• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Brian, thank you for the brief run-down of the varying quality of anime on BD. I am disappointed that a reputable company like Funimation would upscale a standard definition title to HD and then sell it as a Blu-Ray.

This is completely redundant, because BD players (including PS3) will upscale your DVDs to HD automatically. Even some regular DVD players will do this.

I will be scrutinizing the ANN reviews before laying down cash for any future BD releases.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
SQUEE MY ANSWER GOT POSTED IN THE HEY ANSWERFANS! Very Happy

DavidShallcross wrote:
Sure, but summertime Japan also has 85% humidity. My one trip to Japan was in August (because that was when the World Science Fiction Convention was held in Yokohama) and I was dripping with sweat. I foolishly was carrying my passport around in my pocket, and it got kind of soggy.

Completely agreed. I was sopping wet with sweat when I was there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Quote:
And finally, as a guy living in Arizona, you'll get no pity from me if you can't handle 95-degree heat,

Sure, but summertime Japan also has 85% humidity. My one trip to Japan was in August (because that was when the World Science Fiction Convention was held in Yokohama) and I was dripping with sweat. I foolishly was carrying my passport around in my pocket, and it got kind of soggy.

On the plus side, this probably contributes to the extremely short skirts some of the Japanese girls and women wear.

They need to air their crotch.... Laughing
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so you helped write a play where you run around in a diaper singing?

You've got guts man, that's all I have to say.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Brian, thank you for the brief run-down of the varying quality of anime on BD. I am disappointed that a reputable company like Funimation would upscale a standard definition title to HD and then sell it as a Blu-Ray.

This is completely redundant, because BD players (including PS3) will upscale your DVDs to HD automatically. Even some regular DVD players will do this.

I will be scrutinizing the ANN reviews before laying down cash for any future BD releases.

There are advantages to upscaled Blu-rays though. An upscale on a Blu-ray disc should look better than a DVD upscaled in real time by a player for a couple reasons.

1.) Blu-ray discs have a lot more room on the disc which means there are far fewer compression artifacts, macroblocking, etc.

2.) They can use filters to make it look better. Those can cause problems though if they aren't used correctly. That's the problem Funimation have had with their upscales, they've excessively filtered them which caused them to have detail blurred out and to just look like crap overall. Too much filtering does more harm than good.

Another advantage all Blu-rays, upscaled or not, have is lossless audio. That's a major improvement over DVD's compressed audio.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Yamagata002 wrote:
For the Flake of the Week, I have to say Gunbuster (Top o Nerae! Gunbuster). The ditz part excludes Strain. I think Brian knew what it was but wants people to play the guessing game with this for fun.

(actually can i tell you a terrible secret)

(i had no idea what he was talking about at all)

(i saw gunbuster when i was like 16 which was 10 years ago so i totally forgot about the time-dilation element of the story)

(please don't tell anyone about this)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Quote:
...you can guarantee that anything put out by Bandai Visual will look utterly damn amazing (Wings of Honneamise, Akira) and will make your HDTV shudder with paroxysms of videographical delight

Yeah no kidding. BV's blu-rays are always of the highest quality,even in terms of simple packaging, but the prices are WAY too high. I wish Funimation would put the same amount of effort into their blu-rays: I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them.

They do but only when it's a real HD show/movie, it's their upscales of older shows that have been the problem and even they should be better if they used the filters better.

chronoclast wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:

There are advantages to upscaled Blu-rays though. An upscale on a Blu-ray disc should look better than a DVD upscaled in real time by a player for a couple reasons.

1.) Blu-ray discs have a lot more room on the disc which means there are far fewer compression artifacts, macroblocking, etc.

2.) They can use filters to make it look better. Those can cause problems though if they aren't used correctly. That's the problem Funimation have had with their upscales, they've excessively filtered them which caused them to have detail blurred out and to just look like crap overall. Too much filtering does more harm than good.

Another advantage all Blu-rays, upscaled or not, have is lossless audio. That's a major improvement over DVD's compressed audio.

Yeah.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Quote:
And finally, as a guy living in Arizona, you'll get no pity from me if you can't handle 95-degree heat,

Sure, but summertime Japan also has 85% humidity. My one trip to Japan was in August (because that was when the World Science Fiction Convention was held in Yokohama) and I was dripping with sweat. .

Sounds like a normal August in my part of the Midwest. I can remember a stretch of a little over a week last year where the temp was around 100 and humidity was between 90-100%, nothing like breaking into a hardcore sweat just walking to the mailbox. So no pity from me either. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
I am disappointed that a reputable company like Funimation would upscale a standard definition title to HD and then sell it as a Blu-Ray.

It's even worse than that. Funimation not only upscale most of their BDs, they filter the crap out of them. Their main abuse is of DVNR. DVNR is meant to remove noise from old video sources, and when misused (i.e. on almost anything other than ancient VHS or laserdisc rips) it invariably destroys film grain from film sources. Funimation go far, far beyond misuse, to the point where the filter not only eats the grain, but most of the fine detail too. Their Gunslinger Girls BD, for example, looks worse than the R1 DVD.
They also do this with their regular DVD releases, in addition to starving the video bitrate.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Work hard with guts young Answerman, and continue to pity fools!
Also, I liked the DR omnibus- cheaper price, and a way to ensure series get finished that might not be making enough sales otherwise.
Kingakuzutto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
if i was in the anime industry, i would be an artist. or even a director of an anime series
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
I think the anime the person seek in the flake of the week is Gunbuster.

That's exactly what I thought too.

It's cool

(thus the birth of a meme)

Save the meme-creation for the imageboard of your choice. Insubstantial 1-liner posts might be more tolerated there than they are here.

Quote:
Sounds like a normal August in my part of the Midwest. I can remember a stretch of a little over a week last year where the temp was around 100 and humidity was between 90-100%, nothing like breaking into a hardcore sweat just walking to the mailbox. So no pity from me either.
The movers we hired to move my grandma's stuff told us that they briefly had a coworker from Phoenix. He didn't last more than a day or two because he couldn't take the hot and humid Nebraska summer weather.
mulrich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Naouak wrote:
I think the anime the person seek in the flake of the week is Gunbuster.

I agree, it's Aim for the Top! Gunbuster

(May I just rant for a moment about that? I love its sequel, Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster. What the hell made Bandai Visual feel inclined to title it Gunbuster 2? It's just wrong, and every time the title screen comes on, it'll be wrong. Not to be totally anti-American or anything, but is this to suit stupid Americans - I've been to America, I know you're not all stupid, far from, but the stupidity I did encounter... wow - who can't figure out that Diebuster is a sequel to Gunbuster? It is the exact reason I haven't bought the two series. I just can't live with it. That, and the subs for Diebuster are pretty terrible and annoying.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Regarding Blu-Rays, I can see why there would be a mad dash for Blu-Ray releases of new HD stuff, but I always felt that it was kind of redundant to release old SD stuff on Blu-Ray. The reason is because they were not meant for HD in the first place, and peronally, would look weird.

This discussion immediately reminded me of a Blu-Ray of A Charlie Brown Christmas I spotted at Target. Why would you need to watch that in HD? The visual style is minimalistic; Charles Schulz eschewed detail, instead going for as few pen strokes as possible. Backgrounds are often solid colors. All this extra stuff is not necessary and feels like overkill. It's like using a supercomputer to do algebra homework. Something meant to be viewed at SD resolution should be viewed at SD resolution.

How well are Blu-Rays selling right now compared to DVDs anyway? I would estimate that less than half of American households (the largest market for home video) even have HDTVs; in this household, we don't use HDTVs as we have perfectly functioning SD sets, which I think will keep on going for many years to come. HDTVs right now are far, far too expensive. Most of them I find are over $1000. I think it will take more than two years for the sets to really take off, considering that two years ago, they weren't that much more expensive than they are now.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Something meant to be viewed at SD resolution should be viewed at SD resolution.

If you're watching it on an HDTV, it's going to be scaled up to your TV's resolution no matter what, regardless of whether that scaling is done in real-time by your video player or in advance for a Blu-ray encode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5