• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Insider Ends Publication After Eight Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Geeze I'm so slow on the uptake, but at least I now know what happened to my EGM subscription. (<---Slightly OT)

I saw my local comic book store get in some of AI's last issue, so maybe people will have better luck checking out those places if they want s copy. I know I do. Crying or Very sad I'm really going to miss their snarky dialogue bubbles and lists such as "worst dressed anime character". I just wish I could transition over to Otaku USA, but last time I saw the magazine in stock, it had DBZ plastered on it (from what I can remember) and that just didn't sell me. *sighs* Anime Insider, you will be missed.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Stupid Gaijin wrote:
I've been a loyal reader every month since Anime Invasion. I still have all of my copies and even had a couple letters printed. This news just....blows.

AI was a fun mag. It had the disctinction of really being the first widely circulated anime mag in the U.S. and had the same kind of smartass, kid-in-the-back-of-class humor that its big brother Wizard used to have. But, as a news source, printed material can only go go so far in this age of "Gotta have it, and gotta have it now!" media consumption.

And Zac, I'm sorry about your job man, I've been there, and wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Now we're left with Otaku USA, which is really good, but has gone a different direction from hard news; Protoculture Addicts, that still has a fanzine vibe to it, and NEO out of the U.K. If you thought AI was a little behind, read NEO. It's like opening a freakin' time capsule.

The main reason why NEO is so supposedly behind the times is because it's aimed at a UK audience mainly, not an US audience! In any case, the guys at AI have my deepest sympathy as it was a damn good read and I always looked forward to it every month.

As for OTAKU USA and PA, for some reason, they seem to be sporadic when they come into my local comic stores in Liverpool thanks to Diamond UK's hit-and-miss distribution in the past year or two... [which is ironic seeing as their UK office is just down the road from where I live in Runcorn!]
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
As for OTAKU USA and PA, for some reason, they seem to be sporadic when they come into my local comic stores in Liverpool thanks to Diamond UK's hit-and-miss distribution in the past year or two... [which is ironic seeing as their UK office is just down the road from where I live in Runcorn!]

I don't think any of the comic shops in my area bother to order PA anymore. Used to see it all the time in the nineties. Otaku USA's next issue (June 2009 cover date) might not make it through Diamond since the recent price cut and Diamond's new minimum order requirements don't go together very well.

Not sure I want to try subscribing since the last time I got a subscription to a U.S. magazine, I only got half the issues due to problems on this end. (Mailing label had a domestic address as the sender, so subscription copies were probably shipped in bulk from the U.S. to save shipping costs.) At least with in-stock comic shop copies I don't have to worry about that, and there isn't the usual horrendous import magazine mark-up.
SummerOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Like a lot of people here Anime Insider/Invasion was my first anime magazine and I have subscribed to it off and on for years (depending on my finances) I think there was one banner year I subscribed to AI, shonen jump, shojo beat, and New-type USA....ahhh good times. Currently I am subcribing to just Shojo Beat but I TOTALLY would have subscribed to AI again this year if I knew they were so close to closing their doors! I wish magazines would do one last push before cancelation and as for support ala public tv/radio because I know I will miss it!

I was just lamenting the other day how I feel so out of touch with Anime currently without NewType and not seeing AI in the store. I loved AIs humor and laid back "real" attitude and fun content.

I don't so much care for Protoculture, or Neo (It must be my imagination but it seems like there is always a lot of mech featured)...I have no idea how I am going to get the content I once did. I mean I love Anime News Network but I have to actually remember to comeby and check and that happens only every couple of months.

-I would totally buy a zine by you guys AnimeNewsNetwork!! Please send me your info to my house!

-Do we think that manga anthologies like Shojo beat/shonen jump are next or is the on going stories have people locked in?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SummerOtaku wrote:
I don't so much care for Protoculture, or Neo (It must be my imagination but it seems like there is always a lot of mech featured)...I have no idea how I am going to get the content I once did. I mean I love Anime News Network but I have to actually remember to comeby and check and that happens only every couple of months.

-I would totally buy a zine by you guys AnimeNewsNetwork!! Please send me your info to my house!

Protoculture Addicts IS the magazine released by Anime News Network. There is a link for it at the top of the page.
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Very sad to see Anime Insider go. :'( Though I suppose the one-two punch of print not doing very well in general and the anime/manga market in the US drying up made it difficult to keep things going. (And unfortunately often those holding the purse strings don't care about things like history and market importance and such.) Hopefully all who lost their jobs will land on their feet.
mozychan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
I use to pick this up on and off over the years, and it wasn't half bad (though it had nothing on Newtype), but still, it's a shame to see it go under.

Now that I think about it, there aren't any more anime magz are there? Newtype is dead, PiQ followed shortly after, Insider just got the axe and that one-shot anime mag that was released a few months ago (can't remember the name...) never came to fruition.

Damn...

Actually one magazine that still exists is Otaku USA , but recently it's been undergoing changes. They no longer include a DVD, but instead they reduced the price and stream an episode of their featured anime for a month on their website (monthly password required). They are not too certain about their own future right now as is revealed in the editorial review this month. So if anyone wants to see this magazine survive they should go out and buy it.

However, this magazine kinda falls short because the content is always prepared a few months before it's published, so it's a bit outdated.

-moose
chap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I had completely missed that this had happened until this weekend. Have any subscribers been contacted by Anime Insider or Wizard in regards to there subscriptions. I believe I have another year and change left due to me. I will probably try calling tomorrow.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
mozychan wrote:
So if anyone wants to see this magazine survive they should go out and buy it.

I've flipped through this magazine recently, having forgotten all about.

In short: This comment's asking alot. I wouldn't put stock in its paper version's future. The casket's lying over there.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
chap wrote:
Somehow I had completely missed that this had happened until this weekend. Have any subscribers been contacted by Anime Insider or Wizard in regards to there subscriptions. I believe I have another year and change left due to me. I will probably try calling tomorrow.

Good luck with that. Has anyone ever gotten subscription refunds for cancelled magazines? When NewType USA folded, they took my subscription renewal money, and gave me four issues of PiQ instead. I'm bitter because the timing in that case showed that they knew there would be no more issues of NewType USA when they accepted my money.
mightypotato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
I was wondering where my new issues been. Damn thats sad to hear that theres no more AI. Even if some of the news and information was somewhat dated, it still kept a fresh feel to it in the way it was written. Ill miss reading this magazine.
GJMEGA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I just recently got a subscription for this magazine a few months ago. Will I be reimbursed?
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. That means I miss it. Rob Bricken, you great S.O.S, you left the last Reader Mail to Summer Mullins and it blew.

Otaku USA is great and all, but the reviews aren't that great. They aren't really reviews and more like summaries. We can get the sypnosis on our own, thank you. Otherwise, the articles are great. Sadly, their DVD selling point dropped with me alongside their DVD. I'm not getting a subscription due to the fear of it going under.
ThePandaPope

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I've bought every issue since this magazine came out. It made the world better, why do people have to be so [expletive] greedy.

this is rediculous, how far does it have to go, you call yourself [expletive] fans? newtype is dead, anime insider is dead, animerica is dead, geneon is dead, everything is becoming thinpacks because no body will take the [expletive] intiative to stop stealing anime online.

honest people work hard to make anime, it's their job and their life, watching it for free is taking that from them, it puts anime itsself down on the same level as the jonas brothers and other pop cuture bullshit

Don't call yourself a fan if you don't support the industry

If you are a fan, vote with your dollar and keep anime alive.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I apologize first for following in the necroposting but I missed this news article when it came out. I had been looking for new issues as of late as my subscription ended around the holidays last year. This is truly sad news for me. One because I did have a subscription and loved AI. I always found Rob and the gang there produced a very nice magazine and I always preferred it over Animerica or Newtype. The only anime magazine I ever liked more was/is PA. I hope the whole crew there can find jobs if they haven't already.

The second reason I feel the need to necropost and comment is because this is continuing a trend I find to just be so disheartening. That's the gradual demise of the print industry. One by one magazines are shutting down. Ai....Newtype...Animerica for the most part....even others like EGM are going out. Makes me wonder how long my Bon Appetite will remain in circulation. I know we're progressing more and more with technology but dammit I like HOLDING the magazine in my hand. The same with books and manga. I like having that physical copy I can hold and read anytime I want. Hell in an old hope chest in my room at my parents place I have lots of old issues of Ai and Animerica and PA. I often would flip through them just for fun. Seeing AI go under just continues this downward spiral for printed magazines and it's a trend I wish would stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10