• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Just judging by the reviews so far, this B Gata H Kei series sounds like the anime embodiment of the virgin/whore dichotomy. Rolling Eyes I think I could somehow respect the concept more if she were just going about sleeping with hot guys on her own terms or something (still wouldn't watch it) but does she really need to start out targeting the "nerdy unattractive" guy? (answer: yes, of course she does). I haven't actually watched the show and I have zero plans to do so, so I think I'll stop here. Thanks, reviewers, for taking the bullet for us. Well, some of us anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I am shocked and appalled by your lazy fact checking:

"Chu-Bra!!, which pretended to be about female puberty but was really just an excuse for otaku to leer at a high school girl who wouldn't shut up about her panties"

Ahem, middle school girl (12 years old). See, that makes it sooo much better. Anime dazed

I feel the need to watch one episode of B Gata H Kei just so I can be done with it. I should keep count of how many times I roll my eyes. I could make it a drinking game, but I'd probably be unconscious (or sustain permanent liver damage) before the episode was over.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagi21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
B Gata H Kei...her "goal" is to sleep with 100 men. Really? This concept actually got a greenlight for a full blown series? Seems more like something for a 1-2 episode hentai OVA at best.

The overall impressions of Heroman sounds just like I would expect, same with the latest Ikkitousen.
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
So I guess the average opinion is:
Heroman - good
Ikkitousen - meh
B Gata H Kei - crap

Well I'm glad to see Heroman is getting some love, I just saw the first episode and I loved it Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As for stuff I personally want to see this season, Rainbow, Night Raid and House of Five Leaves are all on the top of my must-see list. Here's hoping at least one of them is good!

Ah, good to hear. Those are three of the four shows on top of my list as well. (The fourth being Hakuoki). I find our taste in anime is usually quite similar so I'll be very interested to hear your take on them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
B Gata H Kei's premise is inherently stupid, it really and truly is. Couldn't the writers have made it a bit more palatable? Like, have the girl be a slut with a dozen guys "under her belt" (or in her panties, if you know what I mean), who falls in love with her next target. Then she tries to woo him, which is hard because he actually has a spine of sorts and is wary about going out with someone whose history suggests she just wants a meaningless empty fling. He makes her realise that she doesn't need lots of sexual partners to make herself happy, because one genuine guy is better than a dozen of the sort of drunk guys she meets at wild parties (or wherever). Whether or not they end up together is besides the point; what matters is how she grows as a person, and how he (oh, let's say) develops confidence in himself and in his skills at interacting with members of the opposite sex.

Hey, at least the story could then be touching in parts, with room for realistic characters rather than the less-than-one-dimensional characters found in B Gata H Kei. Yeah, it could get rather sappy, but it would still be orders of magnitude better than what it is now, which appears to be a painfully unfunny risqué "comedy".
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac wrote:
As for stuff I personally want to see this season, Rainbow, Night Raid and House of Five Leaves are all on the top of my must-see list. Here's hoping at least one of them is good!

Ah, good to hear. Those are three of the four shows on top of my list as well. (The fourth being Hakuoki). I find our taste in anime is usually quite similar so I'll be very interested to hear your take on them.

Same here, along with Arakawa and Yojo-han.

I wonder who will be the brave soul to tackle SD Gundam: Sangokuden (and the bigger question, who's doing the new Koihime Musou? Razz)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
B Gata H Kei's premise is inherently stupid, it really and truly is. Couldn't the writers have made it a bit more palatable? Like, have the girl be a slut with a dozen guys "under her belt" (or in her panties, if you know what I mean), who falls in love with her next target. Then she tries to woo him, which is hard because he actually has a spine of sorts and is wary about going out with someone whose history suggests she just wants a meaningless empty fling. He makes her realise that she doesn't need lots of sexual partners to make herself happy, because one genuine guy is better than a dozen of the sort of drunk guys she meets at wild parties (or wherever). Whether or not they end up together is besides the point; what matters is how she grows as a person, and how he (oh, let's say) develops confidence in himself and in his skills at interacting with members of the opposite sex.

Hey, at least the story could then be touching in parts, with room for realistic characters rather than the less-than-one-dimensional characters found in B Gata H Kei. Yeah, it could get rather sappy, but it would still be orders of magnitude better than what it is now, which appears to be a painfully unfunny risqué "comedy".

I'd watch that. Heck, it would resemble a gender-inverted Wedding Crashers, or any number of other raunchy romantic comedies. Just make her a college student while you're at it, please!
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Nagi21 wrote:
B Gata H Kei...her "goal" is to sleep with 100 men. Really? This concept actually got a greenlight for a full blown series? Seems more like something for a 1-2 episode hentai OVA at best.
Warning: Plot device spoiled ahead.
spoiler[She doesn't end up getting 100 guys. She doesn't even get past the first. That's basically her motivation as it turns into a romance comedy.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Warning: Plot device spoiled ahead.
spoiler[She doesn't end up getting 100 guys. She doesn't even get past the first. That's basically her motivation as it turns into a romance comedy.]

Yeah, but what they've done is spoiler[make a "Romance Comedy" with apparently no romance and comedy that only appeals to a limited group.] Kind of defeats the point, right?

vashfanatic wrote:
I'd watch that. Heck, it would resemble a gender-inverted Wedding Crashers, or any number of other raunchy romantic comedies. Just make her a college student while you're at it, please!

Cheers.

I wasn't aiming to make it seem like a Romantic Comedy, more like a touching Drama with elements of Romance and Comedy. That was my personal goal mind you, not the "correct" interpretation.

If you want the girl to be a college student then that's fine. I personally would prefer if she was in her last or second-to-last year of high school, if only to keep her slightly more naive about relationships and whatnot. But yeah, fifteen is just too young in my opinion, even if the show is supposed to be a light-hearted Comedy. Yuck.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
If Tim was referring to the spoiler[broken planet at the beginning] of Heroman as being a hint to Galactus cameoing, it's sadly not what it looks like. spoiler[The alien villains are locusts who loot planets of their resources and leave them ruined.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Any chance of seeing the first Eden of the East movie here? I haven't downloaded it yet because of the massive filesize the fansubbers are insisting on (like 2.7 gigabytes; F!@#), and I was wondering how good it was.
TimMaughan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
If Tim was referring to the spoiler[broken planet at the beginning] of Heroman as being a hint to Galactus cameoing, it's sadly not what it looks like. spoiler[The alien villains are locusts who loot planets of their resources and leave them ruined.]

Aw, really? That's a shame. But then I'm also intrigued spoiler[by the aliens themselves, who do kind of remind me of the Dire Wraiths and the Skrulls. In fact, for some reason Heroman is giving me a strange Rom: The Space Knight vibe.]

If not true then that's a shame, a cross-over to the Marvel universe in form of some bad guys - or even a cameo from another hero - would be a great direction for the show. I mean, why else set it in the US? (Apart from wanting to sell it there, obviously...)
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
TimMaughan wrote:
Vent wrote:

Aw, really? That's a shame. But then I'm also intrigued spoiler[by the aliens themselves, who do kind of remind me of the Dire Wraiths and the Skrulls. In fact, for some reason Heroman is giving me a strange Rom: The Space Knight vibe.]

If not true then that's a shame, a cross-over to the Marvel universe in form of some bad guys - or even a cameo from another hero - would be a great direction for the show. I mean, why else set it in the US? (Apart from wanting to sell it there, obviously...)

Marvel have nothing to do with Heroman.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Any chance of seeing the first Eden of the East movie here? I haven't downloaded it yet because of the massive filesize the fansubbers are insisting on (like 2.7 gigabytes; F!@#), and I was wondering how good it was.

And this is the perfect place to make your silly, totally related question? Complaining about file size doesn't make you look better or legit btw, as well as insulting fansubbers who use their time and effort to translate the shows into English, which you are still going to watch. (don't bother saying that you didn't insult them this time... that Katanagatari thread is in my blood now.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 49