• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Falling out of character?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching Hayate and having a pretty good time with it. I think it is a bit underrated even though it is clearly low-budget. Whatever the other shortcomings, the director seems to have a good sense a theater.

One of their mainstay comedic devices is to have the characters fall out of character -- do stuff like talk about the anime company's troubles or what would the audience think. A lot of comedy animes do this but not as much as this one.

It made me wonder -- have you ever seen an anime character unintentionally fall out of character? Where they did or said something that didn't make sense for the character in the context of the story? In the hundreds of shows I have seen I don't ever recall seeing that. Does it exist?
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it, breaking the fourth wall would be very difficult to do unintentionally I can't think of anyway it would ever happen
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It made me wonder -- have you ever seen an anime character unintentionally fall out of character? Where they did or said something that didn't make sense for the character in the context of the story?
I have trouble imagining what that would be like, but it seems like such a great idea that I want it to exist.
I'm imagining a scenario relating to the island episodes of Nadia. The stupid inconsistencies there are not the result of anything intentional, just aspects of the show going off the rails. But what if.... what if King's sudden ability to use a typewriter (say) were him unintentionally lapsing out of character. I mean, if an anime actor-lion is playing the rôle of King the non-typewriting lion for most of the series, that's got to be a pretty smart lion, capable of reading Anno's scripts and so on. I mean, the lion playing King all along can probably use a typewriter, right? So maybe when he starts using it on screen, he's unintentionally fallen out of character...?

(The island episodes are so stupid that no stupid theory concerning them can match them — which I reckon gives me free rein.)
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I doubt it, breaking the fourth wall would be very difficult to do unintentionally I can't think of anyway it would ever happen

Breaking the fourth wall, for TV shows in general, is used nearly solely for comedic purposes. When it's intentional, it's funny, but unintentional? I can only see that as coming across as a screw-up, like an actor calling "line" (and considering how voice-acting is done, that wouldn't make any sense in anime). In other words, I just don't see how that could come across as anything but an awkward screw-up or inconsistency in characterization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1