• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime collection software.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moongdss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Hi gang! I'm looking for recommendations to catalog our sizable anime DVD/VHS/Laserdisc collection. We're looking to pick up a USB UPC scanner, so I'm really after a program that will look up by UPC and has a good anime reference database source. Most of what I'm finding out there is geared towards mainstream hollywood movies and lacks much weight in the Anime area.

My ultimate wants are Cover Pics, editable and searchable Tags, and fields where we can indicate the location of the DVD (house, storage, sold, etc.).

Freeware is preferred, but if it's the raddest piece of software that you've ever come across, I'd love to hear about it.

TIA!
Diana
krelyan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
DVDProfiler is the only program I'm aware of that offers compatibility with bar scanners. But as the name suggests, it's DVD only.
moongdss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
yeah, I'm pretty certain most UPC-friendly programs will only be DVD, the laserdiscs can be entered manually (and the VHS aren't high up on my list unless they're über-rare.

The scanner merely acts as a keyboard input... reading the barcode and putting the UPC numbers in a field. So any database that looks up UPCs will work Smile

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look up DVDProfiler

<typo>
moongdss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
DVDProfiler is looking nice. that might be the one to do it for us.

Anyone use All My Movies? http://www.bolidesoft.com/allmymovies.html they list several Anime databases in their plug-in list.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
It's not software, but I find DVD Aficionado to be a good website to keep track of DVDs. Their anime database seems to be pretty extensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1