• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PRESS RELEASE: Tokyopop Serves up Trio of Cinemanga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Simple Life Cinemanga?

Is it not bad enough that those two bimbos had to dirty our televisions with their low-intelligence crap? Tokyopop keeps sinking lower and lower with all their drivel.

Simple Life has no story, no plot, no anything. They might as well just release a J. Crew catalogue with straw hats.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
... This isn't some sort of joke is it?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This is just wrong on sooo many levels. I've been skeptical about the Cinimanga thing for a while, seems to work best with action and drama, but comedy and live action just won't do. Family Guy involves way too many site gags and singing to be done justice in freeze frames. Malcom in the Middle will lose it's delivery. And Simple Life? Are they crazy? They can forget the word bubbles, you know no one is going to be reading it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why Tokyopop would bother doing cinemanga... personally, I don't see much merit in it :\
haze-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
Money talks. Simple as that.

I dislike the idea, but from their angle all they see are dollar signs.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
Well, it's just the same old crappy franchise spin-off comic they'd make anyway, they're just adding the label "manga" and drawing the characters with larger eyes and triangular mouths to give it some street-cred since "manga" is what's currently the hip thing to associate yourself with to the comic book niche market.

Are they going to attempt to manga-fy the Family Guy characters? Family Guy already has a drawing style, being a cartoon to begin with. (I didn't care at first for the testicle-chins that a lot of the characters have, but I got used to it.) Or is it going to be drawn more or less like the cartoon, making the "manga" label completely meaningless, unless you're speaking Japanese and talking about all comic books and not just Japanese ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Simple Life Cinemanga Anime dazed ? Let me just say this: I didn't watch Simple Life and I never considered Cinemanga to be manga so I don't care. The sad thing is, this crap will probably sell better than the real quality manga Sad .
tekkaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, Tokyopop will realize that Malcom in the Middle and the Simple Life are not great choices. As for the Family Guy, it might find a niche market of a sort.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
Why do you people even bother commenting on this sort of thing? Tokyopop releases both manga - completely unedited and unflipped - and other publications designed to rake in more money. Simple Life cinemanga (which is a terrible idea regardless) isn't aimed at you, it isn't put in comic stores, it isn't targeted at anime fans. This is like if FUNimation also decided to release NASCAR Videos and you all started complaining about how that would affect their anime titles even though there's no correlation. So long as they handle what you DO buy from them properly, what gives you the right to then whine and complain about their business decisions that have absolutely no impact on you whatsoever?

Presumptuous people in here.
Kal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Anime smile + sweatdrop Well, you commented, didn't you?

Anyhow, I've been aware that Tokyopop releases both types of manga (who hasn't?), but... since when did we start complaining that cinemanga was going to affect regular manga? ::wonders where you got that idea:: And as to having the right to whine/complain about their business decisions -- well, why not? People whine and complain about a lot of other things that have no impact on them whatsoever, so why is it any different in this case which would make us 'presumptuous' people?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I believe he used the term presumptuous for one simple reason. The way people are whining about this makes it seem like people presume it will either do poorly, or that it will negatively impact the company enough that it will affect your part of the market.

I have to agree with Zac here on this one fully. After all, even if it's a bad business decision (I think it is) it's not going to matter. If it fails, TP will just go back to the status quo and continue selling to the market they already have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1