• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Anime Babes' Burlesque Show Staged in Los Angeles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
You people are nuts - this is awesome. As a lover a burlesque, and creative cosplay, I'm hoping they come to Boston as some point. They'll have me giggling like there's no tomorrow. Boston would welcome them with open arms since they have a fantastic Burlesque scene.

The Pikachu is my favorite I think. Loved the uses of pokeballs.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
It was pretty funny. If intended to be sexually appealing, then a major fail because their performers were too old to be a babe.
Favorites: Pokeball tits, and Sailor Moon Eyes. The Rei cosplay was just awful in a funny way. Laughing
Satiety

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
That was kinda interesting... Lust caught my attention as a regular character while the others were pretty..."unique" in their own sense of way. Sailor Moon's eyes were "lol" out there
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It was pretty funny. If intended to be sexually appealing, then a major fail because their performers were too old to be a babe.
Favorites: Pokeball tits, and Sailor Moon Eyes. The Rei cosplay was just awful in a funny way. Laughing

Part of the point of burlesque is that it is not just a strip show, but a comedy act with actual sketches. You may complain about the women being "old", but these are not the regular sad, college-age strippers you see in most sex clubs. These women actually have to deliver lines and be funny.

Plus, the clubs they perform in usually serve alchohol, so the age restriction to get in is 21, not the median age of your usual con attendee.
wizardz199

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
No thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually agree with a lot of what Zac usually has to say, but he's got a point when he says that if you can't be civil, then he will lock this thread!

On another note, I'm a subscriber to a nude modelling cosplay site where a lot of the females who pose there are good enough to do burlesque; in fact, I believe one or two of them actually do burlesque themselves.

Also, to all the trolls complaining, please kindly go back to the dark, dank caves that you came from (in other words, your parents' basements) and let decent conversation take place.

Personally, I think the women that took part in this burlesque show are quite sexy (especially the Rei and Ichigo performers), and anyone who thinks otherwise should need a new pair of glasses if they're not wearing any already.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Fory-san wrote:
As someone who knows one of the girls involved I just shake my head at all the possible fat asses making comments here tonight. I'd like to see some of you people drag your sad otaku carcasses up on the stages. Confused
So your response to disparaging comments on the Internet was to post disparaging comments in response. Hypocrite.

Also, if you know one of the women, why not tell us some positive trait of hers that you think we're not getting from the pictures? Is she a great dancer? Is she a loving mom? Is she an actual anime fan? Is she a charity worker on weekends?

All we've got to respond to are pictures of women taking their clothes off, said clothes being cosplay ranging from decent to kinda bad, in my opinion. If there's something beyond what can be seen in these pictures you'd like to share, then share it.

poisondusk wrote:
The negative comments here about the women's looks are depressingly predictable. I'm pretty sure performing well in a burlesque show takes more than a good rating on the 'hotness scale' (which is a silly concept to me anyway).
Of course there's more to this than looking good. However, these are still shots we have a link to. Rather hard to judge the act for anything but visual appeal without movement and audio.

Also, as part of the job is taking the clothes off, I think looking good would be at least a slight factor in the hiring process. People have eyes for a reason.

Beryl7 wrote:
I thought it was a really cool idea. Who cares how "old" they are? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, people. Plus they were just having fun. Let. it. be.
Your comment is one of the most positive. You seem to have missed something though: if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are you upset by the comments of beholders? (And why do people care what beholders think anyway? They're creepy.) Wink

No one's opinion is going to change what these women look like. If you think they're better looking than others posting think they are, then point out why. Express your own opinion.

tuxedocat wrote:
Part of the point of burlesque is that it is not just a strip show, but a comedy act with actual sketches. You may complain about the women being "old", but these are not the regular sad, college-age strippers you see in most sex clubs. These women actually have to deliver lines and be funny.
These are still pictures. I'd love to judge their comedy act or sketches but it's a bit difficult to do that from still pictures.

The linked article gives very little descripition of the routines. It overall describes them as "camp" with bits of more serious fair, mainly the Lust and Rei segments. Going by the vague information in that article, those would have been my perfered acts, but I already complimented them. (Though I think I neglected to bring up how impressed I was by the Rei performer using red contacts.)

And you're disparaging college-age strippers? How is working to support themselves in getting a better education so they don't have to keep using their bodies to make money "sad?" Strippers can make a lot of money and if those girls use that money to get an education and a more personally preferable job, that seems rather happy to me.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
Also, to all the trolls complaining, please kindly go back to the dark, dank caves that you came from (in other words, your parents' basements) and let decent conversation take place.
Insults: because stereotyping people you disagree with is a perfectly civil debate tactic. Rolling Eyes

BorgmanJayce wrote:
Personally, I think the women that took part in this burlesque show are quite sexy (especially the Rei and Ichigo performers), and anyone who thinks otherwise should need a new pair of glasses if they're not wearing any already.
Here is, after the long line of response comments, a clear compliment without any restraint. Sure you coupled it with another minor insult but at least you actually expressed your opinion.

Has it occured to some of the people who posted in response to the negative comments about the women's appearances that few of you actually COMPLIMENTED any of the performers? You brought up other things that might matter, you made your own disparaging comments about the posters but how many of you directly and expressly stated a positive opinion about these women? Despite the fact you were responding to negative comments about their appearances and ages, you failed to express a positive opinion about the subject.
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
i thought this was odd.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Your comment is one of the most positive. You seem to have missed something though: if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are you upset by the comments of beholders? (And why do people care what beholders think anyway? They're creepy.) Wink

No one's opinion is going to change what these women look like. If you think they're better looking than others posting think they are, then point out why. Express your own opinion.

Well I was just simply trying to stick up for the performers. I thought people were being unnecessarily rude and unfair. Like they say, "if you can't say something nice..." But I forgot--this is the internet...
poisondusk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Has it occured to some of the people who posted in response to the negative comments about the women's appearances that few of you actually COMPLIMENTED any of the performers?

I tried to keep my comment generally neutral on the burlesque itself (I think the costumes were awkward and some of the characters were poorly chosen, but I don't have any particular objection to the idea of an anime-themed burlesque show).

I didn't post my opinion of what the women look like because I don't really feel that whether I personally find them hot or not is relevant to anything. I mean, should those women feel better because hey, at least I, a random internet user, don't think they're ugly? I'd feel little better than those posting disparaging comments about these women if I ended up in a back-and-forth over how attractive they are, which is subjective anyway. I realise it happens all over the internet and offline as well, but I find discussions like that tacky, and I don't see any reason to criticise a person's looks because I don't personally find them appealing.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
yeahno

Not gonna say anything about the girls themselves but man those costumes are just...bad. They're not even well made or anything. You see better-made costumes that look more like the characters on your average con day.
I dont expect 100% character accuracy from a Burleque show, but I do expect the costumes themselves to at least look good.

also that sailor moon is going to give me nightmares...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
These are still pictures. I'd love to judge their comedy act or sketches but it's a bit difficult to do that from still pictures.

The linked article gives very little descripition of the routines. It overall describes them as "camp" with bits of more serious fair, mainly the Lust and Rei segments. Going by the vague information in that article, those would have been my perfered acts, but I already complimented them. (Though I think I neglected to bring up how impressed I was by the Rei performer using red contacts.)

And you're disparaging college-age strippers? How is working to support themselves in getting a better education so they don't have to keep using their bodies to make money "sad?" Strippers can make a lot of money and if those girls use that money to get an education and a more personally preferable job, that seems rather happy to me.

*facepalm* I meant "sad" as in "sad to have to take off her clothes in front of creepy men to pay for school." puhleez.

Those girls in the strip shop that you frequent only appear "happy" to you because you are their mark. They will spin you a happy story for tips. I went to school with a few of them. They are not happy.

Good nerd-ragin' though. Rolling Eyes
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat, I don't think he meant that they were happy doing it; just that it is good that they're at least trying to get ahead so they won't have to spend the rest of their lives stripping.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. whatev. Nice of him to condescend...
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I think we may have found a new litmus test for whether fans put their hobby at the level of the sacred. "How comfortable are you with a burlesque performance that uses characters from your favorite medium, genre, or title?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5