• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Arrested for 2007 Belgian 'Manga Murder' Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
It’s hard to speak to people whose skills of abstract thought are lacking. Many of you are unable see this situation from different angles, that alone is enough to take away so much from the quality of this thread.

You aren't speaking abstracts. You are attempting to come up with an excuse that would pardon the actions of the murderers and the inaction of the non-murderer. When a individual(s) willfully causes the death of another person(s) it is still consider an act of homicide, regardless of the reasons, an arrest must be made. Depending on the circumstances provided in a court of law the level of punishment can vary. The murder happened because the victim did not want to move out and had an argument with the assailants, which then led to them killing him, dismembering the body, writing "I am Killer" notes, and putting some glyph made of rice in a field. None of your abstracting relate to that murder.

Quote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Murder is not okay because someone is bad, even capital punishment is debatable.

According to you that is. What is right and what is wrong depends on whose eyes are looking. You say that, yet capital punishment is practiced throughout the world when this systematic “Law” run by “gods righteousness” deems it necessary. Even in the most barbaric ways in some cultures.

A father who brutally murders the murderer, and rapist of his daughter, would be deemed “wrong, irrational, uncivilized or sick” by the judicial system for taking matters into his own hands. And I’m sure that more people would say he is so, than he is not, but when you think about it, can you really say that he is absolutely wrong for being angry, seeking revenge and killing he who took his daughter‘s life? He’s only human after all. Different circumstances deserve different resolves. In this world people certainly, still act like animals on certain situations, and that’s true. People act upon what they believe is right or wrong through their disposition and there’s no changing that.

It would be pointless for me to explain this type of mindset any longer. Goodbye. Oh, and I am not Belgian.

It is not according to me that murder is bad. That is an accepted rule of the society that we function in. By saying capital punishment is debatable means that it is not absolutely right and that there can be arguments made for and against it.
Nowhere have I said or insinuated that a person is wrong for having emotions like wanting revenge, anger, or hate. Citizens that forgo the laws of due process in order to create justice for themselves by murdering suspects are wrong, without a doubt in my mind.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
My first thought was "what exactly does this have to do with Death Note or even manga in general?"

To be honest, there is no proof of anything that this article says. They might just be saying they caught the murderer(s) just to satisfy the public. They said that they haven't revealed who they are yet...

But anyway, if what is said is to be believed, then the murder happened first. And if they are correct in connecting it with Death Note (in which I really don't see the connection other than the name "Kira" which doesn't really signify anything), it was obvious that its only influence came AFTER the fact.

No one can (or rather, shouldn't) build a 'manga is bad and makes you violent' case off of this because the stuff that related to manga in the case was planted after the crime was already committed. Regardless of if the murderer(s) liked Death Note or not, this person still would have been murdered. The only difference would be that there wouldn't be any notebook pages laying there.
Syntelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this reminds me of a news report I saw on TV about another Death Note case...it wasn't any murder, but just a bunch of kids making their own Death Notes and writing gruesome deaths for other people in their school.

I honestly find it pretty sad how people copy murders from a cartoon. >_> Killing people isn't going to solve issues, it just makes more of them.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
U don't hav2 jump in and risk ur own life but can report it or call cops or sumtin and just becuz ur2 pu**y Shocked 2 help doesn't mean others wouldn't jump in and help. I kno i would because I've done sumtin similar b4. Just grab a bat or sumtin if they r 2 big.
/golf clap. This guy’s a F**kin’ Hero. He deserves a medal, cold milk and some warm cookies.

I'm sorry, I did NOT write this. I'd break my brain typing something stupid looking. Please change it to the right author.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I always wonder what the creators of works like Death Note feel when they see their work being horribly abused in these kinds of ways.

Probably thinking, maybe "Oh great, yet another person acting like a fictional character that I made in a grossly improper fashion. Why in the world does this keep happening?"

Or maybe "Oh vey, not another case. Yet another headache for the North American branch of Viz Media."
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
Syntelle wrote:
Lol, this reminds me of a news report I saw on TV about another Death Note case...it wasn't any murder, but just a bunch of kids making their own Death Notes and writing gruesome deaths for other people in their school.

I honestly find it pretty sad how people copy murders from a cartoon. >_> Killing people isn't going to solve issues, it just makes more of them.

Note that the dismemberment/rice/note stuff is in no way an imitation of the magical-heart-attack murders in Death Note. Also, according to the article, the killing itself had no connection to anime or manga. The prosecution says that after the murder was committed during an argument, the murderers thought of leaving a note referencing manga.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
Ah I remember this. I just hope they found the right guys. Wasn't there another Death Note related crime, where they found body parts at a place nearby a Med school or something?

ninjaclown wrote:
Akukame wrote:
Stokky wrote:
Quote:
The Belgian Federal Police arrested four men on Friday evening — three for murder, and one for "failing to provide assistance to a person in danger"

Since when is sitting and /popcorn'ing a crime?

This isn't America, many other countries have duty to rescue laws. Though with that said, it also depends on where you live. If you live in say... florida, like I do, theres also a law that requires you to act thats been in place for over 20 years.

Besides, wouldn't you at least try to do something if you see someone being killed?

@ninjaclown Not if you don't want to get killed yourself. It’s easier to say “Oh yeah…I definitely would have helped at that or any given situation because that‘s the righteous thing to do.” rather than to admit that you would probably just soil and piss yourself then run away if you saw some random stranger being sawed off into pieces by whack jobs.

@Stokky I agree. However, I guess it depends on the situation.

@Akukame Bystander Effect. Who knows…maybe he wasn’t the only one who witnessed the incident, maybe there were other people too.

Haachan wrote:
It is a citizen's duty to prevent or stop wrongdoing whenever they have the chance. To allow a crime to continue without making any effort to stop it is the same as assisting the crime and therefore grounds for being punished by the legal system.

Valuing YOUR OWN LIFE is a crime? What kind of sick world do we live in? I would gladly obliterate this world into pieces if this is the kind of system we are obligated to abide by.

He's not being charged because he didn't risk his life to save the person who was murdered. He's being charged because he saw what happened and didn't report it.

He could have dialed 911 (or whatever their equivalent is) from the safety of behind a bush.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Lol this is nothing to do with Anime or Manga. ANN's editor must have had some space to fill in this news reel. These kind of things happen all the time. Sad to say. Psycho's will latch onto anything related to violence or death in order to somehow justify their actions to themselves. I remember that there was one in England who murdured like 4 people in revenge and was obsessed with the Pantera song "Becoming". The news called it the "Pantera murdurs" until they where rightfully legally stopped from doing so. Because it's alot easier to think that some kind of outside influence could derange us rather than finally getting fed up of being butf*cked by the world and deciding that death and/or jail time is no longer an effective deterrent for youre own personal revenge. Anyone whose life is cr*p enough could make that decision. Not that it is the case here an argument just got out of hand and they tried to cove their tracks .. badly. We all have the capability of becoming murdurers. There is a limit to the amount of suffering and scorn even the strongest of wills can endure before it either kills itself or kills others. To blame things like Death Note or Pantera is an act of moral cowardice.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Lol this is nothing to do with Anime or Manga. ANN's editor must have had some space to fill in this news reel. These kind of things happen all the time. Sad to say. Psycho's will latch onto anything related to violence or death in order to somehow justify their actions to themselves. I remember that there was one in England who murdured like 4 people in revenge and was obsessed with the Pantera song "Becoming". The news called it the "Pantera murdurs" until they where rightfully legally stopped from doing so. Because it's alot easier to think that some kind of outside influence could derange us rather than finally getting fed up of being butf*cked by the world and deciding that death and/or jail time is no longer an effective deterrent for youre own personal revenge. Anyone whose life is cr*p enough could make that decision. Not that it is the case here an argument just got out of hand and they tried to cove their tracks .. badly. We all have the capability of becoming murdurers. There is a limit to the amount of suffering and scorn even the strongest of wills can endure before it either kills itself or kills others. To blame things like Death Note or Pantera is an act of moral cowardice.

Yeah, but you see, you don't want to wait till someone kills someone, just to make sure they're mentally disturbed. I think most schools do the right thing when they find out a kid has a "death note." Sure, he probably won't do anything, but why take the chance? I'm not *blaming* death note for the killings. I'm just saying that taking the attitude that someone having a death note means nothing is foolish.
ludagad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
Akukame wrote:
Stokky wrote:
Quote:
The Belgian Federal Police arrested four men on Friday evening — three for murder, and one for "failing to provide assistance to a person in danger"

Since when is sitting and /popcorn'ing a crime?

This isn't America, many other countries have duty to rescue laws. Though with that said, it also depends on where you live. If you live in say... florida, like I do, theres also a law that requires you to act thats been in place for over 20 years.

Besides, wouldn't you at least try to do something if you see someone being killed?

I suppose the person who didn't do anything was standing there and watching and being a part of it. For someone who wants to help but values his own life more - call the police from a safe distance, take photos of the criminals in the act so their faces are seen. Apparently he was one of their group so he could have prevented the assault. The cutting happened after the person was dead.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
ludagad wrote:
The cutting happened after the person was dead.

Shocked
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I was reading the comments and I got to be honest, I'm a little tired of people whinging about the fact that it brings "bad PR." That truly isn't the main issue or the one you should be concerned about is it?

The media latches onto "quirks" that turn the everyman into some sort of freak in the eyes of the public. Videogames, sci-fi, horror, manga, anime... it's all the fandom stuff that will be taking a hit. It's the usual, things that aren't commonplace as such, cannot be accepted by the general population when associated with such a horrible case.

A man was killed. Death note will recover.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, but you see, you don't want to wait till someone kills someone, just to make sure they're mentally disturbed. I think most schools do the right thing when they find out a kid has a "death note." Sure, he probably won't do anything, but why take the chance? I'm not *blaming* death note for the killings. I'm just saying that taking the attitude that someone having a death note means nothing is foolish.

Sorry but I am not sure how this is any different from me pretending i lost a french writing book getting a new one and using that to draw people I hated getting mutilated in various ways during class. Alot of people I know did stuff like that it was often a vent to help with bullying. It didn't cross my mind in the slightest to actually put into practice this kind of thing. It was just a way of secrety getting my own back.

I got f*cking suspended when they found that damn thing too though. Teachers can be so touchy when you draw them flying to the moon propelled by their own b.o.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
stuff

Thanks for visiting Ms. Rand, we appreciate your participation.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Quote:

Sorry but I am not sure how this is any different from me pretending i lost a french writing book getting a new one and using that to draw people I hated getting mutilated in various ways during class. Alot of people I know did stuff like that it was often a vent to help with bullying. It didn't cross my mind in the slightest to actually put into practice this kind of thing. It was just a way of secrety getting my own back.

I got f*cking suspended when they found that damn thing too though. Teachers can be so touchy when you draw them flying to the moon propelled by their own b.o.

It's not, but the problem is, you don't know who's disturbed, and who isn't. And waiting for someone to die just to make sure that the person's disturbed is a bad idea. So it's a good idea to nip stuff like death notes written by kids in the bud, before someone ends up dead. Do you see my point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5