely, I was playing YGO Master Duel yesterday tonight.

I hope he can rest in peace...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6