• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Updates Haruhi Suzumiya Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
BEUSA: Hey, do you guys like having 8 episodes of 14 be the exact same thing, and spend large amounts of money on it?!

No kidding, endless eight was 57% of the show. Yes we know the otaku are idiots and still bought it regardless, but we are not they. Just because it's Haruhi doesn't mean it's going to be worth trying to sell to an audience who will refuse to buy it. Get on bringing over Disappearance faster instead, this is a waste of time, energy, and money.

I mean, wasn't Haruhi season 1 already considered a kind of failure because it did well below their expectations?
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get on bringing over Disappearance faster instead, this is a waste of time, energy, and money.

There's a good chance that the rights-holders wouldn't let Bandai have the film unless they released all of the TV episodes too.

I thought that this year's Haruhi episodes were supplements to the first season, not a second season proper, and that's why basically nothing happened in them. All this unbridled hatred towards the show is giving me "End of Evangelion" flashbacks: Woe upon the creative teams that play around instead of giving the fans exactly what they want!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about, I'm very curious as to how they're going to handle the release. I'm not sure I like the idea of releasing seasons one and two together because I already own all the LE's for season one and I don't like the idea of paying for a season I already have just to get the second one. But, as I've heard online, it's better to watch the show with the second batch of episodes thrown in and I wouldn't want to keep switching out DVDs to do so.

I'm very curious indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I really hope Bandai dubs it. If they do, they could just have the first and last episode as a normal dub, and and have the other six of the endless eight saga as a gag dub, (like the ghost stories dub)

The original endless eight in Japanese was almost a gag dub in some places (Though I acknowledge not in the same way you're meaning). While some of the episodes the voices were done seriously, there were some parts that were obviously the voice actors having some fun. I think if the dub (if there is one) stays in the spirit of this it would still be entertaining.

I'm really glad to see something's happening, though. It was looking for a while like they might not even bother with Haruhi S2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Eight nearly identical episodes doesn't sound like the series would generate much revenue. Once one has seen the first episode, you've basically the remaining seven.

I would've done it in three episodes. Have the first one and the final one, and one at random from the middle. And the activities shown should've been different each time.

Now, what truly amazes me is that all the episodes had different angles for every scene, and characters wore different clothes every time. They didn't recycle animation at all.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, this development probably makes the movie a lock, so that's good.

I actually haven't viewed Endless Eight yet because of the negative hype, which I'll be interested to judge for myself. Ideally season 2 would be released in one set at a collection price, although recent marketing (Gundam 00 and Geass season 2, the Kurokami situation) is admittedly not encouraging. But hey, we'll see.
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so it looks like season 2 is likely to see an American release after all. Considering the backlash caused by Endless Eight it would probably be best to anticipate much less interest in the release of season 2. It might in fact be advisable to release it sub-only, or to simply not dub the Endless Eight episodes. In any event I expect this will almost certainly be a full season set, as it would be kinda dumb to release Endless Eight seperately from the rest of the season.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I mean, wasn't Haruhi season 1 already considered a kind of failure because it did well below their expectations?

The first Bandai entertainment DVD volume of Haruhi season 1 was one of the few R1 DVDs of which Vidscan numbers leaked out IIRC. It was mentioned by Chris MacDonald somewhere in the massive "Open letter to the industry" thread from about 2 years ago. I'm not about to go looking through that huge thread for the specific post, but I seem to recall approx. 20.000 to 25.000 copies of the first volume were sold in the first two and a half months of it's release (which would normally account for over 90% of sales, though Haruhi being a well-known series with continuing popularity it might be a lesser percentage).
Those numbers are very good by R1 standards (many releases fail to sell 5000 copies nowadays), but Bandai had been expecting to sell far more than that. I believe Bandai mentioned prior to the release that they had produced "only" 20.000 copies of the limited edition, advising customers to preorder quickly, which suggests they were expecting to sell at least as many again of the regular edition. The actual number of DVDs sold would have been disappointing, but is of course still far more than the majority of series manage.

Last edited by Macron One on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
What's so great about R1 releases is that we won't have to suffer through 4 volumes of Endless Eight like R2s. Just 2 probably. The dent in the pocket is not as great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Eight nearly identical episodes doesn't sound like the series would generate much revenue. Once one has seen the first episode, you've basically the remaining seven.

I would've done it in three episodes. Have the first one and the final one, and one at random from the middle. And the activities shown should've been different each time.

Now, what truly amazes me is that all the episodes had different angles for every scene, and characters wore different clothes every time. They didn't recycle animation at all.

Maybe not, but other processes and steps were already finished. It's not commendable at all.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Alot of people seem to think that it's a bad idea for this to get licensed because of the whole Endless Eight thing. Yet they seem to forget that there was more to the 2nd season then Endless Eight(not much more but you get the point)

Depending on how they release it here I won't care. If they do a full season set like Funi has been doing with 12 episode shows I won't mind.

They could also do singles and then put Endless Eight on a single disc so fans will really only be buying it once. Either way I'm glad it's getting licensed and I hope the movie is licensed as well.
Zipper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure there are gonna be lots of obsessed fanboys who will waste their money on this regardless.

I'm not a huge fan of the show but I thought it was good enough to swipe off eBay for cheap. They really screwed up with the second season though, and considering it's only like 6 episodes of new material, Bandai would be smart to release this show in one boxset at the price of ONE volume since that's basically all you're getting anyway. That's the only logical thing to do. And Kadokawa would be wise to license this season to Bandai at a low fee.

Yeesh, what a dumb gimmick. Yeah it got people talking but the only people who are sure to buy this are obsessed fanboys. Even former obsessed fanboys have been turned off by this and aren't likely to buy it.

I'm glad I was never a fanboy of this show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Still taking the piss, I see. Rolling Eyes Why did the 8th Chicken cross the road? Cause on the other side was Tennessee. Wink
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Why do people support this crap?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I won't be buying this. I guess the episodes that consisted of Sighs were sort of fun but I didn't enjoy the 2nd series enough to spend the money on it this time around.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited. I don't mind singles but I do want the dub- even though I couldn't stop watching the episodes.

I'm super excited! They picked it up faster than I expected. I wish the movie was released simultaneously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6