• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
The Count wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm hoping to slowly become more versed in older titles too. I swear I'm one of the few who's been into anime as long as I have that's never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. ~_~
That's cool, just do yourself a favor and watch Rahxephon instead Laughing (watching very timidly as EVA fans approach).

Maybe watch both? I really like parts of RaXephon, but given how much of it feels like just a clone of Eva (and that other series), he ought to at least try watching Eva first.

And . . . um . . . yeah, Dirty Pair, too.
Seriously I would advise him/her to watch both to, that was me just joking around.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
It's about friggin' time! As soon as I get paid, I'm pre-ordering this sucker. God, I can't believe it's finally being released! I think I'ma gonna cry Anime cry. Laughing Anyway, absolutely ecstatic about this. Hopefully the nay-sayers won't have much effect on sales of this bad boy...I don't need it being canceled half way through release like Saint Seiya was...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I remember trying to watch Dirty Pair Flash! back when I first started watching anime, and it didn't float my boat. Before I buy this, I think I'll watch my boyfriends Dirty Pair DVDs, as he has one of the older series, and Flash!

Definitely give the original a shot. The original DP and DP Flash have literally nothing in common other than a few character names.

darksharingan wrote:
Not getting a dub? Then what the hell was the point of licensing the series if it's gonna get the subs only? Then I'm not gonna buy it since I already downloaded it.

You, sir, are part of the problem. I mean, seriously, you have every right NOT to buy it, but that doesn't make stealing it justified. That's like going into a McDonald's and stealing chicken sandwiches because you only want to pay for McNuggets and they're out that day.

K.o.R. wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Go whine elsewhere. What's the point of listening to dubs when you've already read it in English?

Because, amazingly enough, some people actually like English dubs.

I vastly prefer English dubs, too, but I'll get a series like this any way I can get it.

darksharingan wrote:
And besides, Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball started in the 80s but didn't get licensed until 2001 but they still got dubs

Uh, what? The first dubbed Ranma VHS tapes were out in like 1995, and Dragon Ball was on syndicated television by 1997 at the latest.

darksharingan wrote:
Yeah, maybe dubbing it would raise the price of the DVDs but there's one simple way to get around that...GET A JOB AND STOP BEING CHEAP!!

Now that I would agree on (sort of). I'd pay a few extra bucks to get a dub. What we don't know, though, is just how much more Nozomi would have to charge to finance the dub, and whether it'd just add a few bucks or, say, double the price. I want to see the show dubbed, but I wouldn't want to pay that much for it.

zrdb wrote:
Kei and Yuri were the girls that got me into anime-although I admit I always liked Kei better than Yuri.

That's not uncommon. I read an interview somewhere (maybe in Animerica?) that pointed out that Yuri is much more popular in Japan, but Kei is much more popular in America. Must be because we have so much more first-hand experience with feisty redheads. Smile (says the guy who's marrying one on Saturday!)

shay guy wrote:
Okay, serious question now for those of you who've seen it: I know it's a classic of American anime fandom, I know it was one of the major series of the pre-Akira era that people watched on Nth-generation VHS tapes that had had subtitles edited in the hard way, etc. etc....but is Dirty Pair actually any good?

I'd agree with what RedLeader said...it's not going to blow your mind with its awesomeness or anything, but it's good, solid entertainment that's a lot of fun to watch. On ANN's rating scale, I'd give what I've seen of the franchise around a 7 or 8 (or between good and very good).

tofusensei wrote:
Go ahead and pre-order now.

I'm off to do just that riiiiight...now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Both sets ordered from the TRSI sale Very Happy
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm probably gonna cave - I'm feeling generous since Clannad and Blue Drop finally got their dubs.

I hope these are going to be using the remastered film stock.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This is a shocker. Right Stuf licenses Dirty Pair 1985? Wow! I thought Bandai would for sure bring this series to the states on thier own.

Anyway this is good news, I plan on picking this up later when it comes out this year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Took ADV long enough to let go of it....

Dirty Pair was so good, enough so to be a defining foundation of the hot-girls-with-guns anime genre. There are lots of hot-girls-with-guns anime now. After watching those, depends on what your expectations now how much you'll enjoy DP. Back then, there weren't much expectations obviously - there weren't many hot-girls-with-guns anime.

Oh, just a bit of tidbit, "Kei" and "Yuri" are referenced several times in the Star Trek universe, so even back then, their writers have taken to it. Laughing
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
egoist wrote:
I bet they paid like 10 dollars for this one.

It's a Sunrise title, and they don't exactly give away their titles for free. The price involved kept ADV from optioning it [they released the OVA's, remake OVA's and movies], so I'm guessing they might of gotten a better deal, but not necessarity a bargain basement deal. I imagine RStuf has moved a whack of Dirty Pair over the years, and know what the market for it is.

I mean, Dark Horse has made action figures and shot glasses based on the stuff Adam Warren's done, so there's a definite paying market out there for this stuff. I'm curious if they'll do a dub since this is something with more market history then other items they've picked up

I'm curious if we'll see a reissue of the OVA's or movies accompanying this [whether notADV sitll has them, or RightStuf license rescues them] . http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Browse/Dirty+Pair/PpwNwkt8 Dark Horse has done good business with Dirty Pair over the years. It's like Gunsmith Cats, one of those franchises that's bigger than newer fans suspect.

ADV's license on Dirty Pair 1987 OAV, Affair on Nolandia '85 OVA, Flash And the 1986 and 1989 films acqiured from Streamline in 1999 officially expired on February 29,2008.

Henceforth, ADV no longer holds the rights to them. They've all reverted back to Bandai, from what i've heard.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Most awesome liscensing news EVER!!! Finally, my favorite anime series is coming out in the US completely. Here's hoping it's all 26 eps (since the last 2 were video/ld releases only). If they use the R2J remastered dvds for the video, that'll be awesome. Let's just hope they do a straight release of the R2J dvds, since they have like 5-6 eps each, and not a "4 eps per dvd reencoded" thing.

Now someone needs to go talk to TRSI about putting the streamline dubs back in the "Movie" dvds, since ADV couldn't. My ADV boxsets will have new friends here soon. hehe.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Most awesome liscensing news EVER!!! Finally, my favorite anime series is coming out in the US completely. Here's hoping it's all 26 eps (since the last 2 were video/ld releases only). If they use the R2J remastered dvds for the video, that'll be awesome. Let's just hope they do a straight release of the R2J dvds, since they have like 5-6 eps each, and not a "4 eps per dvd reencoded" thing.

Now someone needs to go talk to TRSI about putting the streamline dubs back in the "Movie" dvds, since ADV couldn't. My ADV boxsets will have new friends here soon. hehe.

The Streamline dubs of 1990 were unbeilevebly supbar and dull. Why anyone would want to hear them again, is beyond me.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
drgonzo369 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

The Streamline dubs of 1990 were unbeilevebly supbar and dull. Why anyone would want to hear them again, is beyond me.

I actually have all 3 on VHS (and have captured 2 to mts already to convert to dvd for prospertity) and I enjoy then. I'm a Streamline whore, since i actually enjoy the old dubs. Maybe it's just Nostalgia, but I honestly like them AND enjoy them. Whole reason why I have my Criterion Akira LD, since Pioneer renigged on putting the Streamline dub on the Akira when it was released on dvd.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

If they use the R2J remastered dvds for the video, that'll be awesome.

Shawne posted on AOD that they are using the remastered video and all 26 episodes will be included.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
drgonzo369 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

If they use the R2J remastered dvds for the video, that'll be awesome.

Shawne posted on AOD that they are using the remastered video and all 26 episodes will be included.

I wasn't sure if they were gonna pull a Funi with DBZ, since funi did a remastering that was completely different then the r2j remastering.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
drgonzo369 wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I actually have all 3 on VHS (and have captured 2 to mts already to convert to dvd for prospertity) and I enjoy then. I'm a Streamline whore, since i actually enjoy the old dubs. Maybe it's just Nostalgia, but I honestly like them AND enjoy them. Whole reason why I have my Criterion Akira LD, since Pioneer renigged on putting the Streamline dub on the Akira when it was released on dvd.

We'll I guess you can vouch for rarity and nostalgia. Streamline went out of business 11 years ago and alot of thier old VHS and Laser Disc masters are rare and hard to find.

http://www.animerepublic.net/images/gallery/VHS/Anime%20VHS%20group%2022.jpg
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I know it has nothing to do with this, but since DP is finally liscenced, here's hoping that Lensman finally gets tagged by someone. My LD needs a proper replacement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10