• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh Manga Creator Kazuki Takahashi Passes Away at 60

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterdragon884

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
I can’t believe it. Will this mean no more new series?
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:04 am Reply with quote
Like a knife to the f*king heart.

Omigod. I mean, that’s my childhood. Literally, my life was only Pokémon from like 7 until Yu-Gi-Oh! came about when I was 9 until as long as I can remember, it was just those two. I don’t play the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG anymore, but I still have all of my cards, every tankoban, I just watched Millennium World again maybe a couple of months ago.

Waterdragon884 wrote:
I can’t believe it. Will this mean no more new series?

I sure hope so. I fell off from it when GX ended almost 15 years ago now. All these new series that have nothing to do with the original series, even the card game barely looks like what it originally did.
VioletCherry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:18 am Reply with quote
My heart goes out to his family. Yu-Gi-Oh! was a huge part of my childhood. The manga was amazing. Still one if my all time favorite series. Rest in piece.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:25 am Reply with quote
Far, far too young. May his memory be a blessing. His manga was one of the first that I read and I have many fond memories of the series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:32 am Reply with quote
Was disappointed by that Marvel crossover, but only :cus it's Marvel. Otherwise, that guy was a genius. R.I.P.
Regalli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:44 am Reply with quote
Oof, this one hurts, and it doesn’t help that I have Mia Ikumi’s death on my mind from the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot’s release this week. Just tragic.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
This is just awful. My deepest condolences to his loved ones and family. The Yu-Gi-Oh card game brought me many joyful hours on the school ground and the show, as silly and trashy as it was, has given us two of the most recognizable and fun to watch rivals in all of anime with Yugi and Kaiba. Even to this day I occasionally pick up a new Struckture Deck here and there to play with my friends. Thank you for that Takahashi-san. A shame he had to leave us like this. RIP.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:11 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Drowning to death on the vacation, without anyone nearby to support you during the diving which most likely saved his life, feels like a really crap end.

RIP and condolences to the family of Takahashi-sensei.

between this and Shin-chan's creator dying in a mountain hike,I guess it doesn't pay off for a mangaka doing dangerous activites alone...
And apparently his death was awful and agonizing too,that's sad...
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:14 am Reply with quote
This is awful. Rest in Peace. I've been back into the TCG(albeit older formats) for almost two years now, and have been collecting a lot of older OCG cards and guidebooks. YuGiOh was pretty formative for me as a teen, both the card game and also the themes of friendship and courage Takahashi poured into the manga. I'm not sure how much of an influence he's had on the franchise aside from the original series and the 2017 film, but this is still a major loss. Crying or Very sad
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
Oh god, as if Miura's death wasn't enough. Who's next? Morikawa? The Yudetamago duo? Satoshi Tajiri? I'd like to see 4Kid$ try and say that Takahashi was "banished to the Shadow Realm." May this man rest in peace.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
What a tragedy, I have so many fond childhood memories that can be credited to him and his work. Even now his art and characters are still so memorable and influential.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:44 am Reply with quote
Attention dueli.... these are some sad news. Hope he can rest in peace. Playing Yugioh was almost as insane as doing the Jojo poses because of how fun were doing all those movements and yells involving card games. Still, Yugioh started more like a horror manga rather than the cardgame with Yami Yugi being portrayed as scary as heck. What I never understood is that if Takahashi provided help with the spinoffs liked GX or 5D. The former had one of the funniest English dubs I've ever seen as a result of the liberties they took with the script.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am Reply with quote
I've never liked Yu-Gi-Oh, not even a little bit (well maybe a tiny bit, I did like the early stuff that came before the card game), but I'm not a monster. I recognize it as a phenomenon and part of the childhood of many people today. The man might have been a genius to be able to change a death game story into a highly marketable card game, I have to respect that. He'll certainly be missed and mourned by many.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
This really is sad news. I wasn't into Yu-Gi-Oh as much as Pokemon or DBZ while growing up, but I had friends who loved it and I still casually enjoyed the manga and the anime. RIP, Mr. Takahashi.
Stabman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:53 am Reply with quote
This is giving me flashbacks of Shin-chan's author's death where he accidently died while hiking alone in the mountains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6