• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michigan Middle School Boy Suspended Over 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
This kid thought about two people not existing and wrote it down in a place he apparently intended to keep private. He never told anyone, verbally or in writing, that he intended to take any action whatsoever to make it happen. There's no other indication that he had any plans for anything at all. Daydreaming about someone being killed does not constitute planning or threatening their harm or deaths.

If he wanted to keep it private, then he never should have taken it to school where others could come across or see it.

He's fourteen. Old enough to know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. And what is stupid to do.

And, like some others have said, "Teh Rule" handed out at the beginning of the year, If his school has them, more then likely state that written or verbal threats will get you in B I G trouble.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
I have been reading about these "Death Note" incidents and it just seems ridiculous. It has been a while since I was a teenager so I have no idea how teenagers think these days.

If only people read the first couple of pages in any work of fiction, you will most likely see a disclaimer. It is usually worded like this: This is a work of fiction. All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If only teenagers would realize that "Death Notes" are not real, we would not have situations pop up like this every once in a while.
bendomolena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
keikanna44 wrote:
Two words 'Stupid People.'

Thank you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
If only teenagers would realize that "Death Notes" are not real, we would not have situations pop up like this every once in a while.

Another fruitcake pops into the thread. How hard is it to see that the problem lies with the teachers who A: believe that a student writing names down on a piece of paper is a cause for alarm, and B: do nothing to tackle the underlying reasons which drove a student to hate his fellow students so much?

Or are you seriously suggesting that the boy genuinely believed that the two people whose names he wrote down would actually die? Because if you are . . . . . .
Scoop11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Kids do stupid stuff, period. It's up to the parents to determine what their kids are capable of watching without being copycats. When I was a kid, my favorite book was "Carrie." I identified with her on a lot of different levels, and wished I had her powers so that I could get rid of my own bullies. Smile

For Christmas I gave my stepson the first two volumes of "Death Note" for Christmas. I only learned about the controversy afterwards, and after watching the anime had no qualms about giving it to him since I knew that he wouldn't do something that stupid. My 12 year old stepdaughter started reading them after that, also, and suffered no ill effects.

It's all about knowing your kids. They do stupid things sometimes, but we have to educate them in what's appropriate and what's out there.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hasn't it been some time since the last "kid makes Death Note, teachers lose their heads" announcement? I almost thought Death Note was kinda blase and old news now, and I was almost expecting them to start going after obscene content now.

But seriously people, things like this wouldn't happen if people started paying attention to how people are treated, if this kid was bullied or something, people should be aware of it, and when something like this happens, it wouldn't be such a massive surprise.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Gee, seems these days kids have waaaaay too much time on their hands. Like making a "Death Note" book. This generation saddens me because they allow themselves to be so self absorbed to the point that they do stupid crap and then ruin it for everyone else. No wonder the "watchdogs" are always on people's back because no one acts like they have a goddamn bit of sense these days.

I don't know if suspending this kid was the answer. As long as there was no harm in it. There are worse things to get suspended for. And it's only for a short period. Say a day or two. But you never know these days. Especially when you hear about all these cases of kids having problems in school and don't know how to vent that they end up bringing weapons and inflicting harm. But the school has to cover it's a$$ somehow. The whole system is broke. Sad
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Naked Beast wrote:

Another fruitcake pops into the thread. How hard is it to see that the problem lies with the teachers who A: believe that a student writing names down on a piece of paper is a cause for alarm, and B: do nothing to tackle the underlying reasons which drove a student to hate his fellow students so much?

Or are you seriously suggesting that the boy genuinely believed that the two people whose names he wrote down would actually die? Because if you are . . . . . .

That's my concern as well. I'm sure the student didn't think that what they did would come true. Either wanted to take out things on paper or just did it for kicks. No different if a kid drew a monster tearing a foe up.

In this day and age, I honestly think people are too sensitive. Even the smallest threat, and they go overboard. Without knowing the context of what was written and the people in charge know about Death Note, it is to be expected.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
a bunch of comments on this thread i find retarded. this is public school's problem.. my tax payer goes to pay idiots with comments i don't agree with and have their policies run the school. how about we just keep schools local and private, so my money pays for the schools i want, not some school run by your retarded ideas.

i for one think there are much smarter methods to stop potential shootouts in schools. such as the teachers actually grow a pair and spend more time with trouble teenagers. i would assume someone using a death note is not always someone who is emotionally troubled, but if an adult at school felt concerned, there are much more diligent ways to show his concern rather than a lazy method to simply take away the "allegedly" troubled individual's way of venting.

why don't i keep my money and pay for the schools i think is smarter than your version, and you can run your school your way, and we'll see which school continues to dumb out and drop out like america is today, so we can actually establish the fact it is your dumb ideas that is the problem with stupid to no counseling, prohibition to solve everything approach, and that you can screw with yourself but not everybody else's money and effort.

and to the stupid kids dumb enough to believe in whatever your kidults tell you because you lived under their authority, or perhaps you are dumb because you did, refrain from suggesting a retarded censuring methods as this. it's enough that the adults teaching you are stupid. don't spread it around, it's evidently contagious. eff you.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Book recommendation for folks.

Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence by Gerard Jones.

An interesting read on children, dealing with anxiety though make believe and how some adults overreact.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
honestly, I believe in all cases the schools' actions were warranted. if they bring a Death Note to school and write down names in it they're asking for trouble. this is the post-Columbine and post-Virginia Tech era where schools need to keep an eye out for anything that could mean something that bad at a later point. by bringing a Death Note to school and listing names in it they're essentially creating a hit list, even if it's done as a joke, and the school is obligated to act accordingly. we also don't get many of the fine details of the incidents so we don't necessarily know if there were any other warning signs that could have lead to their final decisions, all we know is that it got sensationalized because they had a Death Note.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
...we also don't get many of the fine details of the incidents so we don't necessarily know if there were any other warning signs that could have lead to their final decisions, all we know is that it got sensationalized because they had a Death Note.

Out of all the incidents where Death Notes were brought to school, there has never been any sign that the students were close to carrying out some sort of plot. You'd think if there were other factors that they would have been reported, by local media if no-one else. Additionally, no school shooter in the last three years made a Death Note before they went on their rampages. So there is no evidence to support an association between making a Death Note and even intending to go on a rampage, let alone actually committing one.

Also, it seems once again that you miss the salient point; the school should not punish the kid with indefinite suspension but instead try to understand the reasons behind the student's actions. If he was doing it as a joke then suspension is unwarranted. If he was a troubled youth, then by all means quietly send him to a psychiatrist. A public suspension is like one of the worst things he needs right now, don't you think?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
...we also don't get many of the fine details of the incidents so we don't necessarily know if there were any other warning signs that could have lead to their final decisions, all we know is that it got sensationalized because they had a Death Note.

Out of all the incidents where Death Notes were brought to school, there has never been any sign that the students were close to carrying out some sort of plot. You'd think if there were other factors that they would have been reported, by local media if no-one else. Additionally, no school shooter in the last three years made a Death Note before they went on their rampages. So there is no evidence to support an association between making a Death Note and even intending to go on a rampage, let alone actually committing one.

Also, it seems once again that you miss the salient point; the school should not punish the kid with indefinite suspension but instead try to understand the reasons behind the student's actions. If he was doing it as a joke then suspension is unwarranted. If he was a troubled youth, then by all means quietly send him to a psychiatrist. A public suspension is like one of the worst things he needs right now, don't you think?
the way the schools see it is probably that they're removing a potential hazard from the rest of the students. it's probably only a first step to get rid of them before they ascertain exactly how much of a threat they really are.

for example, when I was in 9th grade a student called in a bomb threat as a joke. three days after that happened she was identified as the one who did it then expelled. a few months later after further actions, which included getting her some counseling, they decided the expulsion was not necessary and she wasn't actually a threat and after they did some work to work out her real issues she was allowed back into school.

in this case it's probably a similar reaction; they want to remove a potential threat before anything bad can happen and at a later date they may reasses the situation and decide how exactly to handle the student and situation. they just want to err on the side of caution, thus the overblown initial reaction.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Don't forget there was also that one guy in some other country who used something from the Death Note like a calling card for his crimes. Not that it has anything to do with this, but not everything involving Death Notes are innocent.

It doesn't matter if the kid wasn't intending to go through with killing the children in the Death Note, what matters is that he had something labeled a Death Note, and a description of death and the times of death he wanted them to die at. The administration really has no choice but to act on it, since it is a "possible threat."

The school staff should not, under any circumstances, leave it alone of course. Sending him out quietly for psychiatric care would be good only if he showed any specific mental problems, but even then it's not really the school's sole responsibility to get him that kind of degree of help.

If he was doing this as a joke, then suspension is perfectly warranted. He was stupid to bring something that personal and potentially dangerous to himself to a public school. It's like saying bomb on an airplane. It doesn't matter if you were joking, you still can't say it. It's a "better safe than sorry" way of thinking. The only other punishment would be to give him something like detention, and if detention is anything like how my high school had it, then it wouldn't be a strict enough punishment as it doesn't really teach a lesson. Now if he was expelled, that's a different story.

I would also like to point out that your first paragraph feels a bit faulty. The previous cases of Death Note's in schools should not be any indicator for how the staff should react to this case. Have you ever heard of a black swan? For a long while people though it was a 100% truth that all swans were white. Then one day someone found a swan that was black and it change everything we knew about swans. Black swan is also used to mean a situation when nothing we knew in the past could lead us to that conclusion. When a black swan occurs it usually causes some impact and people start concocting excuses after the fact. Things like columbine are an example of this. A lot of the times though a black swan could be avoided. Usually though they happen not because we have nothing leading to it but because we overlook it.

What I'm trying to get at is, we shouldn't just go "oh this happened with some other kid, they must act the same way." When you start thinking like that, it ends up a boy who cried wolf effect. The school is suspending him before any problem can happen because they found evidence of something that could cause a problem. Also the correlation between school shootings and Death Notes is something that has no relation as of yet, and the schools are trying to make sure there never are.

Wow this is long. I hope in the end whatever I wrote makes some sense.

Edited for spelling and grammar.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
Don't forget there was also that one guy in some other country who used something from the Death Note like a calling card for his crimes. Not that it has anything to do with this, but not everything involving Death Notes are innocent.

I have no idea as to which case you mean. And I cannot possibly believe something so vague. Perhaps you are referring to this case? But that is an extremely weak case to base an argument on. Yes, not everyone who knows about Death Note is innocent. But you could make that argument for any fictional work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6