• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
Justin must have felt very fortunate to have watched two movies in a row he genuinely liked; I know I would. Eva 2.0 goes without saying, but here's hoping for a future license of Summer Wars, considering how great The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was.
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
I imagine companies in the US are currently in the process of trying to get it licensed, I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. Of course who knows how long that would take to get sorted out. I know companies are going after it in the UK right now.

Seen the movie twice now and thorougly enjoyed it. First time I watched it on my own, 2nd time was with friends. Unfortunately not all of them enjoyed it quite as much as I did.

I suppose something that might be a testament to how much I enjoyed it was the fact that during the 'finale' spoiler[ The Hanafuda game vs the Love Machine, I still found myself getting emotional over it even though I have absolutely no idea how to play.]

That might not be worthy of a spoiler tag, but don't want to spoil that bit.

Also I suppose there was the fact that going into the movie I really did not know/ expect there to be so much stuff actually done in OZ, and didn't expect the action sequences, because that bit had mostly been hidden by the early trailers.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Justin must have felt very fortunate to have watched two movies in a row he genuinely liked; I know I would.

And how. That trip was amazing for many reasons.

Amusingly, the screening for this was in an auditorium that hadn't had the A/C turned on yet (it was 9 in the morning), so it was roasting and smelled of mildew. It takes a great film to make you forget about both of those things (and let's face it, the heat probably helped the mood).

Hosoda told me later that the film HAS been licensed in the US market for a 2010 release, but he didn't know by whom.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Great review. I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. I enjoy seeing intriguing stuff like this. I enjoyed 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time'. Which did get a release here. So really looking to see this movie get a release here. It's always good to see features like these that come out of Japan. Hopefully it will inspire more creative blood (artists/directors, etc...).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I was sold purely on the strength of the summary - the review itself was just icing on the cake. This sounds like a complete Must See.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Hosoda told me later that the film HAS been licensed in the US market for a 2010 release, but he didn't know by whom.

Ohh, goody. My money's on Bandai, since they released The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Speaking of which, how did that do in R1 sales (quite well I guess if Summer Wars has already been licensed..)?
bendomolena

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
I wish some group would sub this already. The raw is already out >___>
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:
I wish some group would sub this already. The raw is already out >___>

Someone did release an .ass, but the only raw I've seen has some Koreans hardsubs on it so the wait continues. I do hope a proper raw hits soon.
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Ohh, goody. My money's on Bandai, since they released The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Speaking of which, how did that do in R1 sales (quite well I guess if Summer Wars has already been licensed..)?

I don't know the for the US, but I've been told the numbers for the UK and they were very good for an anime title. So given the size difference I assume the US sales were several times more.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The grandmother reminds me a bit of Mega-Baa in Dennou Coil, actually a lot of the cyber stuff is reminding me of Dennou Coil. Hope we get an announcement of who scooped up the license soon.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oy. I'm distracted for two days (curse you, TVTropes) and suddenly there's a fansub available.

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie ever since it was announced. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was a great movie, and it looks like Mamoru Hosoda is the latest great anime director.

I just downloaded it. Going to make me a nice glass of tea and watch it right away Smile

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Amusingly, the screening for this was in an auditorium that hadn't had the A/C turned on yet (it was 9 in the morning), so it was roasting and smelled of mildew. It takes a great film to make you forget about both of those things (and let's face it, the heat probably helped the mood).

So, you saw a subtitled version of the movie, hosted by Hosoda himself? Awesome, but it also implies that English subtitles already exist, before it comes to N-America. Maybe the Japanese DVD will have an English subtitle track, like Ghibli's DVDs do? I want to buy that Very Happy
Mr. Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

So, you saw a subtitled version of the movie, hosted by Hosoda himself? Awesome, but it also implies that English subtitles already exist, before it comes to N-America. Maybe the Japanese DVD will have an English subtitle track, like Ghibli's DVDs do? I want to buy that Very Happy

Perhaps Justin understands Japanese? Wink

I saw this film in Kyoto while it was on. There were no subtitles, obviously. It's a great movie. Not the best, but arguably better than Girl Who Leapt Through Time; just an all around, solid, collection worthy piece.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

I thought Warner Brothers had licensed it because there was all that talk about WB mimicking Disney and their Ghibli releases.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I was just about to download this, too. Now I'm torn on weather I should wait for the US release or watch it now since, technically, it hasn't been announced.

The technicality is strong with this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
This was just shown last week at the Leeds Film Fest, so it's been licenced for the UK.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6