• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
Humans vs. Machines The Animatrix
Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome, Macross Frontier
Guts vs. Griffith Berserk
Mugen vs. Jin, Samurai Champloo
Sanada Yukimura vs. Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara
Olliff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Vote for:

Light vs L, Death Note
Shizuo vs Izaya, Durararara
Yang Wenli vs Reinhard, LOGH
Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai, School Rumble
Lelouch vs. Suzaku, Code Geass
Princess Tutu vs. Princess Krahe, Princess Tutu

Bit late to the party, and I am bit shocked we are having trouble coming with 128 nominations. Give it another week, and we should be fine.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, since most of the characters I'd really like to see in the tournament are already in and the nominations phase is almost over...I'll just go ahead and propose a new write-up for this rivalry, in accordance with one of my earlier comments.

Key is, of course, free to pick and choose whatever (if any) parts he finds more or less useful for the purposes of the contest.

Lelouch Lamperouge and Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass
Type of Conflict: Friends on the opposite sides of war, ideological rivals
What It's About: After Japan was invaded by Britannia, events led two close friends down opposing paths. Lelouch was initially motivated by a personal vendetta against the Britannian Emperor, his own father, but also truly believed that noble ends justified the use of underhanded means in the midst of fighting an authoritarian empire. He was willing to stain his hands with the blood of his own family and accept the resulting guilt if that meant bringing a better world into existence for the sake of both the weak in general and his crippled sister in particular. As the mysterious and audacious Zero, he became the cynical mastermind of a rebellion against the invader and commanded the Black Knights in a struggle that regularly slipped into morally questionable territory but nevertheless gave the masses a new sense of hope that previous terrorist or resistance groups had failed to provide. On the other hand, the fallout of the invasion and his own role in shaping the course of events led Suzaku to the conclusion that working from inside the Britannian system was the only possible way to enact lasting change and avoid further bloodshed. As the pilot of Lancelot, a special mecha, he attempted to balance his desire to carry out heroic acts with the need to follow orders as a soldier for the sake of rising through the ranks and gaining the necessary influence, even if this meant opposing any expressions of resistance coming from his fellow Japanese or his closest friend.
Why They Should Win: Usually this type of rivalry would be presented from the perspective of Suzaku, who superficially resembles the strong mecha hero engaged in a straightforward fight for justice, while Lelouch would be limited to being the misguided antagonist who must be defeated because he isn't above lying and killing people. But neither of them is quite as squeaky-clean nor as irredeemably evil as that sounds and their precise situation is relatively unusual. The conflict goes all the way from emotional and interpersonal drama to philosophical and ideological opposition. In fact, this contrast is also reflected in their roles, personalities and abilities, all of which are strikingly different, and their rare moments of honest cooperation never truly eliminate the tensions involved. What's more, both of their basic approaches can be defended as necessary or at least understandable, depending on the viewer's own ideas and sympathies.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson Hellsing awesome pic
Type of Conflict: enemies
What it's All About: Alucard is a vampire, a very old and powerful one working for Hellsing, an organization dedicated to eliminating rogue vampires. Alexander Anderson is a warrior priest who works for the Vatican, also dedicated to fighting the undead, but unlike Hellsing Alexander frankly doesn't care if the vampire is 'good' or just wants to be left alone. He is after all the undead no matter their affiliations, and the fact that Alucard is out actively looking for a worthwhile fight sets them up for an epic, last-one-standing battle.
Why they Should Win: Both parties want to prove their superiority in a battle to the death, and in doing so be representatives for their races. A classic 'demonstrate your skills' rivalry takes a turn for the epic here in this rivalry between an ancient vampire and a regenerating priest.

Speed Racer vs. Racer X(The Masked Racer) Speed Racer pic
Type of Conflict: competitive
What it's All About: Speed Racer comes from a family of racers and loves racing and wants nothing more than to be the best out there. But the mysterious Racer X proves time and again his impressive skills, and even though Racer X usually comes in second, it is obvious that he is the better racer of the two. Both dream to be the best racer, but only one can take that title.
Why they Should Win: The mysterious Racer X often comes in 2nd behind Speed Racer because he protects Speed from other racers trying to run him off the track. Wondering just who this masked racer is adds a twist to their rivalry that most don't have.

Strike Witches vs. Neuroi Strike Witches pic
Key Members of Strike Witches: Yoshika Miyafuji, Mio Sakamoto, Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke, Lynette Bishop, Perrine Clostermann, Erica Hartmann, Gertrud Barkhorn, Francesca Lucchini, Charlotte Yeager, Eila Juutilainen, and Sanya Litvyak.
Type of Conflict: survival, enemies
What it's All About: One day in an alternate 1930's Earth, the world was attacked by an alien species known as the Neuroi. It isn't known why they attacked or what their purpose is, but their weapons are extremely damaging, even destroying most of Asia. The only thing that can do significant damage are the Striker Units, made up of young witches combining their magic and technology to gain the ability to fly and use powerful weapons.
Why they Should Win: This is a battle for survival, a 'me or them' war between all humans of earth and a very intelligent but mysterious alien race. You know a war just got serious when all nations of the world are willing to put aside their stubbornness and differences to join together and fight.

Hey Key, I don't know how far we are from 128 candidates, but I don't think we're that far away. If we extend the nominations by even 1 day, I think we could make that number. My last day of finals was today so I can really let loose with the nominating now, and I have lots of pairs in mind.

Last edited by Tris8 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Otaru's Marionettes vs Faust's Saber Dolls, Saber Marionette J pic (only missing Faust)
Marionette Team: Otaru Mamiya, Cherry, Lime, Bloodberry
Saber Doll Team: Gelhardt von Faust, Tiger, Luchs, Panther
Type of Conflict: Adversarial
What It's All About: Gelhardt von Faust is the dictator of the military nation Gartland and is driven in his goals to take over the planet, Terra II. Assisted by his Saber Dolls, the four normally come at odds with Otaru and his Marionettes throughout Saber Marionette J as the young Japoness boy and his three robotic girls prove able to regularly thwart the mad Gartland dictator's plans.
Why They Should Win: While the conflict is standard between the two teams, the treatment that Otaru and Faust give their robotic companions serves as a major contrast between their characters. Otaru treats the marionettes kindly and accepts them as a surrogate family and human companions thus allowing the three to better understand the joys and hardships of having human emotions. Meanwhile, Faust's obsession of taking over Terra II blinds him from giving any positive attention to the Saber Dolls as he regards them as nothing but tools and normally verbally and physically abuses them when they fail at any mission he assigns them, thus having a negative effect on the growth of the three robot girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson Hellsing

Eva Pilots vs. Angels Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise

Thanks for the write up for that one Tris8!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
I am really behind on processing things and expect to be awfully busy the next couple of days, so I am extending the deadline for nominations and voting to the end of Monday (at least).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Gai Shishioh vs. Pizza/Soldat-J GaoGaiGar pic
Type of Conflict: enemies, survival
What it's All About: A race of alien monsters called Zonders have started attacking Tokyo, and the only thing capable of fighting back is an agency called GGG, their greatest weapon being GaoGaiGar, a robot made of Galeon and piloted by the cyborg Gai Shishioh. Pizza is a Zonderian and one of the Four Machine Kings, and so is one of the only aliens that can match GaoGaiGar's power.
Why they Should Win: Two super robots duking it out for the fate of the planet is always a pleasure to watch, and with the mysteries of the Zonders and how Galeon fits in with some of the other characters factored in, this is a fierce rivalry.

Dark Mousy vs. Krad D.N.Angel pic
Type of Conflict: enemies, ideological
What it's All About: In Daisuke Niwa's family, the oldest male of direct descent is host to an entity called Dark Mousy. Dark is a suave art thief who steals works that are cursed and dangerous, and with the help of the Niwa family seals them away. Krad is Dark's other half, also inhabiting a young boy(Satoshi Hiwatari), but unlike Dark he has no regard for his host and wants the cursed artwork to give power to himself.
Why they Should Win: What really makes this rivalry interesting is that the two hosts of Dark and Krad are friends, or at the least they try to be. It definitely puts a strain on your friendship when a different person suddenly takes over your friend's body and then tries to kill you.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Seconding

Dark Mousy vs. Krad
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Shiki Ryougi vs Souren Araya, Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners franchise pic
Type of Conflict: Adversarial
What It's All About: Shiki is a young woman who comes at odds with a number of individuals who were influenced by traveling monk Araya throughout Kara no Kyoukai. Araya is revealed as the primary antagonist in the fifth movie of the series, Paradox Spiral, where he has taken an apartment complex as his testing grounds for a twisted experiment after manipulating the tenants to kill one another. Araya desires to use Shiki as part of his plans and she doesn't plan on letting the monk live.
Why They Should Win: Araya is indirectly responsible for driving the spree of murders committed by the various antagonists that Shiki confronts throughout Kara no Kyoukai. He also proves to be quite the challenging foe for Shiki to contend with, making for some impressive fight scenes with the two in Paradox Spiral.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Nomination:

Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchi clan - Summer Wars -Good pic but needs to be made into a jpg - Good pic but needs to be sized down - good representative "battle" pic but only includes Kazuma (if anyone would like to fix the problems of the first two I'll put the new link in)
Key Members of Jinnouchi clan: Kenji Koiso, Natsuki Shinohara, Sakae Jinnouchi, Kazuma Ikezawa/King Kazuma, Mansuke Jinnouchi, Wabisuke Jinnouchi and about two dozen other family members.
Type of Conflict: enemies
What it's All About: Love Machine is an Artificial Intelligence released into the internet by Wabisuke on the behalf of the US Department of Defense with orders to take control of and disrupt a worldwide social network called OZ in order to verify its worth. OZ goes out of control and uses OZ's connections to the infrastructure of Japan and other world powers to put the world in peril. The Junnouchi Clan end up being the only ones with the presence of mind, connections, talent and determination to take on the world threat. Whether by mathematics wizardry, real world connections with vital services, essential resources or computer fighting and even board game skills Kenji and the Jinnouchi clan continue to battle Love Machine while others are still trying to figure out what's happening. Conversely, Love Machine's weakness is its inability to turn down a challenge and so it continues to accept the gaming challenges brought to it by the Jinnouchi clan, acknowledging them as worthy adversaries.
Why they Should Win: Not only is this a struggle to rid the world of a computerized menace it is a testament to the power of family and the necessity of taking responsibility for ones actions. Love Machine has no conscience, it takes those that are willing to take on the responsibility of protecting everyone, not just themselves, to defeat it.

VOTING FOR:
Nanoha Takamichi vs. Vita
Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru
Zed vs. Noa
Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai
Kenichi Shirahama vs. Ragnarok
Sailor Scouts vs. Queen Beryl
Yuri Nakamura vs. “Tenshi”/Kanade Tachibana
Nagi vs. Zange
Mugen vs. Jin
Sanada Yukimura vs. Date Masamune
Speed Racer vs. Racer X
Strike Witches vs. Neuroi
Gai Shishioh vs. Pizza/Soldat-J
Shiki Ryougi vs Souren Araya

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:

Dark Mousy vs. Krad

Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchi clan
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks, Tris8 and Dorcas!

Voting For:
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk
Sanada Yukimura vs. Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara
Alucard vs. Alexander, Anderson, Hellsing
Gai Shishioh vs. Pizza/Soldat-J, GaoGaiGar pic 1, pic 2
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
Nagi v. Zange, Kannagi
Otaru's Marionettes v. Faust's Saber Dolls, Saber Marionette J
Shiki Ryougi v. Souren Araya, Garden of Sinners
Harima Kenji v. Hanai Haruki, School Rumble
Yuri Nakamura v. Kanade Tachibana, Angel Beats
Ikuto Tsukiyomi v. Tadase Hotori, Shugo Chara
Nabuca v. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There

Voting Against
Eva Pilots v. Angels, Evangelion: The angels consists of things like a giant monomolecular tetrahedron, an organic spider walker, a whale, a space blob, and a computer virus. Tabris is the only one that communicates with humans and shows signs of actually having thoughts that can be compared to the idea of rivalry, competition, etc. Nor do the humans attribute such thoughts to the angels. Nor is there any implication that the angels are a group other than that the humans designate them as such.

Speed Racer v. Racer X, Speed Racer: Withdrawn

Last edited by Raftina on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Key, how set are you on the no one-sided rivalries thing? Because I kind of want to support Makoto vs Jinnai, but that's even more one-sided than Tenma vs Johan, and I'd like to try to remain consistent in my voting criteria, so I'd either vote against the El Hazard pair, or remove my negative vote on the Monster pair and add a vote for El Hazard pair.

Tris8 wrote:
Hey Key, I don't know how far we are from 128 candidates, but I don't think we're that far away. If we extend the nominations by even 1 day, I think we could make that number. My last day of finals was today so I can really let loose with the nominating now, and I have lots of pairs in mind.

If my count is correct, we're up to 93 nominations with a score of more than 1, and 101 with a score of at least 1 (with another 6 at 0.9).

I recall Key mentioning early on that he was planning on doing one for Ichigo vs Renji, and I'd vote for that, as well as an Ichigo vs Byakuya nomination. I could probably come up with a few more myself if I scan through my anime list and try to remember some shows I haven't seen in a while.

Supporting
Love Machine vs Kenji & the Jinnouchis, Summer Wars
Alucard vs Alexander Anderson, Hellsing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20